1.    25 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10

    Windows 10 update crashed OS


    Hi. I am having a question and I hope I could get some help here. The issue is that I have installed windows 10 (just as anyone else) on 29th July and it worked smoothly, fast and robustly. Really, no abjection whatsoever. Then, yesterday, I had an update. I had noticed some kind of buffer-overflow so I checked in task manager, but there was nothing. I checked system update, and voila. I restarted the pc, but... the update was weird. It got 100% (have no idea how) and began reinstallation, again and again. Then it halted and when rebooted it showed "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error, rebooted and started Automatic repair, but everything I get is a blink and a black screen. So, I am wondering and asking you could I get windows 10 ISO and start clean installation of OS and use my windows 7 Home Premium key for activation (MS claims that I could, but there is just so many issues regarded to this topic). I read that there are possible motherboard and hdd corrupt issues, and more, so... I am a bit worried.
    P.S. Warranty or guaranty has expired during this year.
    P.P.S Ubuntu works just fine and sees all files, otherwise I could not do anything

    Any help is highly appreciated... Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    25 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 3,553
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64

    my suggestion would be to reinstall win7 ,and make sure you get all the latest updated device drivers from the makers websites installed for win7 devices , then you could download win10 from the link and try the update again .
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    25 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Hasselt, Belgium
    Posts : 171
    Windows 10 Pro

    If your Windows 10 Home was already activated. Just do a clean install on your system with Windows 10 and don't enter any product keys. After Windows 10 is installed, the Microsoft server should recognize your Hardware ID and activate Windows 10 again.

    I did this on two of my systems, and it worked without any problems. For my most recent system, I went to the manufactures website to make sure I had all the latest drivers installed. For the other one, there are no Windows 10 drivers from the manufacturer, but it's still running nicely with some drivers that worked with Windows 8.1.

    You surely don't need to install Windows 7 first to get Windows 10 back on your system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    25 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I tried that also, but my Windows 7 ISO is stuck at "Setup is loading..." for more than 15 min, after which I shut it down. Is it possible that is a USB issue? I have downloaded Windows 10 ISO, but... I am worried that I will use a DVD for no reason if it does not work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Mas View Post
    If your Windows 10 Home was already activated. Just do a clean install on your system with Windows 10 and don't enter any product keys. After Windows 10 is installed, the Microsoft server should recognize your Hardware ID and activate Windows 10 again.

    I did this on two of my systems, and it worked without any problems. For my most recent system, I went to the manufactures website to make sure I had all the latest drivers installed. For the other one, there are no Windows 10 drivers from the manufacturer, but it's still running nicely with some drivers that worked with Windows 8.1.

    You surely don't need to install Windows 7 first to get Windows 10 back on your system.
    Thank you for reply. I will try it right now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 3,553
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64

    Quote Originally Posted by infitiatio View Post
    I tried that also, but my Windows 7 ISO is stuck at "Setup is loading..." for more than 15 min, after which I shut it down. Is it possible that is a USB issue? I have downloaded Windows 10 ISO, but... I am worried that I will use a DVD for no reason if it does not work.
    use a thumbdrive then ,not sure about prices where you live but dvd's are about 50 cents here so I don't see an issue with wasting one ,and it wouldn't be a waste anyway ,you would likely need it again someday .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    25 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I am done. I did a clean install (partition was locked, so I could not repair) and everything works well. OS is activated, just as you have told me. Thank you very much for your support and advises.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Hasselt, Belgium
    Posts : 171
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by infitiatio View Post
    I am done. I did a clean install (partition was locked, so I could not repair) and everything works well. OS is activated, just as you have told me. Thank you very much for your support and advises.
    You're welcome. Nice to know your system is up and running again!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 10 crashed and now stuck in restart loop with a blue screen
Hey guys, I am hoping you can help me. Last night I was watching a dvd on my desktop when all of a sudden a blue screen came up with a frowning face and said that "Your computer ran into a problem and needs to restart, its collecting info and will...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Windows 10 crashed my laptop - I think
Hi, I started the download, it shut down, rebooted a couple of times and on the latest reboot all I've got is the 4 blue squares whirring around, the counter "dots" turning, then black screen, a big square white flash then blackness and then back to...
General Support
I lost so much time today (Windows 10 crashed during installation)
I spent a lot of time trying to install Windows 10 on an Asus netbook. It got very deep in the installation and then it crashed, my computer reverted back to a previous version of Windows 10, meaning I wasted a lot of time for nothing.
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 crashed during Upgrade. Unable to detect operating system.
I'm new here so pardon if there is any mistakes. Anyhow I am currently using windows 7 (not a fan of windows 8). Since windows 10 is released I wanted to install and try it. Initially I installed windows 8.1 in my D:\ drive (works normally as...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 Crashed
I had Tech Preview build 9926 installed on a SSD which was extra so I can pop it in to use preview or pop Windows 7 SSD in. Well Sunday I was working and it locked up and when I restarted up it was like it couldn't find the OS. I did a repair...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums