Clicking a folder in explorer opens another window and another window

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 18
    Windows 10 Home 10.0.19042
       #1

    Clicking a folder in explorer opens another window and another window


    HEEEEELP! I am going insane! I want every folder in explorer to open in the same window but it won't do it. I think I actually hear it laughing. Does anyone have the secret? Respectfully don't start at "open explorer, select view, then options..." I don't want that stuff. It's like Google Maps...Hey Google , start with #3, I think I know how to get out of my own neighborhood@! I need real help. I've tried command line stuff, registry stuff but nada. - Stay safe people.
      My Computer

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 22,007
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #2

    izzyforeal said:
    HEEEEELP! I am going insane! I want every folder in explorer to open in the same window but it won't do it...

    Respectfully don't start at "open explorer, select view, then options..."

    Why on earth not? It's the only way I know of to do it. The option 'Open each folder in the same window' is there for a reason.

    Clicking a folder in explorer opens another window and another window-image.png
      My Computers

  3. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,989
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #3

    All of mine are on the default of opening in the same window so if I want to open a second at the same time I right-click the File Explorer icon on the Taskbar then click File Explorer then navigate to the folder needed.
    Clicking a folder in explorer opens another window and another window-image.png
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 18
    Windows 10 Home 10.0.19042
    Thread Starter
       #4

    No I'm sorry Bree, there are many many ways. This is way #1 but unfortunately it does not work.
      My Computer

  5. MaloK's Avatar
    Posts : 1,031
    Windows 7
       #5

    You can try to run sfc /scannow

    Also this fix exist, run the following cmd as administrator

    Code:
    @echo off
    :: 32 bit and 64 bit
    IF EXIST "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll"
    IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
    :: 64 bit only (32bit on 64 bit)
    IF EXIST "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\actxprxy.dll" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\actxprxy.dll"
    IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
      My Computer

  6. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,740
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1348
       #6

    izzyforeal said:
    This is way #1 but unfortunately it does not work.
    You should have said that in your OP.

    If SFC does not fix things then see if it happens in Safe mode.
    Boot into Safe Mode - TenForumsTutorials
    - If it does then run a Repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - TenForumsTutorials
    - If it does not then the problem is caused by an installed application.


    Denis
      My Computer


  7. pepanee's Avatar
    Posts : 1,517
    Windows 10 Professional
       #7

    1) Go to Folder Options, select the other option: Open each folder in its own window
    2) Press Apply, then press OK
    3) Go back to Folder Options, select: Open each folder in the same window
    4) Press Apply, then press OK
    5) See if that fixed the problem

    Sometimes doing something like this could reset the inconsistency in certain settings.
      My Computer

  8. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 33,795
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #8

    opens another window and another window
    - this sounds like rapid opening of multiple occurrences of file explorer windows- not just a second - is that correct?

    This may help:
    Windows Explorer sometimes opens multiple windows when navigating to a folder - Super User

    Otherwise:

    History please: (almost never provided by posters)
    - when did this start?
    - what happened before this started?
    - do you have an appropriate System Restore point or disk image you can use to restore to a point before this started?
    - what happened/what did you do around the time this started?

    Thank you.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 18
    Windows 10 Home 10.0.19042
    Thread Starter
       #9

    MaloK said:
    You can try to run sfc /scannow

    Also this fix exist, run the following cmd as administrator

    Code:
    @echo off
    :: 32 bit and 64 bit
    IF EXIST "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%SystemRoot%\System32\actxprxy.dll"
    IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" "%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe" "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
    :: 64 bit only (32bit on 64 bit)
    IF EXIST "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\actxprxy.dll" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\actxprxy.dll"
    IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll" "%WinDir%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe" "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"
    Hello MaloK,
    I have already tried this with no success. But thank you very much, I appreciate the response.

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    - this sounds like rapid opening of multiple occurrences of file explorer windows- not just a second - is that correct?

    This may help:
    Windows Explorer sometimes opens multiple windows when navigating to a folder - Super User

    Otherwise:

    History please: (almost never provided by posters)
    - when did this start?
    - what happened before this started?
    - do you have an appropriate System Restore point or disk image you can use to restore to a point before this started?
    - what happened/what did you do around the time this started?

    Thank you.
    Hello dalchina,
    You are correct, I should have provided those details and will make sure I do going forward. Now, onto the specific questions you asked:
    When did this start? Approximately 3 weeks ago
    What happened before it started? If I remember correctly, I changed the default in the Explorer options to DOWNLOADS rather than QUICK ACCESS or THISPC
    Restore point? The restore points I have only go back to the 12th, which I could try but my issue was prior to that.
    What did I do? Answered above.

    Also, to your point about rapidly opening windows, that's not the issue. Windows do not open on their own but every time a folder is selected a new explorer window open, etc, etc, etc.

    I have even done the bleeping.com aio system repair with no success. I suppose I could reinstall Windows on top of itself but I vaguely remember doing that as well. I apologize but I have a poor memory.
      My Computer

  10. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 33,795
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #10

    Also, to your point about rapidly opening windows, that's not the issue. Windows do not open on their own but every time a folder is selected a new explorer window open, etc, etc, etc.
    Thanks for the clarification.

    a. Which option do you have here?
    Clicking a folder in explorer opens another window and another window-1.jpg

    The second one would produce what you describe.
    @Bree covered this in post #2.

    Could you post a screenshot of what you see there?

    b. If you have the first option checked, then please create a new user for test purposes. Log in as that user.
    Do you then see the same problem?

    If not, that would help to explain why the in-place upgrade repair install you think you may have done and other such general windows repairs have not helped.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums