Laptop Shuts Down instead of Restarting when clicking on Restart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 17,012
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #11

    In that case you can ignore my comment about reinstalling the display driver [it is not used in Safe mode].

    Denis
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Try3 said:
    In that case you can ignore my comment about reinstalling the display driver [it is not used in Safe mode].

    Denis
    I had tried that prior to posting because of the success with the external monitor, but it made no difference.

    Interestingly when I exit out of BIOS, is the only time it will correctly reboot on it's own.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4,824
    Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit 22H2
       #13

    Boot into Setup (Bios) set Bios to Default, usually pressing the F5 key. Save and Exit.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #14

    spunk said:
    Boot into Setup (Bios) set Bios to Default, usually pressing the F5 key. Save and Exit.
    Just tried it and same issue. In fact, after it shut down, normally when I go to power it back on the keyboard will light up for about 10 seconds likes it's attempting power on - this time no keyboard light almost as if it the mobo was dead completely.

    Unplugged/replugged the battery, and powered on as usual afterwards.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 43,199
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #15

    The most likely cause as you might guess is something you did inadvertently when you opened up the laptop. I.e. hardware somehow.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 41,534
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #16

    user6783 said:
    Laptop will Shut Down normally when Shut Down and power on normally. If I choose Restart instead, it just Shuts Down and never Restarts. When attempting to power on after the failed restart, the keyboard lights up for about 10 seconds, black screen, no fan noise, and then it shuts off. The only solution I've found to work consistently is to open up the back, unplug the battery from the motherboard, and plug it right back in. Powers on normally every time after doing this.

    If, however, my laptop is plugged into my external monitor, and I choose Restart, everything works normally, and it will power on automatically like it should. I've tested this numerous times with the laptop by itself and connected to my monitor, both on just battery power and on just AC power, and it's the same findings.

    Never had this problem before until I recently had to change out my keyboard and DC power jack.
    Windows 10 1709 (16299.1127)

    How come the computer is using Windows 1709?

    What were the problems with the DC power jack and keyboard? Can these areas be reevaluated? Swap test?

    What happens when the laptop is connected to the external monitor cable without attaching the monitor?



    Running multiple Windows versions / images indicated a non-operating system problem.

    For additional confirmation you can try an alternative operating system (Ubuntu).

    Also open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:
    msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
    msdt.exe -id PowerDiagnostic

    Click view detailed information > post images or share inks into this thread



    If not already performed:

    a) Run the Dell full custom diagnostics > post images or share links of the results
    b) Reset the BIOS / Replace the CMOS battery
    Last edited by zbook; 24 May 2023 at 13:22.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #17

    zbook said:
    How come the computer is using Windows 1709?

    What were the problems with the DC power jack and keyboard? Can these areas be reevaluated? Swap test?

    What happens when the laptop is connected to the external monitor cable without attaching the monitor?



    Running multiple Windows versions / images indicated a non-operating system problem.

    For additional confirmation you can try an alternative operating system (Ubuntu).

    Also open administrative command prompt and copy and paste:
    msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
    msdt.exe -id PowerDiagnostic

    Click view detailed information > post images or share inks into this thread



    If not already performed:

    a) Run the Dell full custom diagnostics > post images or share links of the results
    b) Reset the BIOS / Replace the CMOS battery
    - The keyboard needed replacing due to old age/use. After replacing the keyboard successfully I noticed my laptop was not charging correctly. "Plugged in, not charging" was the message. Ordered a new dc jack, installed it. Now it's back to charging correctly. Ordered a new Dc jack just to try and see if it makes any difference.

    -It does not work correctly without the cable being directly connected to the external monitor.

    -Device Diagnostics did not find anything
    -Power Diagnostics just suggested switch my power plan from High performance to a more efficient plan. Shut down and restarted and did not solve the issue.


    -Dell Diagnostics attached - everything passed
    -I've reset the BIOS and does not solve issue. Will try replacing old CMOS with a new and report back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laptop Shuts Down instead of Restarting when clicking on Restart-dell-diagnostic-result.png  
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,012
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #18

    user6783 said:
    - The keyboard needed replacing due to old age/use. After replacing the keyboard successfully I noticed my laptop was not charging correctly. "Plugged in, not charging" was the message. Ordered a new dc jack, installed it. Now it's back to charging correctly. Ordered a new Dc jack just to try and see if it makes any difference.
    "After replacing the keyboard successfully I noticed my laptop was not charging correctly"
    Are you certain that it was charging correctly beforehand? If so then I'd recheck its connections and that it is the correct keyboard.
    I appreciate that you might well have said"noticed" because you're not sure either way.

    user6783 said:
    Power Diagnostics just suggested switch my power plan from High performance to a more efficient plan.
    Yes, I've never seen anybody report that Power Diagnostics achieved anything worthwhile.

    Try3 said:
    I would also check through my Bios looking for I-know-not-what.
    I cannot get rid of the nagging feeling that the Bios might reveal something about the problem.

    Like dalchina, I do also wonder if a mistake was made when you had the back off but I imagine you've already checked that.



    All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 41,534
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #19

    Please run the V2 log collector and post a share link into this thread using one drive, drop box, or google drive.

    BSOD - Posting Instructions


    Run:

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...p_plus_log.bat

    https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...ercfg_info.bat

    Post share links into this thread using one drive, drop box, or google drive.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #20

    Try3 said:
    "After replacing the keyboard successfully I noticed my laptop was not charging correctly"
    Are you certain that it was charging correctly beforehand? If so then I'd recheck its connections and that it is the correct keyboard.
    I appreciate that you might well have said"noticed" because you're not sure either way.


    Yes, I've never seen anybody report that Power Diagnostics achieved anything worthwhile.


    I cannot get rid of the nagging feeling that the Bios is involved in the problem or might reveal something about it.

    Like dalchina, I do also wonder if an error was made when you had the back off but I imagine you've already checked that.



    All the best,
    Denis
    Everything was working perfect other than the keyboard beforehand. I do remember like a night or two before my keyboard came in, I went to move my laptop and the charging cable was caught on a shelf, and it caused the power cord to yank out of the DC jack fairly hard. I am assuming that probably is what caused a need for the new power jack, because I never noticed a charging problem beforehand.

    As far as connections and screws, everything is accounted for. It's running great other than the Restart issue now that the power jack was replaced. I was very careful dealing with the motherboard, and I'm assuming had I damaged any physical hardware just from handling it, it would either show up on one of the diagnostics, or be fairly obvious.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums