1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       21 Sep 2015 #1

    How do I play a DVD?


    How do I play a DVD in Windows 10

    Do I have to purchase a media player or can I do it for Free?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,563
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS 10586.586
       21 Sep 2015 #2

    Hi!

    You can use the free VLC Player. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,847
    Windows 10 Pro
       21 Sep 2015 #3

    Also, if you are interested in a media library player, Kodi for free will also play DVDs, but it's a bit of overkill to just play DVDs:
    Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    21 Sep 2015 #4

    Cluster Head said: View Post
    Hi!

    You can use the free VLC Player. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    I second the motion on VLC.

    The problem is that the default player does not have the codecs needed to play some commercial dvds. Pehaps others too. Microsoft stopped paying the royalties on the codecs they have shipped in past versions of Windows due to the cost (a billion dollars plus) anticipated in the number of Windows 10 giveaways during the Get Windows 10 Program.

    The Windows DVD Player ($14.99) in the Store does have the codecs. It is free if you upgraded from a copy of Windows 7 or 8 that included Media Center (not the same as Media Player).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts : 346
    Windows 10 Pro x3 Windows 10 Home x1
       21 Sep 2015 #5

    Or Potplayer. Global Potplayer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       22 Sep 2015 #6

    Cluster Head said: View Post
    Hi!

    You can use the free VLC Player. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    Excellent! I've used this Player before, Thanks for the Link
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       22 Sep 2015 #7

    Cbarnhorst said: View Post
    I second the motion on VLC.

    The problem is that the default player does not have the codecs needed to play some commercial dvds. Pehaps others too. Microsoft stopped paying the royalties on the codecs they have shipped in past versions of Windows due to the cost (a billion dollars plus) anticipated in the number of Windows 10 giveaways during the Get Windows 10 Program.

    The Windows DVD Player ($14.99) in the Store does have the codecs. It is free if you upgraded from a copy of Windows 7 or 8 that included Media Center (not the same as Media Player).
    Excellent Reply, I never knew any of that!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 169
    windows 10
       22 Sep 2015 #8

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Also, if you are interested in a media library player, Kodi for free will also play DVDs, but it's a bit of overkill to just play DVDs:
    Kodi | Open Source Home Theatre Software
    Thanks I will keep that in mind but maybe overkill as you say.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Can't play DVD's anymore suggestions?
Hi guys can you please recommend an App that will play my DVD files especially the .VOB I have had a look at VLC and Media player in the apps store but I don't like either of them and they was so cluttered to use with both of them and did not play...
General Support
can't play videos
when I play video files on my new Windows 10 system I can only hear the audio but can't see the video
General Support
Play to Device XBOX 360
Was able to select my XBOX 360 from the Charms, Devices, Play menu in Win 8.1 to stream / cast music to my console. I'm assuming this has been replaced by the 'Connect' button in the new notifications area, however, this can't find my XBOX. Have...
Gaming
Can't play mp3 music
I upgraded from 10166 to 10240. I can't play mp3 files on windows media player, vlan media player, or anything else. They played fine on other builds. Is there a way to play them now?
General Support
I've had my play
So I've had Windows 10 on my main desktop for a couple of weeks now. I like what I've seen so far and feel Microsoft are going in the right direction. However because this isn't even a consumer preview yet and I can't use programs like Windows...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums