Laptop Shuts Down instead of Restarting when clicking on Restart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
       #1

    Laptop Shuts Down instead of Restarting when clicking on Restart


    Laptop will Shut Down normally when Shut Down and power on normally. If I choose Restart instead, it just Shuts Down and never Restarts. When attempting to power on after the failed restart, the keyboard lights up for about 10 seconds, black screen, no fan noise, and then it shuts off. The only solution I've found to work consistently is to open up the back, unplug the battery from the motherboard, and plug it right back in. Powers on normally every time after doing this.

    If, however, my laptop is plugged into my external monitor, and I choose Restart, everything works normally, and it will power on automatically like it should. I've tested this numerous times with the laptop by itself and connected to my monitor, both on just battery power and on just AC power, and it's the same findings.

    Never had this problem before until I recently had to change out my keyboard and DC power jack. I upgraded to the latest version of Windows, and tried some old Macrium backups to test if it was a software issue, and this problem occurs on all versions. I'm assuming this is a hardware issue of some sort - my guess is battery but its charging normally, still 80% health, an in excellent condition according to Dell Power Manager. I have tried uninstalling Battery drivers and reinstalling them and holding the power button down with no battery and just the AC Adapter plugged in for 30 seconds. I will attempt to order a new battery and battery cable that connects to the motherboard to test, but if anyone is familiar with this issue please let me know.


    Windows 10 1709 (16299.1127)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 85
    Win 10
       #2
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I read and did those in the article before posting here
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,012
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #4

    1 Are there any yellow warning triangles in Device manager?
    2 Does SFC have anything to say?
    SFC-DISM - TenForumsTutorials
    Use Option 3 including, if there are irreparable errors, going online to run the DISM command explained at the end of Option 3.


    Denis
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Try3 said:
    1 Are there any yellow warning triangles in Device manager?
    2 Does SFC have anything to say?
    SFC-DISM - TenForumsTutorials
    Use Option 3 including, if there are irreparable errors, going online to run the DISM command explained at the end of Option 3.


    Denis
    Zero yellow triangles

    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

    Also, tried new battery and battery to motherboard cable and made no difference.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,012
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #6

    Is your Bios up to date?

    You don't mention why you are still on Version 1709.
    "I upgraded to the latest version of Windows" does not match that.

    About Device manger:- Sorry, I should have asked about warning triangles and whether you had an 'Other devices' section [since that is a euphemism for no driver installed].
    Laptop Shuts Down instead of Restarting when clicking on Restart-device-manager-warning-signs-icons-other-devices.png



    Denis
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Try3 said:
    Is your Bios up to date?

    You don't mention why you are still on Version 1709.
    "I upgraded to the latest version of Windows" does not match that.

    About Device manger:- Sorry, I should have asked about warning triangles and whether you had an 'Other devices' section [since that is a euphemism for no driver installed].
    Laptop Shuts Down instead of Restarting when clicking on Restart-device-manager-warning-signs-icons-other-devices.png



    Denis
    Bios is up to date

    I upgraded just to see if restarting would work on the latest version. Since it didn't I downgraded to the version I prefer and have always used

    No "Other Devices" is showing up in Device Manager
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,012
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #8

    I'm out of ideas.


    user6783 said:
    If, however, my laptop is plugged into my external monitor, and I choose Restart, everything works normally, and it will power on automatically like it should. I've tested this numerous times with the laptop by itself and connected to my monitor, both on just battery power and on just AC power, and it's the same findings.
    This difference in behaviour would make me reinstall the display driver in case it was corrupt.

    I would also check through my Bios looking for I-know-not-what.



    Sorry I couldn't help,
    Best of luck,
    Denis
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 43,193
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #9

    Do you have the same problem when restarting from Safe Mode?

    Fast Startup should be irrelevant here as if you have that enabled, that should reduce cold boot times- it's not meant to affect restart.

    That said, ensure it's disabled.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    dalchina said:
    Do you have the same problem when restarting from Safe Mode?

    Fast Startup should be irrelevant here as if you have that enabled, that should reduce cold boot times- it's not meant to affect restart.

    That said, ensure it's disabled.
    Same issue even in safe mode

    Fast Startup was off
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:15.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums