Nothing but a black window at bootup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #11

    socklosk said:
    I going to leave for a while and try to recreate a Crive on a different hard drive.
    hmmm....
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #12

    jds63 said:
    hmmm....
    Indeed
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 157
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Bazz said:
    Indeed
    What I'm trying to do is create a restore an image from a past backup from an earlier time period to another hard drive using my old computer.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 703
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #14

    socklosk said:
    What I'm trying to do is create a restore an image from a past backup from an earlier time period to another hard drive using my old computer.
    1st - I think that when you have an issue of this type, then you should fully complete your "System Specs" section of your profile!! (Also update which version of Win10 is installed ie Home, Pro, x86, x64)
    +++++

    My suggestion, as this is what I would do as it often saves time.

    To determine where the fault may lie:
    • Power down & unplug pc & monitor
    • With the exception of your monitor, disconnect everything plugged into your system (incl mouse, keyboard, usb devices etc literally everything lol)
    • Open up the case
    • I know you did it earlier, but remove the battery for bios settings again
    • Disconnect all drives (SSD, HDD and opticals)
    • Remove all expansion cards
    • Remove all RAM modules
    • Blow out any dust from around the motherboard with compressed air
    • Put ONLY ONE of the RAM modules back in a slot
    • Disconnect everything from your headers (front usb headers, front audio etc) except the power switch duh
    • You should be left with a system where only the PSU, motherboard, single Ram module, CPU & heatsink/fan are connected
    • Put the battery back in
    • Double check the cpu fan is still connected properly
    • Turn her (or maybe a him) back on
    • Fingers crossed she (or he) is now POSTing correctly


    Please advise us of the outcome
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 157
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #15

    WhyMe said:
    1st - I think that when you have an issue of this type, then you should fully complete your "System Specs" section of your profile!! (Also update which version of Win10 is installed ie Home, Pro, x86, x64)
    +++++

    My suggestion, as this is what I would do as it often saves time.

    To determine where the fault may lie:
    • Power down & unplug pc & monitor
    • With the exception of your monitor, disconnect everything plugged into your system (incl mouse, keyboard, usb devices etc literally everything lol)
    • Open up the case
    • I know you did it earlier, but remove the battery for bios settings again
    • Disconnect all drives (SSD, HDD and opticals)
    • Remove all expansion cards
    • Remove all RAM modules
    • Blow out any dust from around the motherboard with compressed air
    • Put ONLY ONE of the RAM modules back in a slot
    • Disconnect everything from your headers (front usb headers, front audio etc) except the power switch duh
    • You should be left with a system where only the PSU, motherboard, single Ram module, CPU & heatsink/fan are connected
    • Put the battery back in
    • Double check the cpu fan is still connected properly
    • Turn her (or maybe a him) back on
    • Fingers crossed she (or he) is now POSTing correctly


    Please advise us of the outcome
    I did exactly as you said and all I get is a Bios message that my Gigabyte system is has duel bios, then the black screen again. I cannot get into the bios but I know that everything is set to the default values. Hooking up my C: drive, I get the same. I really think that this is a motherboard issue.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 703
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #16

    Ok keep the hard disk and everything else disconnected. Just keep it as a basic test rig with nothing connected (no keyboard or mouse either). We are not looking to enter the BIOS at this stage. All we want to achieve is a successful POST.

    So in that case:
    • Put the single RAM into a different slot at try again.
    • If no good then try in the next slot.
    • If no good again then try in the final slot.
    • If still no good try the same method with the next RAM module until there are no further RAM modules.

    Please report back.

    Please ensure you are unplugging the power from the wall each time you are removing or installing each RAM module

    Please ensure you observing ESD protocols to safeguard your equipment from static discharge. Earth yourself.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 157
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #17

    WhyMe said:
    Ok keep the hard disk and everything else disconnected. Just keep it as a basic test rig with nothing connected (no keyboard or mouse either). We are not looking to enter the BIOS at this stage. All we want to achieve is a successful POST.

    So in that case:
    • Put the single RAM into a different slot at try again.
    • If no good then try in the next slot.
    • If no good again then try in the final slot.
    • If still no good try the same method with the next RAM module until there are no further RAM modules.

    Please report back.

    Please ensure you are unplugging the power from the wall each time you are removing or installing each RAM module

    Please ensure you observing ESD protocols to safeguard your equipment from static discharge. Earth yourself.
    I disconnected everything except one stick of memory and after a few restarts, I got into the bios. Then I connected my hard drive and again after a few cold boots, my computer loaded completely into windows. But this was short lived, and even disconnecting everything would again become a black screen. It would not go away no matter which channel the single memory cartridge was loaded into. It's obvious that it's an intermittent problem that makes me more sure that it's a motherboard issue.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums