How to convert files to zero sized files in a folder?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #21

    Marie SWE said:
    One question
    why not just delete the files if you going to destroy them anyway? as 0 byte files cant be restored in the same way trash bin files can.
    Deleting the files mean Windows will eventually make them disappear and I'll lose track of them, and the file names I want to preserve will intermingle with other deletions I'm not interested in.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,271
    Linux:Debian, Kali-Linux... 2xWin8.1,1x7Pro, Retro:1x2003server.1xXPpro, 1xW2k,1x98SE,1x95,1x3.11
       #22

    bofhlusr said:
    Deleting the files mean Windows will eventually make them disappear and I'll lose track of them, and the file names I want to preserve will intermingle with other deletions I'm not interested in.
    Of course the files will disappear on deletion. But you had a command that made the file list to a TXT file.. that way you can keep track on them in the document instead of a folder.
    Then when new files had to be add you make a new text file and then merges the files to one file.
    Keep thousands of empty files in a folder is harder to keep track on then in a text document as you have search function.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #23

    I understand. For troubleshooting purposes, among other uses I listed above (trash functionality), I'd rather use Windows Explorer:

    1. By using two instances of Windows Explorer, easily make side by side comparison, between two folders
    2. I am hoping I can simply copy a zero-byte folder to a new folder and answering 'no' when Windows Explorer asks me if I want to overwrite existing files. The result: I end up only copying new files or no files copied
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 765
    Windows 7
       #24

    OP is trying to create a poor person's Content Management System. Files are being collected, but to prevent re-downloading of unwanted content, a zero-length file serves as a placeholder. Keeping them in folders helps quickly review related file collections.

    If you didn't have a database solution, this would be the way to do it for free. I doubt there's an UI-based app which allows you to browse folders, mark files and truncate (not delete) them. This isn't a need that attracts enough developer interest.

    It sounds like the gap isn't the bulk process of overwriting a set of files, but having a neat UI to handle file multi-selection.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #25

    garlin said:
    OP is trying to create a poor person's Content Management System. Files are being collected, but to prevent re-downloading of unwanted content, a zero-length file serves as a placeholder. Keeping them in folders helps quickly review related file collections.

    If you didn't have a database solution, this would be the way to do it for free. I doubt there's an UI-based app which allows you to browse folders, mark files and truncate (not delete) them. This isn't a need that attracts enough developer interest.

    It sounds like the gap isn't the bulk process of overwriting a set of files, but having a neat UI to handle file multi-selection.
    Nice explanation. Thank you. Yes. A simple "neat UI".
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,271
    Linux:Debian, Kali-Linux... 2xWin8.1,1x7Pro, Retro:1x2003server.1xXPpro, 1xW2k,1x98SE,1x95,1x3.11
       #26

    bofhlusr said:
    I understand. For troubleshooting purposes, among other uses I listed above (trash functionality), I'd rather use Windows Explorer:

    1. By using two instances of Windows Explorer, easily make side by side comparison, between two folders
    2. I am hoping I can simply copy a zero-byte folder to a new folder and answering 'no' when Windows Explorer asks me if I want to overwrite existing files. The result: I end up only copying new files or no files copied
    One way to do that is create link files. Mark all files, right click create link. Then copy the links to another folder. sure all will have .lnk as extension.. But if you create a link of the same file a second time and try to copy the link to the other folder, then explorer will say it contain a file with the same name. and that is close to 0byte perhaps 1 or 2byte
    Just a thought
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,271
    Linux:Debian, Kali-Linux... 2xWin8.1,1x7Pro, Retro:1x2003server.1xXPpro, 1xW2k,1x98SE,1x95,1x3.11
       #27

    garlin said:
    OP is trying to create a poor person's Content Management System. Files are being collected, but to prevent re-downloading of unwanted content, a zero-length file serves as a placeholder. Keeping them in folders helps quickly review related file collections.

    If you didn't have a database solution, this would be the way to do it for free. I doubt there's an UI-based app which allows you to browse folders, mark files and truncate (not delete) them. This isn't a need that attracts enough developer interest.

    It sounds like the gap isn't the bulk process of overwriting a set of files, but having a neat UI to handle file multi-selection.
    I have never tried to do something like that.
    I use file-sync FreeFileSync: Open Source File Synchronization & Backup Software so if file already exists it wont copy.. if the file don't exist it will copy the file. Then i have set to never delete target files if i have deleted source files... but it isn't 0byte files... as why keep them as they are of no use. (in my world so to speak) I do use file indexing, but that is in document format.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #28

    Marie SWE said:
    ... as why keep them as they are of no use.
    I'm actually not keeping the files. Just their filenames (and their location in the file path).

    - - - Updated - - -

    If anyone is wondering what these files are about, take a look at this zip file. If you unzip, please be aware that it contains over 170,000 files (and it's only for the state of California):

    POI Billboards of USA - State of California for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 765
    Windows 7
       #29

    I looked at Missouri's ZIP, since it was obviously smaller than CA. For the 99% of us who don't customize MSFS, how do you determine which files to keep or zero out? Are you manually examining every asset?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #30

    garlin said:
    I looked at Missouri's ZIP, since it was obviously smaller than CA. For the 99% of us who don't customize MSFS, how do you determine which files to keep or zero out? Are you manually examining every asset?
    I don't know yet. I'm not at that point. It'll probably be a lot of trial-and-error initially. I created another post asking how to identify files used by a program.

    What I'd look to do is identifly files and folders I don't need and hopefully reduce load times.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums