Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1.    23 Aug 2015 #71
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 45
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I did this last night and all it did was give me Win 10 (it took at least 45 minutes) What it did was LOOSE everything I had the first time around with Win 10... It lost my emails and contacts and a few programs of which I do not have the CD's with me (I am not home and won't be for a few months)...... I was using Outlook from 2003 (yes shame on me) I did find on here where I exported my contacts a long time ago but have no idea how to put them into the mail on Win 10...

    I'll hang around (as best I can) and ask questions.....

    Thanks to those who tried to help and Phhhtttttttttt to those who high jacked

    I do have another question? What do I do to keep MS from spying on me? I know there is a setting but I don't remember what or where it is.....
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    23 Aug 2015 #72
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Windows 10 is crap. I wonder how a whole Microsoft can make a software and didn't even take the time to test it out to the last before releasing. I am so pissed right now. First after i upgraded from Win 7(yes my system was checked and approved for upgrade), i first of all lost controls of my keyboard on log in, tot it was a glitch on my part, little did i know. I restarted and everything seemed fine, until i tried to play music, found out my sound was gone. Had to start browsing to figure out the problem, eventually did. few days after i tried to open my picture folder only to see a prompt that i don't have administrative rights to open them. Its my computer for freaking sake!!! The one that got me going and i decided that enough is enough i am going back to my Win 7 but first i must pour my grievance here, is that i hid some very important files that i didn't want anyone searching for anything to find in 'Programes Files (x86)' folder, i just wanted to use them only to find out that they are gone. For crying out how can i do an upgrade and got my files deleted without permission?!!!!! So.... Windows 10? After 2 weeks? Is Wacked! Wacked!! Thank You.
    I think one post will do.. don't ya??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    23 Aug 2015 #73
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 122
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Windows 10 is crap. I wonder how a whole Microsoft can make a software and didn't even take the time to test it out to the last before releasing. I am so pissed right now. First after i upgraded from Win 7(yes my system was checked and approved for upgrade), i first of all lost controls of my keyboard on log in, tot it was a glitch on my part, little did i know. I restarted and everything seemed fine, until i tried to play music, found out my sound was gone. Had to start browsing to figure out the problem, eventually did. few days after i tried to open my picture folder only to see a prompt that i don't have administrative rights to open them. Its my computer for freaking sake!!! The one that got me going and i decided that enough is enough i am going back to my Win 7 but first i must pour my grievance here, is that i hid some very important files that i didn't want anyone searching for anything to find in 'Programes Files (x86)' folder, i just wanted to use them only to find out that they are gone. For crying out how can i do an upgrade and got my files deleted without permission?!!!!! So.... Windows 10? After 2 weeks? Is Wacked! Wacked!! Thank You.
    I might have missed it but what brand of computer were you upgrading to?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    23 Aug 2015 #74
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,001
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
    I was using Outlook from 2003 (yes shame on me) I did find on here where I exported my contacts a long time ago but have no idea how to put them into the mail on Win 10...
    Put them in the People app.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeB View Post

    I do have another question? What do I do to keep MS from spying on me? I know there is a setting but I don't remember what or where it is.....
    In settings app>Privacy- you can read what each setting does there too. A word or caution, the location setting can cause some universal apps to fail. For example when turned on for mail & calendar it crashes the calendar app, so it's best left off for them. When turned of for Cortana it "kills" her and just becomes windows search like in windows 8. Some apps need to share information with one another to fully or function at all, so be careful there too.

    Microsoft isn't "Spying", the info is sent to a server(everything coded in hash that identifies a device, not a person), and this data is used to improve or at the very least make it possible to use certain apps. They're not like Google that scans the words(not content meaning) of your Emails. I leave this stuff on and am having a great user experience. To learn more about how this works, search in the inter net about "Big Data", but don't just go to one place, go to a lot of sites. In short companies save data and it will be filtered for a specific need and the rest tossed aside. Somewhat like the brain. Every second your senses are receiving millions of bits of data, but the brain filters to the conciouse part only what you need, like a new smell, or a change in temperature(things that stay the same will go unnoticed), big data is filtered like in Cortana to your interest like local weather, favorite sports teams, what you search mostly for. And I find this a great tool to filter out junk I don't care about.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    23 Aug 2015 #75
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 259
    win7 and ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
    So I was duped into upgrading thinking I could go back to Win 7 if Win 10 was not to my liking... I tried to go back to Win 7 only to be told I'm sorry but some of the components where removed to be able to install Win 10. So you can not go back to Win 7..... I am sure it was something I did wrong in the install. My laptop came with Win 7 installed and I can not read the product number on the sticker.... So I'm stuck with Win 10
    Supposedly the key is the same one used with your win7. You do not get a new win 10 key when you upgrade
    So run belarc advisor, get the key, do a clean install of windows 7
    Win 7 you can download from ms
    How to Download Windows 10, 7, 8, and 8.1 Install Media Legally

    Did your win 10 activate ok?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    23 Aug 2015 #76
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 756
    Windows 10 Home

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    23 Aug 2015 #77
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,587
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    Supposedly the key is the same one used with your win7. You do not get a new win 10 key when you upgrade
    So run belarc advisor, get the key, do a clean install of windows 7
    Win 7 you can download from ms
    How to Download Windows 10, 7, 8, and 8.1 Install Media Legally

    Did your win 10 activate ok?
    You get a generic Windows 10 key when you upgrade. I got the same generic key with all 4 of my upgrades. One was from Windows 7 the other three were from Windows 8.1. That Window 10 key is useless for clean installs unless that hardware has already been activated with Windows 10. You don't even need to enter it actually, you can just click skip when prompted to enter a key. The key that Belarc gives you won't work for a Windows 7 install, its a Windows 10 key.

    And incase it was missed, I posted earlier that if this was a factory OEM-SLP install, the Windows 7 key that a keyfinder will show you can't be used with regular install media. That key is blocked from online activation. It's done on purpose. OEM-SLP installs use a common key per manufacturer and don't activate online. You need custom OEM recovery media or custom OEM branded install media to use it. If your going to use a regular Windows 7 DVD, you have to use the code on the COA sticker. If you can read that code your going to have to order recovery disk set from the OEM. If at some time Windows 7 was installed using the code on the COA sticker, showkey will get it for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    23 Aug 2015 #78
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 259
    win7 and ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    You get a generic Windows 10 key when you upgrade. I got the same generic key with all 4 of my upgrades. One was from Windows 7 the other three were from Windows 8.1. That Window 10 key is useless for clean installs unless that hardware has already been activated with Windows 10. You don't even need to enter it actually, you can just click skip when prompted to enter a key. The key that Belarc gives you won't work for a Windows 7 install, its a Windows 10 key.

    And incase it was missed, I posted earlier that if this was a factory OEM-SLP install, the Windows 7 key that a keyfinder will show you can't be used with regular install media. That key is blocked from online activation. It's done on purpose. OEM-SLP installs use a common key per manufacturer and don't activate online. You need custom OEM recovery media or custom OEM branded install media to use it. If your going to use a regular Windows 7 DVD, you have to use the code on the COA sticker. If you can read that code your going to have to order recovery disk set from the OEM. If at some time Windows 7 was installed using the code on the COA sticker, showkey will get it for you.
    What I had to do to get win10. granted I am not well versed in windows activations, I ended up with an activated win10.

    I had a PC with win 8.1 pro activated. Before I did anything, I used belarc to get the installed key. I then upgraded to win 10.
    Then I shrunk the drive, wanted to make two partitions on the drive and also to clone the install in case the drive self destructed, so I have backup plug and play.
    The shrink process failed and win 10 pro no longer worked
    So I decided to clean install 8.1 pro, I downloaded from MS. When asked for the key, I entered the key Belarc reported.
    It worked and activated win 8.1 pro.
    I then shrunk the drive using minitool partition wizard, that worked.
    Then I upgraded again to win 10, that activated.
    Then I cloned the drive with minitool partition wizard
    Now both the original drive and the clone work, plug in either one and it boots to win 10 and shows activated.

    I also tested out the system reset before the upgrade on win 8.1 and it worked I went through a lot of wondering if it would work, I thought it should work, eventually it did work. This upgrade befudlement ended up taking 2 days of my time to figure it out. Kind of a pain! The builtin partition resizer in windows did not work. I also used clonezilla a couple of times and had to repair the boot loader.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    23 Aug 2015 #79
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 122
    Windows 10

    Sure sounds like a lot of work to me. Just hope you don't need the second copy. Also hope the HD does not fail.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    23 Aug 2015 #80
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 259
    win7 and ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalcurisity View Post
    Sure sounds like a lot of work to me. Just hope you don't need the second copy. Also hope the HD does not fail.
    For me, I quess it was worth it, maybe I learned a few things! I got to finally use win 10 and have a backup just in case.
    It is much quicker - easier to just plug in a drive and get going again. Otherwise, the install process, takes too long I think. MS popped up a message asking me about the upgrade and I told them my opinion was it took too long, what if I lost power? A dead PC?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Pretty disappointed so far
A disclaimer: I never liked Windows 7, or Vista, or XP. I used them, but never enjoyed the experience. Windows Phone and Windows 8, and then 8.1 are the first OS Microsoft ever made that I liked. I fact I loved 8/8.1. I installed the Windows 10...
General Support
Without XP Support and Disappointed with Windows 8.1, Users Still Looking Forward to Windows 9
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:16.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums