How do I transfer data from HDD to a SDD or M.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 450
    Windows 11 Pro version22H2 ( OS Build 22621.2861 )
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Ghot said:
    Yeah, you can just copy / paste the files.
    thanks, it will take a while but it would cloning also..
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 10
    W10 Pro x64
       #12

    I would recommend to use ROBOCOPY, its cmd/powershell windows built in, and its faster when working with thousands of files/folders and also you can have a log file
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 450
    Windows 11 Pro version22H2 ( OS Build 22621.2861 )
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Eaglepi said:
    Thanks, I thought that would be the answer but wanted to ask anyways.

    - - - Updated - - -



    does anyone have any suggestions on cloning software I am looking for the most user friendly ( easiest to use ) all I plan to use it for is copying or cloning data ( not OS ) from my HDD to new SSD I just bought. The HDD are 2 TB and the SSD are also 2 TB
    maybe you missed this in a earlier post.................lol
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Pro
       #14

    If you're gong to just do a copy/paste maneuver, I'd use Teracopy to bypass Explorer which can be slower and I think has more overhead or something. I just found Teracopy works better. Especially for transferring data to a USB drive. But! Know this: never cut and paste to an external HDD like a USB drive. You just want to copy/paste. Reason being is that data can go *poof* with a cut operation to external media and then your source data is now *poof* gone. There ya go...

    What I personally like to use for whole data backups like yours (and on a schedule dictated by Windows Task Scheduler) is FreeFileSync. But you did ask for "easy" and FreeFileSync may not be easy for you. At least without reading about it...
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 450
    Windows 11 Pro version22H2 ( OS Build 22621.2861 )
    Thread Starter
       #15

    F22 Simpilot said:
    If you're gong to just do a copy/paste maneuver, I'd use Teracopy to bypass Explorer which can be slower and I think has more overhead or something. I just found Teracopy works better. Especially for transferring data to a USB drive. But! Know this: never cut and paste to an external HDD like a USB drive. You just want to copy/paste. Reason being is that data can go *poof* with a cut operation to external media and then your source data is now *poof* gone. There ya go...

    What I personally like to use for whole data backups like yours (and on a schedule dictated by Windows Task Scheduler) is FreeFileSync. But you did ask for "easy" and FreeFileSync may not be easy for you. At least without reading about it...
    .
    I own Goodsync which is what I use to backup my data from the main drive to the other two drives. I don't sync I just copy from left to right. I setup jobs and it does it's thing, that is what Teracopy does from what I read so I could just use GoodSync rather than buying Teracopy
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 104
    Windows 10 Home 22H2
       #16

    Don't mean to derail the thread. To the Fastcopy enthusiasts, is there a way to export the saved Jobs list. As far as I've checked, there isn't an option either in the UI or via command line, nor can I find it anywhere in the concerned Roaming folder. Is it stored somewhere in the Registry only? I'm using the portable version if that makes a difference.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 380
    Windows 10
       #17

    1. Macirum Reflect
    2. WIN10PE edition using whichever drive copy tool.

    The idea is that your windows install needs the System/boot director as well hard drive. This is why just a regular
    copying will not work. You have to rebuild the boot/system director from scratch ( which is tedious ).
    That being said you could upgrade a MBR to GPT install of Windows but I do not know the other way around.


    F22 Simpilot said:
    Off topic, but did you know Einstein wore fuzzy slippers? LOL

    Attachment 392319
    The reason usually is because he could not tie-his-own shoes.
    He had a larger brain then other people for his time ( and even now ).
    Possibly Autism ( reason why we have languages which reads right to left like Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Korean, ),
    dysphoria, or some other "disability" ( which could have been an enhancement ).
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 450
    Windows 11 Pro version22H2 ( OS Build 22621.2861 )
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Daymin said:
    1. Macirum Reflect
    2. WIN10PE edition using whichever drive copy tool.

    The idea is that your windows install needs the System/boot director as well hard drive. This is why just a regular
    copying will not work. You have to rebuild the boot/system director from scratch ( which is tedious ).
    That being said you could upgrade a MBR to GPT install of Windows but I do not know the other way around.




    The reason usually is because he could not tie-his-own shoes.
    He had a larger brain then other people for his time ( and even now ).
    Possibly Autism ( reason why we have languages which reads right to left like Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Korean, ),
    dysphoria, or some other "disability" ( which could have been an enhancement ).
    I'm not cloning my OS, just saved data files, as I said above I have a sync/backup software called GoodSync that I can use to copy the files from my HDD to my SDD.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 380
    Windows 10
       #19

    Okay.

    Well I know that Apple had a backup mechanism where you could schedule a backup across the interner
    to another Mac computer.

    I am not too sure Windows have that function, but again I am not for OneDrive and online storage mediums.

    I wish I had an auto-back-up system. I do everything manually. What I find is that there is a limit to the large file transfer
    but I have been successful moving 60GB file via network in the past years, but beyond that is the time consumption,
    bus-speed, and various writing security.

    That all goes well.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 282
    Windows 10 Pro
       #20

    Eaglepi said:
    .
    ...that is what Teracopy does from what I read so I could just use GoodSync rather than buying Teracopy
    Teracopy is free unless you want the Pro version...
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:19.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums