New entry in "NEW" context menu called kernel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 472
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1

    New entry in "NEW" context menu called kernel


    Hi. I want to know why this has been added, and how? Or most importantly, is it safe to have that in context menu with regard to security? I mean, I have not added that.

    New entry in "NEW" context menu called kernel-skaermbild-2023-02-04-024341.png
      My Computer


  2. NTN
    Posts : 969
    W10 19045.2546
       #2

    Think this is default in Windows...unless we were infected by the same virus.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 472
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    NTN said:
    Think this is default in Windows...unless we were infected by the same virus.
    Oh you have it there also! Good to know. Then it must be from a windows update? Because I have never seen it before in that context menu.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 67
    Win10 Home 64-bit, MX-Linux
       #4

    NTN said:
    Think this is default in Windows...unless we were infected by the same virus.
    Not in MY Windows. Never seen such a thing. Have no idea what a "kernel document" might be.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 472
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    kreemoweet said:
    Not in MY Windows. Never seen such a thing. Have no idea what a "kernel document" might be.
    Damn.... Hmm.. Hope someone else can join this and tell me more.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,903
    Windows 10 Pro (+ Windows 10 Home VMs for testing)
       #6

    I've just made sure my device is up-to-date and 'Kernel Document' is not a right-click 'New' context menu option on my latest Win 10 Pro 22H2 install either.

    Perhaps try Nir Sofer's small, free, portable RegScanner to search for 'Kernel Document' to see what 'New Menu Handler' event it's related to?

    Hope this helps...
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 9,792
    Mac OS Catalina
       #7

    Why not just go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers" and see where that item is pointing.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 43,393
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #8

    Get this free tool:
    New entry in "NEW" context menu called kernel-1.jpg

    - you do seem to have an increasing number of problems with your O/S...
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 3,013
    Windows 10 Pro for the Bro
       #9

    Make a new Kernel Document on your Desktop real quick. Can you tell me what the file extention is?
    (Example, if you make a new Text Document, it would be: New Text Document.txt )

    What's the kernel's .extension?

    If you don't see the extension name, right click the file -> Properties

    New entry in "NEW" context menu called kernel-image.png

    You can delete the file afterwards.
    (unless if in the Properties window, it shows that it's bigger than 0 bytes, can you open it in Notepad and copy/paste what it says there to here?)
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 472
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #10

    RickC said:
    I've just made sure my device is up-to-date and 'Kernel Document' is not a right-click 'New' context menu option on my latest Win 10 Pro 22H2 install either.

    Perhaps try Nir Sofer's small, free, portable RegScanner to search for 'Kernel Document' to see what 'New Menu Handler' event it's related to?

    Hope this helps...
    Thanks! This is what it found. And it's kinda recent also!

    New entry in "NEW" context menu called kernel-kernel-docu.png

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    Get this free tool:
    New entry in "NEW" context menu called kernel-1.jpg

    - you do seem to have an increasing number of problems with your O/S...
    Yeah, stuff gets added and changes to security like stuff i changed in secpol gets reverted. And then i had Winboot.bat a hidden file in my H: drive. No scans finds anything. This might be something that is hidden from scanners, or someone working hidden and doing these things. Because there is no explanation to these things. A error in windows will not add winstart.bat and also it will not add kernel document, that is if it's of concern to have kernel available, like if they use it for some purpose.

    - - - Updated - - -

    pepanee said:
    Make a new Kernel Document on your Desktop real quick. Can you tell me what the file extention is?
    (Example, if you make a new Text Document, it would be: New Text Document.txt )

    What's the kernel's .extension?

    If you don't see the extension name, right click the file -> Properties

    New entry in "NEW" context menu called kernel-image.png

    You can delete the file afterwards.
    (unless if in the Properties window, it shows that it's bigger than 0 bytes, can you open it in Notepad and copy/paste what it says there to here?)
    it gives me this .nkfn
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums