Contradictory Behavior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 12
    W10
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Try3 said:
    So your display is dimming after
    AC - 6 mins 15 secs
    DC - 4 mins 9 secs
    This will have been put in by the computer maker [or perhaps the display adapter maker?].

    The easiest solution is to get dimming to appear in your user interface so I suggest you ask for guidance in the tutorial about its refusal to appear.
    [Do check that you ran the command he suggested in an elevated command prompt]
    Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options - TenForumsTutorials
    Shawn Brink will be only too delighted to help.


    If it really proves impossible to get it to appear in the user interface then the alternative is to use PowerCfg commands to change the property directly. I have not had to do this for years but if you really need to use this method then I'll work it out, test it then post it.
    [It's not complicated, it's just that I have not had to do it for so long]

    We are in different timezones. I'll be back online tomorrow or Monday.

    All the best,
    Denis
    Any idea on the screen saver front? It doesn't consistently turn on after 15 minutes as configured in the screen saver settings. Sometimes (often), I walk up to my computer in the morning and see the screen saver never started.
      My Computer

  2. spunk's Avatar
    Posts : 3,196
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit 20H2
       #12

    Are you using a special Theme with Windows 10 that includes a Screensaver? Check the settings in the Theme. Or another 3rd party Screensaver? Check your other power settings that the monitor does not shut off before the Screensaver comes on. Have you tried one of the Windows Default Screensavers to test?
    If you have a special theme that would be something to consider
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 12
    W10
    Thread Starter
       #13

    spunk said:
    I would also look at the Menu on the monitor itself and see if there is a dim after setting there.
    Thank you Spunk, there is a sleep timer, which I've got turned to off. There's also an energy saving mode, which is also disabled.

    - - - Updated - - -

    spunk said:
    If you have a special theme that would be something to consider
    Nothing custom going on over here just yet. I've got a fairly vanilla install of Win10. I only recently built the computer.
      My Computer

  4. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,415
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1288
       #14

    ninicp said:
    Any idea on the screen saver front?
    No, afraid not. I never use screensavers so I have not built up any knowledge of the subject.

    If you want to search the forum for existing threads about it then I suggest you use
    Advanced Search - TenForums
    and also consider limiting the search to ones for which the screensaver was the primary issue by setting the TitlesOnly field
    Contradictory Behavior-advanced-search-titles-only.png

    Best of luck,
    Denis
      My Computer

  5. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,743
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #15

    I don't do much with screensavers, usually the Ribbons, Mystify or similar, have the file extension of .scr. Double-clicking the file will invoke it for viewing the set later. Some from earlier Windows will work.
      My Computers

  6. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,415
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1288
       #16

    Try3 said:
    If it really proves impossible to get it to appear in the user interface then the alternative is to use PowerCfg commands to change the property directly. I have not had to do this for years but if you really need to use this method then I'll work it out, test it then post it.
    [It's not complicated, it's just that I have not had to do it for so long]
    ninicp said:
    Thank you Try3, I appreciate your help! I'll give it a whirl on the tutorial as suggested.
    You do not seem to be getting anywhere so here is the PowerCfg direct method. I've included the checks I did before and after because they are our only confirmation of the effect the commands are having
    - Note that I ran these commands successfully in an ordinary command prompt but I had always thought that an elevated command prompt was required. Quite surprising.


    Step 1 - Check your power plans
    Run this command
    Code:
    powercfg /l
    and you'll probably get this response
    Code:
    Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
    -----------------------------------
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced) *
    i.e. Just the Balanced plan
    If you have additional power plans then they will need to be set separately and I've commented on this in Possible Step 5 below


    Step 2 - Check your current Dim display after values
    - This command is like the powercfg /qh command I suggested in an earlier post but it just responds with this particular section of PowerCfg properties so it's easier to see what's going on.
    Code:
    powercfg /qh SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM
    Mine were set to {decimal} 30 seconds [because I'd been playing in order to test what I was doing before posting]
    Code:
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced)
      GUID Alias: SCHEME_BALANCED
      Subgroup GUID: 7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99  (Display)
        GUID Alias: SUB_VIDEO
        Power Setting GUID: 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee  (Dim display after)
          GUID Alias: VIDEODIM
          Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
          Maximum Possible Setting: 0xffffffff
          Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
          Possible Settings units: Seconds
        Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x0000001e
        Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x0000001e


    Step 3 - Change the Dim display after values
    Run both these commands
    Code:
    PowerCfg -SetDCValueIndex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0
    Code:
    PowerCfg -SetACValueIndex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0


    Step 4 - Check your new Dim display after values
    Code:
    powercfg /qh SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM
    You should now see that they have both been set to 0 which means Never.
    Code:
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced)
      GUID Alias: SCHEME_BALANCED
      Subgroup GUID: 7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99  (Display)
        GUID Alias: SUB_VIDEO
        Power Setting GUID: 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee  (Dim display after)
          GUID Alias: VIDEODIM
          Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
          Maximum Possible Setting: 0xffffffff
          Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
          Possible Settings units: Seconds
        Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000
        Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000


    Possible Step 5 - Set up Dim display after for other power plans if applicable
    If you have additional power plans then you will have to repeat the commands for each of them.
    Change the command used to set them by substituting its GUID from Step 1 in place of the 'Alias' I used for Balanced SCHEME_BALANCED
    So the revised commands would be in the form
    Code:
    powercfg /qh 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM
    Code:
    PowerCfg -SetDCValueIndex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0
    Code:
    PowerCfg -SetACValueIndex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0
    Note that I do not have any other power plans so all I could do was test this on was my Balanced plan.


    This procedure should stop Dim display after happening. Do let me know how you get on.

    I also used to suffer from Dim display after happening [on just one computer].
    - I used the method in the tutorial to get the section to appear in Power options, <Select the chosen or the only plan>, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings, Display
    - I have not had to use PowerCfg directly for ages. I had always intended to work out how to do it directly but had never got around to it.

    All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 12
    W10
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Try3 said:
    You do not seem to be getting anywhere so here is the PowerCfg direct method. I've included the checks I did before and after because they are our only confirmation of the effect the commands are having
    - Note that I ran these commands successfully in an ordinary command prompt but I had always thought that an elevated command prompt was required. Quite surprising.


    Step 1 - Check your power plans
    Run this command
    Code:
    powercfg /l
    and you'll probably get this response
    Code:
    Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
    -----------------------------------
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced) *
    i.e. Just the Balanced plan
    If you have additional power plans then they will need to be set separately and I've commented on this in Possible Step 5 below


    Step 2 - Check your current Dim display after values
    - This command is like the powercfg /qh command I suggested in an earlier post but it just responds with this particular section of PowerCfg properties so it's easier to see what's going on.
    Code:
    powercfg /qh SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM
    Mine were set to {decimal} 30 seconds [because I'd been playing in order to test what I was doing before posting]
    Code:
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced)
      GUID Alias: SCHEME_BALANCED
      Subgroup GUID: 7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99  (Display)
        GUID Alias: SUB_VIDEO
        Power Setting GUID: 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee  (Dim display after)
          GUID Alias: VIDEODIM
          Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
          Maximum Possible Setting: 0xffffffff
          Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
          Possible Settings units: Seconds
        Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x0000001e
        Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x0000001e


    Step 3 - Change the Dim display after values
    Run both these commands
    Code:
    PowerCfg -SetDCValueIndex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0
    Code:
    PowerCfg -SetACValueIndex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0


    Step 4 - Check your new Dim display after values
    Code:
    powercfg /qh SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM
    You should now see that they have both been set to 0 which means Never.
    Code:
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced)
      GUID Alias: SCHEME_BALANCED
      Subgroup GUID: 7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99  (Display)
        GUID Alias: SUB_VIDEO
        Power Setting GUID: 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee  (Dim display after)
          GUID Alias: VIDEODIM
          Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
          Maximum Possible Setting: 0xffffffff
          Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
          Possible Settings units: Seconds
        Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000
        Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000000


    Possible Step 5 - Set up Dim display after for other power plans if applicable
    If you have additional power plans then you will have to repeat the commands for each of them.
    Change the command used to set them by substituting its GUID from Step 1 in place of the 'Alias' I used for Balanced SCHEME_BALANCED
    So the revised commands would be in the form
    Code:
    powercfg /qh 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM
    Code:
    PowerCfg -SetDCValueIndex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0
    Code:
    PowerCfg -SetACValueIndex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0
    Note that I do not have any other power plans so all I could do was test this on was my Balanced plan.


    This procedure should stop Dim display after happening. Do let me know how you get on.

    I also used to suffer from Dim display after happening [on just one computer].
    - I used the method in the tutorial to get the section to appear in Power options, <Select the chosen or the only plan>, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings, Display
    - I have not had to use PowerCfg directly for ages. I had always intended to work out how to do it directly but had never got around to it.

    All the best,
    Denis
    Wow....just wow. You went above and beyond anything I had hoped. I believe my dimming problem is resolved, I'll continue to monitor and see, but I just let it sit for ~10 minutes and no dimming occurred. Thank you so much, you have been a huge help, I very much appreciate it.
      My Computer

  8. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,415
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1288
       #18

    I'm glad to have been able to help.

    Once you've monitored things for long enough to feel satisfied, you can mark the thread as Solved by clicking on the green control at the bottom.
    Contradictory Behavior-mark-solved.png

    Denis



    Welcome to TenForums.

    It's really worth making time to browse through the Tutorial index - there's a shortcut to it at the top of every page.
    - At the foot of the Tutorial index is a shortcut to download it as a spreadsheet.
    - I download a new copy each month so I can benefit from Excel's filtering capabilities when I search for topics of interest.
    - Tutorials are also listed by category at Tutorials - there's also a shortcut to that at the top of every page.
    - Both tutorial pages are searchable.
    - You can also search for TenForumsTutorials in many general search engines, such as Google, by adding site:tenforums.com/tutorials after your search term. For example,
    taskbar toolbars site:tenforums.com/tutorials

    - And note that you can also search TenForums threads [rather than just searching tutorials] in many general search engines, such as Google, by adding site:tenforums.com after your search term. For example,
    Search for drivers by HardwareID site:tenforums.com
    [This is what the search box in the top-right corner of TenForums webpages does automatically]
      My Computer

  9. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,415
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1288
       #19

    If your display still dims then some utility or other is doing it not Windows.

    Does it also happen in another user account? Create one for test purposes if you do not already have one.
    Does it happen in Safe mode? Boot into Safe Mode - TenForumsTutorials

    While you're at it, please put these results [the whole display section of the powercfg properties] in a text file and attach it.
    - Choose a folder path of your own rather than my example one.
    Code:
    powercfg /qh SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO >D:\Desktop\PowerCfg-DisplaySection.txt
    - You attach files in the same way that you post pictures - How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files - TenForumsTutorials

    After what period of inactivity is the screen dimming?

    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 26 Jul 2021 at 11:06.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums