Not a BSOD - Just Dead?


  1. Posts : 524
    win10
       #1

    Not a BSOD - Just Dead?


    My computer won't get past the first 'ASROCK' screen with the prompts for f11, f2, Del...

    and the thing is it doesn't respond to ANY of them.

    BUT it will respond to Ctrl Alt Del and reboot itself.

    Does this mean it is toast? The BIOS is screwed?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 402
    Windows 10 and Windows 11
       #2

    Do you hear any beeps when you start it? If so please describe whether they are long or short and how many beeps there are. Please also post the full specs of your PC, especially the full details of your motherboard.

    When did this start? What happened immediately prior to this problem?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4,791
    Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit 22H2
       #3

    Remove the HDD/SSD and restart press the Del key continuously to enter Setup (Bios). If that loads, then load Bios Defaults and replace the drive.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 524
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    ubuysa said:
    Do you hear any beeps when you start it? If so please describe whether they are long or short and how many beeps there are. Please also post the full specs of your PC, especially the full details of your motherboard.

    When did this start? What happened immediately prior to this problem?
    No beeps It is an asrock H110-M.
    Nothing special happened. I was using Tor is perhaps a tiny bit unusual.

    I have established that it is not the computer at fault. Because I went out and go a new hard drive and put Linux Mint on it and it all worked alright.

    So it is the drive somehow. But the drive is not completely dead for though Mint cannot see the directory structure or files, not as yet anyway, it lists the 'block' device as sdb. so it gets some kind of response from it.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4,791
    Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit 22H2
       #5

    If you can view the files, backup your personal User Files to an external drive.
    Then Diagnose the HDD/SSD addictivetips.com
    If the drive is healthy then you can proceed to fix the boot files in Windows using a Windows Installer and going to the Command Prompt.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,271
    Linux:Debian, Kali-Linux... 2xWin8.1,1x7Pro, Retro:1x2003server.1xXPpro, 1xW2k,1x98SE,1x95,1x3.11
       #6

    abrogard said:
    No beeps It is an asrock H110-M.
    Nothing special happened. I was using Tor is perhaps a tiny bit unusual.

    I have established that it is not the computer at fault. Because I went out and go a new hard drive and put Linux Mint on it and it all worked alright.

    So it is the drive somehow. But the drive is not completely dead for though Mint cannot see the directory structure or files, not as yet anyway, it lists the 'block' device as sdb. so it gets some kind of response from it.
    as i do not know your Linux knowledge i will try to keep in non-nerdy.
    If you open the linux partition program Gparted can you see any partitions on the windows drive?
    If you don't have Gparted installed on mint.. open Terminal and write: sudo apt install gparted if it is a live-usb and its asking for password, just hit enter. (it will not install anything on your harddrive if it is a live-usb it will only installs to virtual ram drive)

    Do you have bitlocker encryption on the whole disk or something like that?

    Edit2.. oh i forgot.. If you want to check SMART data on the disk.. Open the program Disks and under the hamburger icon you have SMART data and check SMART.

    Edit1.. it feels weird talking about linux on a windows forum.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 524
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    spunk said:
    If you can view the files, backup your personal User Files to an external drive.
    Then Diagnose the HDD/SSD addictivetips.com
    If the drive is healthy then you can proceed to fix the boot files in Windows using a Windows Installer and going to the Command Prompt.
    I ran the SMART tests and got results on all of four partitions I found listed: sdb1,b2,b3, b4.
    The test seems to report no errors.

    I haven't found yet how to read the disks if that can be done. I'll google some more.
      My Computer

  8.   My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums