1. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       13 Sep 2015 #1

    New folder created by Windows 10 not accessable


    I discovered today that the new pictures folder that was created when the Windows 10 upgrade was done is not accessible to me and I am the only User and I am the administrator of the PC. When I open the security tab of folder properties it shows that I have all permissions but I still can't access the folder
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 2,557
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       13 Sep 2015 #2

    SuperAggie said: View Post
    I discovered today that the new pictures folder that was created when the Windows 10 upgrade was done is not accessible to me and I am the only User and I am the administrator of the PC. When I open the security tab of folder properties it shows that I have all permissions but I still can't access the folder
    I can access the Pictures Folder listed in more than one place in File Explorer except any of the shortcuts shown in Libraries, Documents, gives the same error for My Music, My Pictures and My Videos.
    Attachment 37403
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       14 Sep 2015 #3

    Berton said: View Post
    I can access the Pictures Folder listed in more than one place in File Explorer except any of the shortcuts shown in Libraries, Documents, gives the same error for My Music, My Pictures and My Videos.
    Attachment 37403
    This is almost the same for me, What do we do about it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro
       14 Sep 2015 #4

    I remember having a similar problem even before Windows 10...

    Right-click on one of the folders you can't access from the left panel of explorer. ex: Music (the one with the note, either from (quick access) or (libraries) then select 'Properties'.
    - In the property popup, there <should> be a tab that's called 'Location'.
    - From this 'Location' tab, you'll see where the shortcut points to... is it the correct location? Test it by opening another explorer and going where it says it points to and try to access it from there. Do you get the same error? If so, can you let us know where its points to?

    If you're not sure it points to the correct location, use the 'Reset to default' button & see if it changes. If it does, it was pointing at a location which wasn't the default location... This might explain the error if it's related to 'permissions'.

    oh, and what error do you get when you try to access those folders?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       14 Sep 2015 #5

    Melk said: View Post
    I remember having a similar problem even before Windows 10...

    Right-click on one of the folders you can't access from the left panel of explorer. ex: Music (the one with the note, either from (quick access) or (libraries) then select 'Properties'.
    - In the property popup, there <should> be a tab that's called 'Location'.
    - From this 'Location' tab, you'll see where the shortcut points to... is it the correct location? Test it by opening another explorer and going where it says it points to and try to access it from there. Do you get the same error? If so, can you let us know where its points to?

    If you're not sure it points to the correct location, use the 'Reset to default' button & see if it changes. If it does, it was pointing at a location which wasn't the default location... This might explain the error if it's related to 'permissions'.

    oh, and what error do you get when you try to access those folders?
    I don't think you really understand the problem, but the error I get is Access Denied. All of the folders were created by Windows 10 when it installed. I can actually get to all my pictures in the folders that they were always in but Windows put these links in the very funky start menu and they can not be edited, removed or anything else that I can find. Nor can I add links to the folders that I can access!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
    Last edited by SuperAggie; 14 Sep 2015 at 22:42.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 2,557
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       14 Sep 2015 #6

    I try to keep in mind for file management purposes that those things in the Libraries are mostly just shortcuts to the actual Folders and files seen in C:\Users. When wanting to Copy or backup files I've created or saved I go to my login name Folder in C:\Users.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro
       14 Sep 2015 #7

    [SPOILER]
    SuperAggie said: View Post
    I don't think you really understand the problem, but the error I get is Access Denied. All of the folders were created by Windows 10 when it installed. I can actually get to all my pictures in the folders that they were always in but Windows put these links in the very funky start menu and they can not be edited, removed or anything else that I can find. Nor can I add links to the folders that I can access!
    [/SPOILER]

    Ok, although I didn't get this exact same message tonight (for another reason completely, and coincidentally, I had a security error message as well, just not this one).... after about 2 hours of trying out different security settings, reading up on the internet, testing, etc, it turns out it was my anti-virus (Avast) (duh, what the hell, no messages from the AV either.. anyway)... so I found a <patch> solution for myself.
    My point being that it 'might' be your anti-virus? Otherwise, this is beyond me at the moment.

    Just out of curiosity, have you tried taking ownership of the folder in the security tap->advanced->owner->change?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    15 Sep 2015 #8

    Microsoft is stupid! They have got Windows 10 locked down tighter than a stripped screw!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
       15 Sep 2015 #9

    Melk said: View Post
    [SPOILER][/SPOILER]

    Ok, although I didn't get this exact same message tonight (for another reason completely, and coincidentally, I had a security error message as well, just not this one).... after about 2 hours of trying out different security settings, reading up on the internet, testing, etc, it turns out it was my anti-virus (Avast) (duh, what the hell, no messages from the AV either.. anyway)... so I found a <patch> solution for myself.
    My point being that it 'might' be your anti-virus? Otherwise, this is beyond me at the moment.

    Just out of curiosity, have you tried taking ownership of the folder in the security tap->advanced->owner->change?
    No I will try that but otherwise I am going to stop worrying about this. I downloaded "ClassicShellSetup_4_2_4" last night in the middle of the night that replaces the Windows 10 start menu. In it I can remove the bad links and stop worrying about them. I have another problem that may cause me to totally reinstall anyway. I may have to reinstall Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 10 Themes created by Ten Forums members
Hi fellow Ten Forums geeks :) Thanks to @Wynona's and @Cliff's idea I thought why not start sharing our homemade Windows 10 themes. To keep this clean and simple, please post only themes with copyright free or your self made backgrounds to avoid...
Customization
User Created Windows Ten Wallpapers
My first Windows 10 Wall :) 5345
Customization
Extra partitions created by Windows 10
I downloaded the iso and installed 10 over 7, doing the clean install option instead of an upgrade. After everything setup, I noticed some extra partitions were created that 7 did not have. Both are on my main C: drive. One is 450 MB labeled...
General Support
User Created Windows Nine Wallpapers
This thread is for all user-created Windows 9 wallpapers. The rules are very simple: You may only upload your own creation. Branding allowed Happy posting :)
Customization
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums