How to set default folder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1110
       #1

    How to set default folder


    every once in a while I click on a profile icon to change the image and the folder that comes up is not the one I want. Can I set a default folder that comes up when I click on a image to change my current image on a website profile?
      My Computer

  2. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 16,061
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1469 (x64) [21H2]
       #2

    Eaglepi said:
    every once in a while I click on a profile icon to change the image and the folder that comes up is not the one I want. Can I set a default folder that comes up when I click on a image to change my current image on a website profile?


    I "created" a folder on my computer called: Ava and Sig pics, where I save all my various forum avatars and signatures.
    Then, when I want to change one, I just "browse" to that folder.
    You could even create sub-folders for each forum or website.
      My Computer

  3. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1110
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Ghot said:
    I "created" a folder on my computer called: Ava and Sig pics, where I save all my various forum avatars and signatures.
    Then, when I want to change one, I just "browse" to that folder.
    Thanks for your reply, I know how to browse to the folder I want, my question is a default folder comes up and I want to be able to set that default folder so I don't have to browse.
      My Computer

  4. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 16,061
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1469 (x64) [21H2]
       #4

    Eaglepi said:
    Thanks for your reply, I know how to browse to the folder I want, my question is a default folder comes up and I want to be able to set that default folder so I don't have to browse.



    I assumed you did know how to browse.
    I don't know of any way on any website/forum, to set a default folder for this.

    So I just made my own...

    How to set default folder-image1.png
      My Computer

  5. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1110
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ghot said:
    I assumed you did know how to browse.
    I don't know of any way on any website/forum, to set a default folder for this.

    So I just made my own...

    How to set default folder-image1.png
    I don't think it is any website that dictates which folder opens when a request on a website is made to change a profile image. It is Windows that opens the folder not the website so there has to be a setting that when a website calls for a folder to be opened that has images it can be set in windows??
      My Computer

  6. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 16,061
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1469 (x64) [21H2]
       #6

    Eaglepi said:
    I don't think it is any website that dictates which folder opens when a request on a website is made to change a profile image. It is Windows that opens the folder not the website so there has to be a setting that when a website calls for a folder to be opened that has images it can be set in windows??


    It's probably more likely to be a "recent files" setting. But that only works when it happens to BE a recent file.
      My Computer

  7. CMArbres's Avatar
    Posts : 139
    Windows 10 Home Version: 21H1 (OS Build 19043,1387)
       #7

    Eaglepi said:
    every once in a while I click on a profile icon to change the image and the folder that comes up is not the one I want. Can I set a default folder that comes up when I click on a image to change my current image on a website profile?
    I am not sure if that is possible. But a quick and dirty workaround is to right click the folder you want to use and select Pin to Quick Access. File Explorer will (should) automatically default to displaying the folders of Quick Access when you open it. But this will not be the default when you attempt to browse from a change avatar Browse button. Instead, it defaults to the last folder used, whatever that happens to be. You will need to use the scroll bar of the left navigation pane to scroll up to Quick Access if using a small screen (laptop or not maximised window), but it is still faster.

    Christophe.
      My Computers

  8. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1110
    Thread Starter
       #8

    CMArbres said:
    I am not sure if that is possible. But a quick and dirty workaround is to right click the folder you want to use and select Pin to Quick Access. File Explorer will (should) automatically default to displaying the folders of Quick Access when you open it. But this will not be the default when you attempt to browse from a change avatar Browse button. Instead, it defaults to the last folder used, whatever that happens to be. You will need to use the scroll bar of the left navigation pane to scroll up to Quick Access if using a small screen (laptop or not maximised window), but it is still faster.

    Christophe.
    Thanks for your reply but there has to be something in windows that is set for when a website calls for a folder to open. just hope I find the answer. Oh yeah one important thing I left out of my OP like a fool is the folder that opens whenever a website calls for a folder for a image is a thumb drive I have in a USB slot. you'd think it would call from my computer drives which I have 4 before the USB drive and I know if I pull it out another folder will open in that situation but I dont want to have to pull the USB drive pout every time this happens
      My Computer

  9. CMArbres's Avatar
    Posts : 139
    Windows 10 Home Version: 21H1 (OS Build 19043,1387)
       #9

    Eaglepi said:
    Thanks for your reply but there has to be something in windows that is set for when a website calls for a folder to open. just hope I find the answer.
    There is for Downloads in Chrome Settings>>Downloads. But I am pretty certain Windows does not offer a default for any Browse button becasue they appear in so many different circumstances. All kinds of different software and all kinds of web-based scenarios.

    Whereas maybe a web developer could hard-code the default folder for their Browse button, they rarely, if ever, do, alas. I've certainly never come across it. I really don't think there is a solution for this issue built into Windows. The reason for my thinking is that many people will want to save some images in a \Documents folder (for example), or any other path. I often save images in the relevant document folder to keep everything together in one place. And I do this for many different folders.

    I don't think there's any easy solution for this, if it's even possible. I guess you could write a script?

    Christophe
      My Computers

  10. Eaglepi's Avatar
    Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1110
    Thread Starter
       #10

    CMArbres said:
    There is for Downloads in Chrome Settings>>Downloads. But I am pretty certain Windows does not offer a default for any Browse button becasue they appear in so many different circumstances. All kinds of differnt software and all kinds of web-based scenarios.

    For that reason, only the web developer can set the default, but they rarely, if ever, do, alas. I really don't think there is a solution for this issue built into Windows.

    Christophe
    I agree but several websites have called for an image and the same folder opens so it doesn't seem to be the websites, they must have in the coding a default windows folder to call to open?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums