Help! Folder won't go away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. RingTailCoon's Avatar
    Posts : 1,396
    Windows 10 HOME 64-BIT
       #1

    Help! Folder won't go away!


    Since yesterday I have a HUGE problem, one of my folders just refuses to leave the desktop. You can put stuff in it, but you won't get it out again. Windows says it's not to be found but IT IS RIGHT THERE! I tried several ways to get rid of it (trying to unlock the folder, maybe it was locked? No avail.) It just won't go away...

    Help! Folder won't go away!-untitled-1.jpg

    Nuke WIndows and start over?
      My Computer

  2. wiganken's Avatar
    Posts : 474
    Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
       #2

    Have you clicked on a blank area of the desktop and then pressed the F5 key to 'Refresh' the desktop? This can make the folder disappear.
      My Computers

  3. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 13,396
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #3

    Hello @RingTailCoon,

    [1] What do the Properties of the Folder say?
    [2] Have you tried Deleting it from CMD Prompt or Safe Mode?

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer

  4. Fabler2's Avatar
    Posts : 3,326
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #4

    I use 7-zip to compress files but I should think any zip app should work. Try this, in 7-zip right click the undeletable folder and select 'add to archive'. In the pane that opens select 'Delete files after compression' and OK. Delete the zip file created.

    Help! Folder won't go away!-screenshot_7.png

    Help! Folder won't go away!-screenshot_6.png

    See if that method gets rid of it.
      My Computers

  5. RingTailCoon's Avatar
    Posts : 1,396
    Windows 10 HOME 64-BIT
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Paul Black said:
    Hello @RingTailCoon,

    [1] What do the Properties of the Folder say?
    [2] Have you tried Deleting it from CMD Prompt or Safe Mode?

    I hope this helps.
    None of that worked but thanks! I myself have hid the folders now (as hidden read-only folders) and clicked in File Explorer to hide the folders. But no prob, all they too away were some 20 MB (contained one MP3 folder)
      My Computer

  6. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 13,396
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #6

    Hello @RingTailCoon,

    RingTailCoon said:
    None of that worked but thanks! I myself have hid the folders now (as hidden read-only folders) and clicked in File Explorer to hide the folders. But no prob, all they too away were some 20 MB (contained one MP3 folder)
    You are VERY welcome.
      My Computer

  7. ricardobohner's Avatar
    Posts : 359
    Windows 10
       #7

    Use the command prompt.

    First go open a command prompt and go to your desk. Then use a dir /x to get the shortname (8.3) and use rd /q /s shortname to delete the folder...

    cd /d "%userprofile%\desktop"
    dir /a /x
    rd /q /s {shortname}
      My Computer

  8. RingTailCoon's Avatar
    Posts : 1,396
    Windows 10 HOME 64-BIT
    Thread Starter
       #8

    ricardobohner said:
    Use the command prompt.

    First go open a command prompt and go to your desk. Then use a dir /x to get the shortname (8.3) and use rd /q /s shortname to delete the folder...

    cd /d "%userprofile%\desktop"
    dir /a /x
    rd /q /s {shortname}
    DOOD! It's GONE! :O Help! Folder won't go away!-untitled-1.jpg

    God I love this forum sometimes to BITS!
      My Computer

  9. RingTailCoon's Avatar
    Posts : 1,396
    Windows 10 HOME 64-BIT
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Oops, found a better way when things goes awry again... How to Delete a Stubborn Folder in Windows
      My Computer

  10. Fabler2's Avatar
    Posts : 3,326
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #10

    RingTailCoon said:
    Oops, found a better way when things goes awry again... How to Delete a Stubborn Folder in Windows
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums