Windows 10: I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? Solved

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Sep 2015 #31

    AddRAM said: View Post
    Your question has been answered, if you sell the pC with your key, then no you can`t keep it and use it again.

    But if it were a retail Windows 7 key, you would be a fool tolet it go.

    Tell us exactly what type of license it is, and we`ll let you know if you can keep it, simple as that

    Refer back to post #3

    And if the PC you are selling has been upgraded to Windows 10, then guess what, there is no more key to keep.

    You loose it when you upgrade to 10, someone correct me if I`m wrong.
    I don't know if I have a key or not, but I guess I don't. The license I have is the license Microsoft gave me for being an insider. I used Windows TP for a few months and then it got upgraded to Windows 10 PRO. That's the license I have. Can I keep it ? (I never stated that I want to keep a 'key', only the 'license'). And I'll format the hard drive regardless of the fact that I can keep the license or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,024
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       01 Sep 2015 #32

    The license is the key, the key is the license, you are confused.

    No clue why you are using the term license.

    No you can`t keep it, there`s nothing to keep'

    You have to install 7 SP1, 8 or 8.1 and upgrade to 10 for free from that on the new hardware or just buy Windows 10 Retail, end of story.

    Make sure you tell a potential customer how you arrived at Windows 10 when you sell the PC, it`s just good etiquette

    If you don`t have an Operating System to put on the PC you want to sell, then just leave Windows 10 on it.

    Your new PC will come with Windows, if you are building your own PC, then of course you will have to buy Windows if you don`t already own 7 or 8 or 8.1.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    01 Sep 2015 #33

    I'm somewhat surprised about the incorrect things that have been said in this thread.

    "There is no license": That's of course completely wrong. Microsoft is the holder of the intellectual property of Windows 10. They are the only ones that are allowed to use Windows 10. Everybody who want's to use Windows 10 needs permission from MS to use it and what's the name for such a permission? Exactly, it's a license. So in order to use Windows 10 you definitely need a license, even if you upgraded from a predecessor like Windows 8.1. The only difference are the conditions that license comes with. Permission to use software (either protected or open source) = license.

    "There is no license key": Wrong again, there is definitely a license key for Windows 10, even if you upgraded from an older Windows version. That key is needed if you want to install Windows 10 again (so called clean install). It can be acquired using tools like License Crawler or ProduKey by Nirsoft (which belongs to MS I think). Take a look at the following print screen which shows my license key of Windows 10 after upgrading from 8.1 (obfuscated of course).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	License_Key_W_10_edited.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	35143

    Now back to the question of the op: I highly doubt it's possible to transfer the license of an upgraded Windows 10 to another machine. But I'd still try it. First make sure the hdds in the pc pc you want to sell are completely clean meaning Windows 10 is not installed anymore. Then I'd call MS and ask them to manually activate Windows 10 telling them something about a broken mainboard that had to be replaced. It might work but probably it wont. According to the EULA of Windows 10 upgrade it shouldn't but who knows
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 728
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86
       01 Sep 2015 #34

    Antilope said: View Post
    From the looks of things, a lot of people are "driving" Windows 10 on a learners permit.
    Trying to run it in a VM on a Laptop I felt like a kid on a trike with the little bell and balloons on the handlebars.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Sep 2015 #35

    altae said: View Post
    I'm somewhat surprised about the incorrect things that have been said in this thread.

    "There is no license": That's of course completely wrong. Microsoft is the holder of the intellectual property of Windows 10. They are the only ones that are allowed to use Windows 10. Everybody who want's to use Windows 10 needs permission from MS to use it and what's the name for such a permission? Exactly, it's a license. So in order to use Windows 10 you definitely need a license, even if you upgraded from a predecessor like Windows 8.1. The only difference are the conditions that license comes with. Permission to use software (either protected or open source) = license.

    "There is no license key": Wrong again, there is definitely a license key for Windows 10, even if you upgraded from an older Windows version. That key is needed if you want to install Windows 10 again (so called clean install). It can be acquired using tools like License Crawler or ProduKey by Nirsoft (which belongs to MS I think). Take a look at the following print screen which shows my license key of Windows 10 after upgrading from 8.1 (obfuscated of course).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	License_Key_W_10_edited.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	35143

    Now back to the question of the op: I highly doubt it's possible to transfer the license of an upgraded Windows 10 to another machine. But I'd still try it. First make sure the hdds in the pc pc you want to sell are completely clean meaning Windows 10 is not installed anymore. Then I'd call MS and ask them to manually activate Windows 10 telling them something about a broken mainboard that had to be replaced. It might work but probably it wont. According to the EULA of Windows 10 upgrade it shouldn't but who knows
    That'd just make me feel bad, lying about a 'broken motherboard' is just the same as pirating it, so I'll skip.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    01 Sep 2015 #36

    altae said: View Post
    i'm somewhat surprised about the incorrect things that have been said in this thread.

    "there is no license": That's of course completely wrong. Microsoft is the holder of the intellectual property of windows 10. They are the only ones that are allowed to use windows 10. Everybody who want's to use windows 10 needs permission from ms to use it and what's the name for such a permission? Exactly, it's a license. So in order to use windows 10 you definitely need a license, even if you upgraded from a predecessor like windows 8.1. The only difference are the conditions that license comes with. Permission to use software (either protected or open source) = license.

    "there is no license key": Wrong again, there is definitely a license key for windows 10, even if you upgraded from an older windows version. That key is needed if you want to install windows 10 again (so called clean install). It can be acquired using tools like license crawler or produkey by nirsoft (which belongs to ms i think). Take a look at the following print screen which shows my license key of windows 10 after upgrading from 8.1 (obfuscated of course).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	License_Key_W_10_edited.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	35143

    now back to the question of the op: I highly doubt it's possible to transfer the license of an upgraded windows 10 to another machine. But i'd still try it. First make sure the hdds in the pc pc you want to sell are completely clean meaning windows 10 is not installed anymore. Then i'd call ms and ask them to manually activate windows 10 telling them something about a broken mainboard that had to be replaced. It might work but probably it wont. According to the eula of windows 10 upgrade it shouldn't but who knows
    vk7jg-nphtm-c97jm-9mpgt-3v66t
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Sep 2015 #37

    Returning to the original question:

    If your old Windows license (7 or 8) was retail, then you could use it again on a new homebuilt PC if:

    you removed the OS from the PC that you sold (or gave away)

    Installed the old OS on the new PC and upgraded that to Win 10.

    What happens after 29 July, 2016, when the free Win 10 upgrade offer expires, I don't know.

    Incidentally, no license key is retained on a PC that has the Win 10 upgrade. Once it is installed and activated, you can scrub the hard drive, eliminating all partitions, and clean install Win 10 on the machine and have it activate online. I believe that you could use a virgin hard drive and still activate it. The "same hardware" requirement isn't that strict.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    01 Sep 2015 #38

    Torquemada said: View Post
    vk7jg-nphtm-c97jm-9mpgt-3v66t
    It might be a generic key but of that I wasn't sure so I obfuscated it. Still there is a license key you need to clean install Windows 10 again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    01 Sep 2015 #39

    Marron said: View Post
    That'd just make me feel bad, lying about a 'broken motherboard' is just the same as pirating it, so I'll skip.
    That of course is your choice. I'd try it without feeling bad. MS also does not feel bad about spying on it's users or about advertising "free" upgrades to Windows 10 that actually transfer a very expensive retail version into a cheap, hardware bound upgrade version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    01 Sep 2015 #40

    altae said: View Post
    It might be a generic key but of that I wasn't sure so I obfuscated it. Still there is a license key you need to clean install Windows 10 again.
    It's well known you don't need a license key to clean install unless it's a retail version.

    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-get-win...vation-1514845
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Related Threads
A Few Parts in General Support
If anyone wants a unused CPU X4 860K, a couple of Vengeance 2GB DDR3 1600 ram sticks, a Fractal 400 watt PSU just PM me and they are yours. Free of course
parts of app window is offscreen in Software and Apps
Most of the times I start and app, a part of its window is offscreen, though it is maximized or fullscreen, here is an example: 15163 I hope you will understand what I am talking about by checking the right at the search box. This makes the Mail...
Solved Constant BSODS After getting new parts. in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
So here is my story. I had an old PC with a first Gen i5 and some other parts and-... Well long story short I replaced my mobo, Processor and video card. Didnt get bluescreens till I replaced the parts. I did memcheck and the mem comes up clear, I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44.
Find Us