1. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 117
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1607
       14 Sep 2015 #1

    Partition after windows 10 upgrade


    After I upgraded to Windows 10 I noticed it created another hidden partition.
    I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 to Win 10 Pro 64.
    Originally Windows 7 had a 100mb System Reserved now it's showing a unnamed 456mb partition.
    Do I need to keep these? Seems Strange.

    I have another PC i clean installed Windows 10 only made the 450mb unnamed partition not the 100mb one. Seems no need for that one? I wanted to go back to 7 but was over the 30 days seems it all deleted to go back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails partition.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,176
    Windows 10 Home
       14 Sep 2015 #2

    Type this at an elevated (admin) command prompt: reagentc /info

    Does it say the Windows RE is on partition 3?

    That's for Windows Recovery and reset handling - you may not want to unknowingly get rid of it.

    The 100 MB one is your bootloader and I don't think you want to lose that either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 117
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1607
       14 Sep 2015 #3

    Word Man said: View Post
    Type this at an elevated (admin) command prompt: reagentc /info

    Does it say the Windows RE is on partition 3?

    That's for Windows Recovery and reset handling - you may not want to unknowingly get rid of it.

    The 100 MB one is your bootloader and I don't think you want to lose that either.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows re.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	37581this what it says
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       14 Sep 2015 #4

    DrSysop said: View Post
    I wanted to go back to 7 but was over the 30 days seems it all deleted to go back
    You can go back to Win7 any time you like without restriction. You just can't use the MS rollback feature to facilitate the procedure. Just clean install Win7 straight back on to your device if you want!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 117
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1607
       14 Sep 2015 #5

    WhyMe said: View Post
    You can go back to Win7 any time you like without restriction. You just can't use the MS rollback feature to facilitate the procedure. Just clean install Win 7 straight back on to your device if you want!
    Yes I not want to delete everything & start over. I still have the 7 CD but I can't uninstall now it's gone. I remember seeing a folder called windows.old but I also remember seeing a message you can roll back to 7 in the first 30 days. It's been 37 now so I just live with 10 until i am ready to format PC. Just these Blue Screens errors from time to time & all these errors in the event viewer just annoys me. Seems Windows 10 not good on older PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       14 Sep 2015 #6

    DrSysop said: View Post
    Yes I not want to delete everything & start over. I still have the 7 CD but I can't uninstall now it's gone. I remember seeing a folder called windows.old but I also remember seeing a message you can roll back to 7 in the first 30 days. It's been 37 now so I just live with 10 until i am ready to format PC. Just these Blue Screens errors from time to time & all these errors in the event viewer just annoys me. Seems Windows 10 not good on older PC.
    Please read the stuff in my signature (for future reference)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 117
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1607
       14 Sep 2015 #7

    WhyMe said: View Post
    Please read the stuff in my signature (for future reference)
    Yes OK thanks I will next time as I didn't make a image of Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,176
    Windows 10 Home
       14 Sep 2015 #8

    So I think you can see why you don't want to delete any of the 2 smaller partitions. IF you did a clean install on this machine, you'll likely get the same partition layout and you probably don't want to do that any more than you want to do a Win 7 clean install - I believe this one is a GPT laid out disk and uses a UEFI BOOT. Your other machine with 1 less partition is likely am MBR laid out disk with a legacy boot.

    It could be a clean install of Win 10 on this machine would resolve the bugs. Short of that, however, maybe you could start another thread on addressing the blue screen errors and others in event viewer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 117
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1607
       14 Sep 2015 #9

    [QUOTE=Word Man;391728]So I think you can see why you don't want to delete any of the 2 smaller partitions. IF you did a clean install on this machine, you'll likely get the same partition layout and you probably don't want to do that any more than you want to do a Win 7 clean install - I believe this one is a GPT laid out disk and uses a UEFI BOOT. Your other machine with 1 less partition is likely am MBR laid out disk with a legacy boot.

    Yes I will on other problems, But this PC I upgraded from 7 & should it have these 2 hidden partitions? If it's normal I will ignore it. Originally I Installed Win 7 Ultimate 64bit off a DVD then of course SP1 later & so on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,176
    Windows 10 Home
       15 Sep 2015 #10

    DrSysop said: View Post
    Yes I will on other problems, But this PC I upgraded from 7 & should it have these 2 hidden partitions? If it's normal I will ignore it. Originally I Installed Win 7 Ultimate 64bit off a DVD then of course SP1 later & so on.
    I believe it should have those two hidden partitions and I wouldn't mess with them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved upgrade 7 to 10 OK. Can I clean install 10 on another partition
Win 7 is running on partition 1. On a second partition I did a clean install of Win 7 then upgraded to Win10 and all activated OK, giving me a dual boot win 10 or original Win 7. I would now like to do a clean install of Win 10 on the original,...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 will not upgrade (partition issue)
So instead of sleeping started digging into upgrading to windows 10. Dug through forums but could not find any active threads. Long story short. 1 Windows update did not want to run 2 Ran stc/scanow-fixed the one issue there. (Pulled...
Installation and Setup
Solved Win 10 Upgrade Error: Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition
I have a Vaio laptop and migrated my factory Windows 7 install to an SSD about a year ago, which apparently left me with no system reserved partition. I used these instructions to create a new system reserved partition, but I'm still getting the...
Installation and Setup
10525 Upgrade adds new Recovery Partition
After upgrade to 10525 yesterday, I found that Windows without notification or warning had decided to create a new unwanted Recovery Partition. I have never had one before. I have done probably 10 Insider upgrades since last October and this is...
Windows Insider
Windows 10 Upgrade OEM Reserved Partition
I upgraded my custom built desktop from Windows 8.1 Pro With Media Center (Originally Windows 7 Pro Retail), and I've noticed I now have an OEM (Reserved) partition on my drive. I'm just about to do a clean install, and would like to know if it's...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums