I am trying to restore a Windows 10 system image with no luck. Here is what led up to this situation:
1. Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 when it became available the end of July.
2. Made a System Image (ssd m.2 mounted on the motherboard) after I was to a point where everything seemed to be working fine on 8/12/15 and saved the image to a separate hard drive on my system (E: drive).
3. Updated the bios from 2012 to 2501 yesterday and I was no longer able to boot from the ssd drive. Windows would start to load and then give me an error that no operating system was available. Tried everything I could to get Windows 10 to boot from the ssd drive with no luck (after the initial boot manager reached the point where the operating system should begin to load, all drive activity stopped)
4. Performed a System Restore saving all personal data because I could not see the system image I had created or access the original ssd partition the had original Windows 10 on it in a command prompt from within Windows RE (the drive did not exist).
5. Windows 10 now loads less all the programs I had installed.
6. When I attempt to restore the system image from advanced options in Windows 10 RE, it gets to the point of showing me available images for which there are none showing. I copied the image from the original hard drive to a USB hard drive and to a network location. Windows does not recognize the image in any of the locations.
I read in a thread somewhere that in Windows 10, the only way to restore a system with a windows system image was with the actual OS that created it. Since I did the Restore from the original system image from the recovery partition and not the one I had made the image with I am assuming that is why Windows is not showing any image to restore.
I have a custom built system:
Asus P97 Pro mobo
Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
64 bit Windows 10
SSD - Crucial CT500MX200SSD4
Hard Drives x2 - Toshiba DT01ACA300
Any ideas would be appreciated on how to get Windows 10 to recognize the image. I am going to give it about another hour of research and then do a clean install.