Windows 10: win 10 corrupts win 7


  1. Posts : 8
    Windows7 home premium
       31 Aug 2015 #1

    win 10 corrupts win 7


    I installed win 10 tech preview on a new hard drive installed in a 2nd bay in my HP 7-1010 pc. The original drive has win 7 on it. My intention was to have win 10 on a separate drive so win 7 would not be affected at all should something go wrong. Twice now when I try to boot win 7 I get a notification that there are file discrepancies and check disk needs to run. In the middle of the check disk I get a BSOD and must restore win 7. Both times I got 7 back by restoring from a system image. I tried unchecking fast start in win 10 and this helped until the latest build of 10 was installed and unchecking fast start no longer helps. I have disconnected the new drive with win 10 on it for fear I will lose win 7 again and not be able to recover. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       31 Aug 2015 #2

    EDIT: What were the BSOD codes? Any idea?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 Aug 2015 #3

    I had the same issue with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 dual boot. I unplugged my 8.1 drive while doing a clean install of 10 to another drive. After plugging the Windows 8.1 drive in and booting to it via BIOS option, I got the file discrepancies and check disk needs to run message. It ran OK and Windows 8.1 was usable after that but I still didn't like the idea that 10 did something to that drive. Fast Startup was disabled on both OS, one of the first things I do is turn that off. No BSOD for me. Wish I could be more help but at least you know your not alone. My dual boot setup is long gone now and I'm in no hurry to ever try it again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,964
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       31 Aug 2015 #4

    Had the same problem with W8.1 and W10 preview with each installed on two separate SSD,s, but both connected to motherboard.
    The problem is it messes up the master boot record, which can be retrieved but is a bloody nuisance.
    Have solved the problem by purchasing a NexStar SE dual 2.5" SATA front loading Hard drive rack ie- one in one out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 Aug 2015 #5

    Come to think of it, I think it was the Preview that caused the issue for me too. I'm pretty sure I only had it on that one boot up. After that everything worked fine. It was a while ago that it happened to me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 26
    Windows 7 and Windows 10
       31 Aug 2015 #6

    everettg said: View Post
    I installed win 10 tech preview on a new hard drive installed in a 2nd bay in my HP 7-1010 pc. The original drive has win 7 on it. My intention was to have win 10 on a separate drive so win 7 would not be affected at all should something go wrong. Twice now when I try to boot win 7 I get a notification that there are file discrepancies and check disk needs to run. In the middle of the check disk I get a BSOD and must restore win 7. Both times I got 7 back by restoring from a system image. I tried unchecking fast start in win 10 and this helped until the latest build of 10 was installed and unchecking fast start no longer helps. I have disconnected the new drive with win 10 on it for fear I will lose win 7 again and not be able to recover. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution?
    I have been using W10 and W7 together but using the same hdd and different partitions. With no real issues except the black screen one that hasn't happened for a while.

    Have you tried the Win7 rescue disk? I have found that this disk always recovers Win7 after dual-boot disasters. As to check-disk... really, I wouldn't allow that to happen at boot time. If a drive needs checking for fat errors then I prefer to do this within windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Aug 2015 #7

    Try this to check boot manager. Looks like the free EasyBCD would be the easiest.

    Dual Boot - Change OS Name in Windows Boot Manager - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    31 Aug 2015 #8

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I had the same issue with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 dual boot. I unplugged my 8.1 drive while doing a clean install of 10 to another drive. After plugging the Windows 8.1 drive in and booting to it via BIOS option, I got the file discrepancies and check disk needs to run message. It ran OK and Windows 8.1 was usable after that but I still didn't like the idea that 10 did something to that drive. Fast Startup was disabled on both OS, one of the first things I do is turn that off. No BSOD for me. Wish I could be more help but at least you know your not alone. My dual boot setup is long gone now and I'm in no hurry to ever try it again.
    Same thing happened to me (old HDD running Vista). Strangely I then tried to clean install Win10 with both drives plugged in. No more BSOD (although this time it activated the boot manager and I had to do quite a bit of research to move the boot manager to the new SSD where Win10 resides), and when I unplugged the old HDD afterwards, Win10 can boot up with no problem. But I can no longer unplug the Win10 drive and have Vista running as a stand alone OS (a bit of research however shows it would be an easy task of re-creating the boot manager on the old HDD if I need Vista to be independently running).

    So now I have two OS'es running on separate hard disks. No conflict. Seems you need to have both the old and new drives plugged in when doing the installation and the boot manager will take care of the rest.

    Take away: the entire system can only have ONE single boot manager.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,023
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       31 Aug 2015 #9

    If someone could confirm that Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 10 RTM can dual boot and play nice together without a file check on all my storage drives every time I boot into one OS or the other, please shed some light. My 2 installs are on seperate ssd`s done separately while each drive was unplugged, I`d love to be able to start using the boot key to boot into either or without unhooking, Thanks for any input.

    Brian
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       31 Aug 2015 #10

    AddRAM said: View Post
    If someone could confirm that Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 10 RTM can dual boot and play nice together without a file check on all my storage drives every time I boot into one OS or the other, please shed some light. My 2 installs are on seperate ssd`s done separately while each drive was unplugged, I`d love to be able to start using the boot key to boot into either or without unhooking, Thanks for any input.

    Brian
    Here's how I did it - no chkdsks
    Increase System Reserve to 450 MB
    Use PW to shrink C: by 350 MB
    Use PW to slide C to the right
    Use PW to grow System Reserve by 350 MB
    total System Reserve - 100 MB orginal allocation + 350 MB stolen from C: = 450 MB

    I've read that a clean install (BIOS/MBR) creates a 500 MB system reserve and I've seen Disk Managment screen shots that show a 450 MB Recovery part (+ 100 MB SysReserve). That's the key .. MS docs go over the disk schema, but not in great detail for BIOS/MBR. They only say that 300 MB is recommeneded for a COMBINED SysReserve / Recovery part (note that this info is not updated yet for Win10).

    Anyway, 450 MB has worked well for me over hte past 5 or 6 months, but you might want to go a little higher, since that's what Windows aparrently creates. It's a pain to create the recovery part, so just grow the SysReserve.

    Create a System image of Win7
    Upgrade Win7 to Win10
    Restore Win7 system image

    You should have two parts (SysReserve & C: Windows)

    Shrink C: to about 100 GB (mine is only 40 GB, but all my data is elesewhere; accessed thruogh Librbaires). If the part is too small (< 50 GB ??), System Protection is not turned on by default.

    Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    Run Diskpart

    lis vol

    *** select the disk you wanto use

    sel dis #

    *** I'm on Linux right now, check the sysntax of the commands, I think I got them right
    DiskPart Command-Line Options

    *** Create an Extended partion using all of the space created from the shrink

    ??? cre par extended

    *** Create a Win10 placeholder part, and then a filler part

    ??? cre par logical size=102402
    ??? cre par logical

    *** with both placeholder and filler parts created, delete only the placeholder part,
    *** leaving unallocated space and the filler part

    lis par

    *** select the 100 GB placeholder part
    sel par #

    ??? del par

    lis dis
    lis par
    lis vol

    exit


    Clean install Win10 to the unallocated space (where placeholder was).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Upgraded to 10 on 30th July. Since then after about an hour the start menu words and icons become corrupted and unreadable. Only in the start menu, the Cortana box and the metro style tiles. Nowhere else is affected neither apps nor internet pages...
Due to Nitro Reader problem reported in another thread, I rolled back to Win 7. I found none of the scheduled tasks I had created worked. Opening Task Scheduler presented me with 62 error messages indicating my tasks, and many others created by...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09.
Find Us