Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Home
       18 Sep 2015 #1

    Is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts a program?


    Short version: Can I make a shortcut that restarts a program?

    Long version: I absolutely love Windows 10 and am so glad I upgraded! The only bad thing about it that I can find so far is that every once in a while the start menu and Cortana will stop working. Well, I did some research and found out that if you go into the task manager and restart "explorer.exe" that it reloads the start menu and Cortana so I tried it and it worked! The only problem now is that I don't want to have to go into the task manager and restart explorer.exe every time so I was wondering... is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts explorer.exe?

    Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    Eastbourne East Sussex UK
    Posts : 2,435
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 143934.693
       18 Sep 2015 #2

    Why don't you do what I did and I posted about it put the programs you want straight into the Favourites bar and then click straight into them.
    Look at my post Edge Browser

    Edge Browser - Windows 10 Forums
    Last edited by hTconeM9user; 18 Sep 2015 at 15:30. Reason: added
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Sep 2015 #3

    SEC07 said: View Post
    ... is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts explorer.exe?
    A batch file:
    Is there a way to kill explorer.exe and then run a batch file that starts it again?

    And someone wrote a little app too:
    Two tools to exit and restart the explorer shell properly
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    18 Sep 2015 #4

    Whatever you do don't use a script to restart explorer.exe and right click and run it as Admin. It messes up all your permissions.

    Anyway this powershell will stop (and restart) explorer.exe: stop-process -processname explorer
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 654
    Windows 7
       18 Sep 2015 #5

    halasz said: View Post
    Whatever you do don't use a script to restart explorer.exe and right click and run it as Admin. It messes up all your permissions.

    Anyway this powershell will stop (and restart) explorer.exe: stop-process -processname explorer
    By default a process will run with the rights and permissions of the process that started it and almost everything you run will be directly or indirectly started by explorer.exe. That would be convenient, but not very secure. That is why the warning.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Spring Valley
    Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       18 Sep 2015 #6

    SEC07 said: View Post
    Short version: Can I make a shortcut that restarts a program?

    Long version: I absolutely love Windows 10 and am so glad I upgraded! The only bad thing about it that I can find so far is that every once in a while the start menu and Cortana will stop working. Well, I did some research and found out that if you go into the task manager and restart "explorer.exe" that it reloads the start menu and Cortana so I tried it and it worked! The only problem now is that I don't want to have to go into the task manager and restart explorer.exe every time so I was wondering... is it possible to make a shortcut that restarts explorer.exe?

    Thanks!
    Read this: I set up a toggle to start/stop airprint. a couple of good solutions in there, Batch file are still useful!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 2,906
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       18 Sep 2015 #7

    makes me wonder ,, if explorer.exe is not working how you gona run the batch file or what ever you create ...

    seems to me you need to try and fix what ever is causing explorer to crash..
    maybe start with opening a admin command prompt and typing in , sfc /scannow to see if it finds any thing
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       18 Sep 2015 #8

    caperjack said: View Post
    makes me wonder ,, if explorer.exe is not working how you gona run the batch file or what ever you create ...

    seems to me you need to try and fix what ever is causing explorer to crash..
    maybe start with opening a admin command prompt and typing in , sfc /scannow to see if it finds any thing
    Yes indeed. The problem won't go away by just treating the symptom
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,390
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15007
       18 Sep 2015 #9
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Home
       19 Sep 2015 #10

    caperjack said: View Post
    makes me wonder ,, if explorer.exe is not working how you gona run the batch file or what ever you create ...

    seems to me you need to try and fix what ever is causing explorer to crash..
    maybe start with opening a admin command prompt and typing in , sfc /scannow to see if it finds any thing
    The start menu and Cortana not working seems to be a common problem. Everything else is working fine. Any idea what could be wrong?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Rescheduling restarts
I'm not entirely happy that Microsoft demands that I accept all Windows updates (I'm running Win 10 Home), but I understand why they're doing it, and accept it. What's really bugging me is that my laptop keeps switching itself on at 2:30am in...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 restarts without asking
I was performing a first time start up on steam for Grand Theft Auto V. It was installing 1 of 3 components like all games do from steam. Right in the middle of that it restarted for Windows updates. That is not okay. I thought I conquered this by...
Windows Updates and Activation
How do you make program folders?
In previous versions of windows, you could make program folders and nest the programs you wanted inside of them; I have no clue as to how to do that in windows 10; I had them organzied that way in Win 7, and after upgrading to 10, some of them do...
Software and Apps
I'm bored... Who knows what program should I make?
I'm programmer, bored programmer... What program should I make? :p https://programmingpalace.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/photoshopskills.jpg?w=600&h=709 9178http://code.xplorate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/xplorate-funny-5-285x300.jpg :roflmao:
Chillout Room
How I add a shortcut for a DOS program to the Start Menu?
On the 32 bit version of W10, how do I add a shortcut for a DOS program to the Start Menu?
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums