Windows 10: Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    13 Sep 2015 #1

    Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files


    Hello,

    I have upgraded to windows 10 from a 7 since one week. I have issue with all directories containing mkv files, the explorer hangs every time it tries to browse the content, even on some rather old mkv files.
    Explorer is unable either to display the duration or to compute a preview, and once it has opened a directory containing one mkv it does not understand, the only solution is to kill it.
    I have been searching the web, but found nobody having such an issue. With win 7 I have never had any issue with these files.
    Has somebody here an idea to solve the problem ? Is there a way to instruct windows 10 to be silly and ignore mkv like a good old win 7, since obviously it cannot read them correctly ?
    Thanks in advance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    13 Sep 2015 #2

    In Settings, System, Default Apps click Choose Default Apps by File Type. Scroll down to mkv in the left column - what app is shown for them? Mine says Movies and TV, but I don't have any MKV files on my computer to see how they act. If yours doesn't say Movies and TV, try changing it to that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    13 Sep 2015 #3

    Hello

    I have already done that putting vlc but it has absolutely no effect on explorer which obviously continues do use the same soft to display information.
    It is weird that I am the only one to have this issue. I really do not have the impression that my mkv are using strange codecs, but now its a bit difficult to check as I can browse them...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Sep 2015 #4

    Just out of interest try Explorer++ . It's a portable application, just unzip and run it from there. MKV thumbnails should appear in the bottom preview pane. I prefer it to the default file explorer. It's very powerful, be careful

    https://explorerplusplus.com/
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Sep 2015 #5

    17132 said: View Post
    Is there a way to instruct windows 10 to be silly and ignore mkv like a good old win 7, since obviously it cannot read them correctly ?

    Thanks in advance.
    I have no solution to offer. Just wanted to let you know I upgraded from Windows 7 as well. I have a ton of MKV files mostly made with "Make MKV" from my DVD collection and have not experienced any problems with them in Explorer or otherwise.

    I'm sorry I can't be more helpful though, sometimes it can be useful to know the problem isn't universal.

    It would be interesting to know if, as Torquemada
    suggested, the problem persists with a different explorer.
    D
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    13 Sep 2015 #6

    Perhaps some of the mkv files are damaged, thus, Explorer hangs when it tries to read them to get information,
    and/or display the thumbnails.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Sep 2015 #7

    17132 said: View Post
    Hello

    I have already done that putting vlc but it has absolutely no effect on explorer which obviously continues do use the same soft to display information.
    It is weird that I am the only one to have this issue. I really do not have the impression that my mkv are using strange codecs, but now its a bit difficult to check as I can browse them...
    ure not the only one, i am have this since day 1 on windows 10 for almost over a month now.

    * MP4's are absolutely fine.
    * Only 5-10% of the mkv files are affected.
    * Even SOME of the latest tv shows i downloaded yesterday and the day before is affected. So data corruption is not the problem.
    * I have only vlc installed and no other codecs,so codec conflict is not the issue.
    * For some of the folders(with those problem mkv's) disabling the details/preview panel that shows the file info in the right side helps. But not in every case.
    * what i have concluded thus far over a month is- the culprit is com surrogate process using too much hard disk usage while opening those folders and it has something got to do with it unable to generate thumbnails or displaying them.
    Fun part is

    * i downloaded game of thrones 4 seasons pack (~50 gb), 4 seasons in four different folders, season 1,4 are fine, the folders with season 2,3 are taking too long to load(the green loading url) and explorer stops responding.

    IMP ---- keep the thread alive and share remedies
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    14 Sep 2015 #8

    17132 said: View Post
    Hello,

    I have upgraded to windows 10 from a 7 since one week. I have issue with all directories containing mkv files, the explorer hangs every time it tries to browse the content, even on some rather old mkv files.
    Explorer is unable either to display the duration or to compute a preview, and once it has opened a directory containing one mkv it does not understand, the only solution is to kill it.
    I have been searching the web, but found nobody having such an issue. With win 7 I have never had any issue with these files.
    Has somebody here an idea to solve the problem ? Is there a way to instruct windows 10 to be silly and ignore mkv like a good old win 7, since obviously it cannot read them correctly ?
    Thanks in advance.
    It'll be a problem with the thumbnail/info generation due to whatever codecs you have installed and whatever app you have set to generate thumbnails.

    Install K-Lite Codec Mega Pack and that will install the correct codecs for your system; have Icaros ticked for thumbnail generation in the installation options.

    Download K-Lite Codec Pack
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    15 Sep 2015 #9

    Nus said: View Post
    It'll be a problem with the thumbnail/info generation due to whatever codecs you have installed and whatever app you have set to generate thumbnails.

    Install K-Lite Codec Mega Pack and that will install the correct codecs for your system; have Icaros ticked for thumbnail generation in the installation options.

    Download K-Lite Codec Pack
    this is not a codec issue.

    Its dllhost.exe com surrogate issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 64-bit
       18 Sep 2015 #10

    I have the exact same problem and I tried everything but it's still not solved. It has indeed something to do with dllhost.exe COM surrogate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I recently upgraded both my PC to Windows 10, and whenever I copy large amount of files (or analyzing large amount of files before copying), with explorer.exe uses a massive amount of CPU (~50%) and memory (~up to 3 GB). System process also uses a...
Hi, I am using Win 10 x64 Pro, clean installation. 1. Recent folders in explorer jump list are not updating. http://i.imgur.com/it4cdf6m.jpg They seem to be random folders from my second HDD and clicking on them says the folder has been...
Today after starting my computer, I realized that quick access items disappeared and I am unable to pin anything. In addition, all pinned items in the menu that appears when you right click on the file explorer disappeared as well. I am...
I have a VOIP service that saves every voicemail with the same name. When I opened them with Windows 7 Outlook, a temporary internet file was placed in the folder: "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet...
When I launch file explorer and get the home view, it is showing a bunch of filenames in Chinese characters (see attached screenshot) which it says are in the desktop folder. However there are no such files when I look at the desktop folder. WTF? ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53.
Find Us