Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it


  1. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 LTSC 2021
       #1

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it


    During SSD cloning I accidentally deleted the recovery partition. I followed some posts on how to restore it, but can't get it to work. It always ends up using the main C drive instead of the recovery partition.

    What I did:
    - Copied the original Winre.wim and ReAgent.xml from the installation file to System32/Recovery
    - Created a 450 MB primary NTFS formatted partition with diskpart where the old one was and set type ID to de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac

    Now when I run reagentc /enable, it works, but it uses the C:/Recovery folder instead of the recovery partition, which remains empty.

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-bcd1.png

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-bcd2.png

    How do I make it use the recovery partition and not C:/Recovery ?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 4,446
    several
       #2

    try this:

    reagentc /disable

    then copy winre.wim to the recovery partition

    then use /setreimage /path <dir_name> to point at it

    then reagentc /enable

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    example:

    reagentc /disable

    in this example winre.wim was then copied to partition\recovery\winre\winre.wim

    point /setreimage to the directory containing winre.wim

    reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume4\recovery\winre

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-reagentc-setreimage.jpg

    now you have set the path, enable it

    reagentc /enable

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if you are not sure of the device path ( the bit in red above ), you find it easily with diskgenius

    click on a volume then rt click and copy its device path

    ( /setreimage can also work with a drive letter or volume guid )

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-dg-device-path.jpg
    Last edited by SIW2; 21 Feb 2023 at 13:13.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 31,221
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    Kidades said:
    During SSD cloning I accidentally deleted the recovery partition. I followed some posts on how to restore it, but can't get it to work. It always ends up using the main C drive instead of the recovery partition.....

    ....How do I make it use the recovery partition and not C:/Recovery ?
    It's actually not necessary to do anything. The C: drive is a valid location, Windows' alternate choice when it can't make room for a recovery partition. One of my machines is set up the same way. I'd leave it as it is, make life a lot simpler not having another partition to worry about when cloning a drive, backing up, etc..
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 18,407
    Windows 11 Pro
       #4

    Bree said:
    It's actually not necessary to do anything. The C: drive is a valid location, Windows' alternate choice when it can't make room for a recovery partition. One of my machines is set up the same way. I'd leave it as it is, make life a lot simpler not having another partition to worry about when cloning a drive, backing up, etc..
    Agreed! I'm not seeing a problem that need correcting
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 LTSC 2021
    Thread Starter
       #5

    SIW2 said:
    try this:

    reagentc /disable

    then copy winre.wim to the recovery partition

    then use /setreimage /path <dir_name> to point at it

    then reagentc /enable

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    example:

    reagentc /disable

    in this example winre.wim was then copied to partition\recovery\winre\winre.wim

    point /setreimage to the directory containing winre.wim

    reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume4\recovery\winre

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-reagentc-setreimage.jpg

    now you have set the path, enable it

    reagentc /enable

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if you are not sure of the device path ( the bit in red above ), you find it easily with diskgenius

    click on a volume then rt click and copy its device path

    ( /setreimage can also work with a drive letter or volume guid )

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-dg-device-path.jpg
    I tried that but it didn't work. It simply copied the winre image back from the recovery partition to C:/recovery

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-567.png

    That command seems to change the source directory for the image file. What I need is to change the destination where it gets copied upon using /enable.

    If it can't be fixed, I'll just get rid of the recovery partition and let it use C as other posters mentioned.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4,446
    several
       #6

    I havent got win10 ltsc, however I just tested again on win7 and win11.

    Works as expected.

    reagentc /info
    winre location shows partition5\recovery\windowsre folder

    reagentc /disable

    then copy winre.wim to partition4\recovery\windowsre folder

    reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume4\recovery\windowsre


    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-setreimage2a.jpg


    reagentc /enable

    reagentc /info

    shows winre location is now set to partition4\recovery\windowsre folder

    Deleted Windows 10 recovery partition and can't restore it-setreimage3a.jpg
    Last edited by SIW2; 24 Feb 2023 at 01:40.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums