1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       21 Aug 2015 #1

    Windows 10 System Image not recognized for recovery


    Hello,

    I am trying to restore a Windows 10 system image with no luck. Here is what led up to this situation:

    1. Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 when it became available the end of July.
    2. Made a System Image (ssd m.2 mounted on the motherboard) after I was to a point where everything seemed to be working fine on 8/12/15 and saved the image to a separate hard drive on my system (E: drive).
    3. Updated the bios from 2012 to 2501 yesterday and I was no longer able to boot from the ssd drive. Windows would start to load and then give me an error that no operating system was available. Tried everything I could to get Windows 10 to boot from the ssd drive with no luck (after the initial boot manager reached the point where the operating system should begin to load, all drive activity stopped)
    4. Performed a System Restore saving all personal data because I could not see the system image I had created or access the original ssd partition the had original Windows 10 on it in a command prompt from within Windows RE (the drive did not exist).
    5. Windows 10 now loads less all the programs I had installed.
    6. When I attempt to restore the system image from advanced options in Windows 10 RE, it gets to the point of showing me available images for which there are none showing. I copied the image from the original hard drive to a USB hard drive and to a network location. Windows does not recognize the image in any of the locations.

    I read in a thread somewhere that in Windows 10, the only way to restore a system with a windows system image was with the actual OS that created it. Since I did the Restore from the original system image from the recovery partition and not the one I had made the image with I am assuming that is why Windows is not showing any image to restore.

    I have a custom built system:
    Asus P97 Pro mobo
    Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz
    32 GB RAM
    64 bit Windows 10
    SSD - Crucial CT500MX200SSD4
    Hard Drives x2 - Toshiba DT01ACA300

    Any ideas would be appreciated on how to get Windows 10 to recognize the image. I am going to give it about another hour of research and then do a clean install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       21 Aug 2015 #2

    dilligaf said: View Post
    Hello,

    I am trying to restore a Windows 10 system image with no luck. Here is what led up to this situation:

    1. Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 when it became available the end of July.
    2. Made a System Image (ssd m.2 mounted on the motherboard) after I was to a point where everything seemed to be working fine on 8/12/15 and saved the image to a separate hard drive on my system (E: drive).
    3. Updated the bios from 2012 to 2501 yesterday and I was no longer able to boot from the ssd drive. Windows would start to load and then give me an error that no operating system was available. Tried everything I could to get Windows 10 to boot from the ssd drive with no luck (after the initial boot manager reached the point where the operating system should begin to load, all drive activity stopped)
    4. Performed a System Restore saving all personal data because I could not see the system image I had created or access the original ssd partition the had original Windows 10 on it in a command prompt from within Windows RE (the drive did not exist).
    5. Windows 10 now loads less all the programs I had installed.
    6. When I attempt to restore the system image from advanced options in Windows 10 RE, it gets to the point of showing me available images for which there are none showing. I copied the image from the original hard drive to a USB hard drive and to a network location. Windows does not recognize the image in any of the locations.

    I read in a thread somewhere that in Windows 10, the only way to restore a system with a windows system image was with the actual OS that created it. Since I did the Restore from the original system image from the recovery partition and not the one I had made the image with I am assuming that is why Windows is not showing any image to restore.

    I have a custom built system:
    Asus P97 Pro mobo
    Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz
    32 GB RAM
    64 bit Windows 10
    SSD - Crucial CT500MX200SSD4
    Hard Drives x2 - Toshiba DT01ACA300

    Any ideas would be appreciated on how to get Windows 10 to recognize the image. I am going to give it about another hour of research and then do a clean install.
    I had to turn on backup or restore your files before my images were seen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       21 Aug 2015 #3

    Thanks for the tip.

    I turned Backup on and still no luck.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       21 Aug 2015 #4

    dilligaf said: View Post
    Thanks for the tip.

    I turned Backup on and still no luck.
    I also started to run a backup and restore files and then cancelled it then turned it back off, also make sure system restore is turned on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 1,954
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       21 Aug 2015 #5

    Before we can go further. May I ask when you are in current Windows 10, does Windows still recognize the m.2 SSD ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       21 Aug 2015 #6

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Before we can go further. May I ask when you are in current Windows 10, does Windows still recognize the m.2 SSD ?
    That's the exact same problem I had when I first installed until I did the above and then a restart would it read my images on my internal 2tb western digital sata.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       21 Aug 2015 #7

    Windows 10 was originally on the m.2 ssd. Then I did the Bios upgrade and I was unable to reboot. I then tried to do an image restore from the recovery counsel, no luck as it did not see the image I had made. Next a system repair, again with no luck as it did not see the windows install on the m.2 ssd to repair it. Last option was to try system restore from the recovery counsel and that restored Win 10 less all of the programs of course so that I could once again boot from the m.2 ssd. I then tried to once again restore the image from various locations with no luck even after turning backup on, off and on again. I am in the process of reinstalling Win 10 as a fresh install on the m.2 ssd and then I am going to try the system image restore once again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       21 Aug 2015 #8

    dilligaf said: View Post
    Windows 10 was originally on the m.2 ssd. Then I did the Bios upgrade and I was unable to reboot. I then tried to do an image restore from the recovery counsel, no luck as it did not see the image I had made. Next a system repair, again with no luck as it did not see the windows install on the m.2 ssd to repair it. Last option was to try system restore from the recovery counsel and that restored Win 10 less all of the programs of course so that I could once again boot from the m.2 ssd. I then tried to once again restore the image from various locations with no luck even after turning backup on, off and on again. I am in the process of reinstalling Win 10 as a fresh install on the m.2 ssd and then I am going to try the system image restore once again.
    Let us know how you get on because you could have something with the disk not made for this operating system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
System Image - Create Hardware Independent System Image
How to Create Hardware Independent System Image for Installing Windows 10 In this tutorial we will prepare a Windows 10 image customizing the default user profile and install software we want to include in a clean Windows installation. When...
Tutorials
Configuring System Image on Recovery Partition
Hello - I have just done a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro to my reasonably old hardware. I am running a boot loader called Clover which emulates EFI and Windows 10 has therefore been installed to a GPT disk. I manually configured the...
Performance & Maintenance
Reset Recovery Image - Create in Windows 10
How to Create a Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. When you reset your PC, it will remove everything and reinstall Windows 10 to start...
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums