Windows 10 - Program Manager preventing shutdown. Solutions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 39
    Windows 7/8.1/10
       #1

    Windows 10 - Program Manager preventing shutdown. Solutions?


    This recently started happening.

    I have let this issue go on for a few months now and System Restore is not a viable option.

    Additionally, coming from Windows 7 to 10 (different PC) there is this window that always appears on the Task View to the right with the small Task View image (pic attached below). I don't know if that's related or not. But it's annoying and more often than not, if I manually close that blank window I don't (usually) get the Program Manager error, but it's not a constant.

    As such, what are the fixes that are non-invasive such as going into the Group Police Editor and finding out which apps might be impacting shutdowns?

    Windows 10 - Program Manager preventing shutdown. Solutions?-f21f2089-a9b2-45bc-a421-b5816f329485-.png
      My Computers

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 32,676
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H1)
       #2

    Hi, there are many threads around including some on tenforums with no definitive resolution to the 'Program Manager' problem. There are workarounds, like forced shutdowns...

    The general conclusion seems to be this is related to a 3rd party program.

    If so, you can try a process of elimination- disable all 3rd party startups (Clean boot + Autoruns - free from MS)- and try to identify possible cause by elimination.

    Some threads mention certain Logitech software.
    ----------------------

    To identify the process related to obscure windows on your PC, try e.g.
    WinSpy - Catch22
    or similar.
      My Computers

  3. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,213
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1237
       #3

    Sammy,

    Program manager

    Is anything running called Program manager or similar in
    Task manager, Processes tab
    or the response to this command in a Cmd / PS window
    Code:
    TaskList
    You might find it more convenient to search a text file so you could use something like this with a path of your own instead of my example path
    Code:
    TaskList >D:\Desktop\TaskListResults.txt


    Is there any further info in the message you see when it prevents shutdown? Such as an icon? Perhaps you could post a photo of it.

    The mystery little box

    To find out more about this, use the above steps then close the mystery box then repeat the steps then compare the results.
    In addition, check Task manager, Startup tab for anything with that default icon [probably just called Program]. Right click on any column name then select Command line to be able to see what was running it [it would probably be a relic of an uninstalled application].


    Denis
      My Computer

  4. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 32,676
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H1)
       #4

    'Program Manager' here isn't a real program, rather some sort of legacy message triggered by something else. There are many reports of this historically, and some threads (unsolved) on tenforums.
      My Computers

  5. wiganken's Avatar
    Posts : 497
    Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
       #5

    Is it me or are the OP's first two sentences contradictory?

    "This recently started happening" and "I have let this issue go on for a few months now".

    If it is "just recently" then the OP might try to remember if they installed something that might have caused it. Of course I would not expect anyone to remember what they did "a few months ago now".
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 39
    Windows 7/8.1/10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Try3 said:
    Sammy,

    Program manager

    Is anything running called Program manager or similar in
    Task manager, Processes tab
    or the response to this command in a Cmd / PS window
    Code:
    TaskList
    You might find it more convenient to search a text file so you could use something like this with a path of your own instead of my example path
    Code:
    TaskList >D:\Desktop\TaskListResults.txt

    Is there any further info in the message you see when it prevents shutdown? Such as an icon? Perhaps you could post a photo of it.
    Unfortunately not. The shutdown message appears really quickly and then W10 closes it. I did a search for TaskListResults.txt and I wasn't able to find it.

    Do you have any comments about the taskview I posted earlier? Where it's just an empty screen with the task window (I came from Windows 7) so Windows 10 has some nuances I'm not familiar with 👇 Windows 10 - Program Manager preventing shutdown. Solutions?-blank-screenshot-2021-07-26-134040.png

    dalchina said:
    'Program Manager' here isn't a real program, rather some sort of legacy message triggered by something else. There are many reports of this historically, and some threads (unsolved) on tenforums.
    Now that makes 100% sense. I installed an old Logitech gaming mouse and I came across some comments in forums about it causing this very issue. I since uninstalled the mouse and stopped using and used Revo Uninstaller including CCleaner to remove it completely. I manually scanned the registry and I even ran SFC but the issue remains, but it's intermittent, about 8x out of 10x it works. When I use Process Hacker to Log Off and then Shut down normally through Windows I don't get the message and brief pause.

    Maybe I should wait until a full release of W10 and then reinstall the factory image that came with my laptop and then upgrade instead of wasting my time and troubleshooting.
    wiganken said:
    Is it me or are the OP's first two sentences contradictory?
    "This recently started happening" and "I have let this issue go on for a few months now".

    If it is "just recently" then the OP might try to remember if they installed something that might have caused it. Of course I would not expect anyone to remember what they did "a few months ago now".

    Thank you for sharing your insightful and helpful comment.
      My Computers


  7. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,600
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #7

    Just a fun comment, Program Manager was the main page seen when starting Windows 3.xx or earlier or Windows for Workgroups, all pre-Windows 95. File Manager was the grandpappy of Windows Explorer and later File Explorer.
      My Computers

  8. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,213
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1237
       #8

    Sammy888 said:
    The shutdown message appears really quickly and then W10 closes it. …
    … Do you have any comments about the taskview I posted earlier? ...
    You could try videoing it then just getting a still image out of the video. But I just wondered if there was extra information in the dialog such as an icon.
    I have no opinion about your diagram other than the steps I suggested for investigating it. I suppose I could guess right now that it will turn out to be an application that is not currently installed [so, if it's not malware, it's something that has been uninstalled].


    Sammy888 said:
    I did a search for TaskListResults.txt and I wasn't able to find it.
    I meant, run that command because it creates TaskListResults.txt so that you can search in a text file instead of having to search around in a Cmd/PS window.


    Sammy888 said:
    Maybe I should wait until a full release of W10 and then reinstall the factory image that came with my laptop and then upgrade instead of wasting my time and troubleshooting.
    You can clean install Windows 10 without reverting to your old OS first.
    Check in Settings, updates, Activation that you are activated with a digital licence. You will be, I'm sure.
    That means that your activation is saved on MS servers & your Windows 10 will automatically reactivate if you reinstall it. It just gets done when you unext go online withoutu any action being required on your part.
    Clean Install - TenForumsTutorials



    Denis
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 39
    Windows 7/8.1/10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Try3 said:
    You can clean install Windows 10 without reverting to your old OS first.
    Check in Settings, updates, Activation that you are activated with a digital licence. You will be, I'm sure.
    That means that your activation is saved on MS servers & your Windows 10 will automatically reactivate if you reinstall it. It just gets done when you unext go online withoutu any action being required on your part.
    Clean Install - TenForumsTutorials
    Oddly enough, after making my post above, I restarted my laptop because it became unresponsive. Windows wouldn't boot at all, I had to do a system refresh/reinstall of Windows 10 but keeping my apps et al. Unfortunately, the Program issue remained.

    I said screw it. I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro full from factory image which wiped everything on C drive. There were no issues with the installation. I expected it to revert to Windows 10 Home but it didn't. Moments ago, the Program Manager error returned when I went to shut down.

    The only apps I have installed are the following: Office 2019, Foxit Phantom Business PDF, Chrome, Firefox, CCleaner, Klite codecs (Windows Media Player Classic), Revo Uninstaller, and Internet Download Manager (IDM). I never had this Program Manager issue on a Windows 7 system with the same apps I am currently using. So it's clearly a Windows 10 issue.

    There is a thread I also replied to where some users experienced the same problem as me. Hopefully this problem will be remedied by Windows 11 or maybe it's a Lenovo, NVIDIA problem.
      My Computers

  10. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 32,676
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H1)
       #10

    No response I can see to my post #2. Despite that I note:

    I reinstalled Windows 10 Pro full from factory image
    Why didn't you do a true clean install? (Tutorial available).

    And verify it's NOT a windows problem by then convincing yourself it doesn't happen- as it doesn't to pretty much anyone else from what I've seen.

    Then install one program, not a pile, and verify again. Proceed cautiously, checking each one.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums