Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,246
    Windows 10 IoT
       01 Sep 2015 #71

    caperjack said: View Post
    oh, maybe I will opt out to see what happens
    You can always opt back in if the watermark doesn't go away. 10240 had no watermark or detectable expiry date. That sparked the "is it the RTM build debate". You weren't supposed to be activated unless you originally di an upgrade from a qualifying OS but I think a few slipped through the cracks and stayed activated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,246
    Windows 10 IoT
       01 Sep 2015 #72

    Marron said: View Post
    Nope. I'm not. I'm just going to sell my PC somewhere in October (a kid's father wants to give his son a good gaming PC for his birthday, so he asked me to sell mine) and then I'll buy a new one. Building a PC is always fun, and it's a good opportunity to try out water cooling. And just to note, I'm already grateful enough to Microsoft to not pirate their OS anytime soon. They let me be an insider, and I learned a lot of cool stuff in that time-frame, (commands like sfc /scannow, or how to move files from command line when explorer got completely corrupted, installed the OS many times in many different ways, upgrades, clean installs, played with buggy versions of windows, installed the most stable versions on friend's computers etc.), and what's more, they gave me free licenses for a bunch of computers: my PC, my laptop, my mum's PC, one of my best friend's laptop and that kid's old laptop. So I'll buy a retail version to say 'thanks' (and to activate my new PC, of course, even if it's expensive).


    Now @alphanumeric
    I wonder why you didn't say anything about the topic though.
    Say anything about what in particular?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 2,924
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       01 Sep 2015 #73

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    You can always opt back in if the watermark doesn't go away. 10240 had no watermark or detectable expiry date. That sparked the "is it the RTM build debate". You weren't supposed to be activated unless you originally di an upgrade from a qualifying OS but I think a few slipped through the cracks and stayed activated.
    ok, mine is now showing watermark of 10532 ,and its a clean install done long before the release and not an upgrade
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,246
    Windows 10 IoT
       01 Sep 2015 #74

    Marron said: View Post
    @alphanumeric
    I do have a retail key, but I have no idea how to use it. It's the key that came with my laptop. When I installed Windows 10 (Technical Preview) on my laptop I wiped it's SSD so I don't use it any more, but it's still written near my laptop's battery.
    But when I checked that key on Microsoft's website I get this:

    Attachment 35194
    EDIT: On a note, it's a Win7 PRO key.
    Is that the Windows 7 software download site? http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softw...nload/windows7 It never worked for me? If it's the key on the COA sticker, its an OEM key, and that's why that message tells you to contact the manufacturer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Mar 2015
    Posts : 189
    Windows 10 PRO (upgrade from TP)
       01 Sep 2015 #75

    caperjack said: View Post
    ok, mine is now showing watermark of 10532 ,and its a clean install done long before the release and not an upgrade
    Mine has no watermark, and shows 'Windows is activated' since 21st of July, when the 10240 upgrade came in. And it's the same on all 3 machines in my house. You might have missed an upgrade or something ...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Mar 2015
    Posts : 189
    Windows 10 PRO (upgrade from TP)
       01 Sep 2015 #76

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Is that the Windows 7 software download site? http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softw...nload/windows7 It never worked for me? If it's the key on the COA sticker, its an OEM key, and that's why that message tells you to contact the manufacturer.
    It's here:
    Windows 7
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fATY6W2.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	35196
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,246
    Windows 10 IoT
       01 Sep 2015 #77

    caperjack said: View Post
    ok, mine is now showing watermark of 10532 ,and its a clean install done long before the release and not an upgrade
    I don't think it will work with 10532, Microsoft changed the rules when the Consumer release came out. https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...w-build-10525/ No more free rides.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,246
    Windows 10 IoT
       01 Sep 2015 #78

    Marron said: View Post
    It's here:
    Windows 7
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fATY6W2.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	35196
    Yeah, that's the site. Looks like it rejects OEM keys. I couldn't even do a download with a Retail key, all I got was error messages. The Digital River downloads have been pulled so I don't know of another official download site. Other than MSDN, but you need a subscription to download from there. I have one so that's where I get my ISO's.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Mar 2015
    Posts : 189
    Windows 10 PRO (upgrade from TP)
       01 Sep 2015 #79

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I don't think it will work with 10532, Microsoft changed the rules when the Consumer release came out. https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...w-build-10525/ No more free rides.
    Shouldn't 10525 be after 10240 ? If so, he should have received the free license ...

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Yeah, that's the site. Looks like it rejects OEM keys. I couldn't even do a download with a Retail key, all I got was error messages. The Digital River downloads have been pulled so I don't know of another official download site. Other than MSDN, but you need a subscription to download from there. I have one so that's where I get my ISO's.
    I happen to have a Win7 PRO ISO from a 3rd party site I downloaded a while ago, dunno if I should trust that or not, but if my key is a OEM key, will it work on a new PC ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Mar 2015
    Posts : 189
    Windows 10 PRO (upgrade from TP)
       01 Sep 2015 #80

    sn00ker said: View Post
    You don't have to take the expensive route if money is an issue . I would instead try to buy an oem version of either windows 7 pro/ultimate or windows 8 pro and then get the free upgrade to windows 10 pro . It much cheaper and you can re install windows 10 as many times as you like on your new computer . The only advantage for getting a retail version is if you're planning to transfer that windows on a new computer again, and again and again and so on
    Hopefully, money won't be an issue in a few months or so, 'cause I got my first job at a nice company (I'm turning 19 at the end of this month)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
A Few Parts
If anyone wants a unused CPU X4 860K, a couple of Vengeance 2GB DDR3 1600 ram sticks, a Fractal 400 watt PSU just PM me and they are yours. Free of course
General Support
parts of app window is offscreen
Most of the times I start and app, a part of its window is offscreen, though it is maximized or fullscreen, here is an example: 15163 I hope you will understand what I am talking about by checking the right at the search box. This makes the Mail...
Software and Apps
Solved Constant BSODS After getting new parts.
So here is my story. I had an old PC with a first Gen i5 and some other parts and-... Well long story short I replaced my mobo, Processor and video card. Didnt get bluescreens till I replaced the parts. I did memcheck and the mem comes up clear, I...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums