Windows 10 Lite - Ghost Spectre

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Vellaura's Avatar
    Posts : 278
    Windows 10
       #1

    Windows 10 Lite - Ghost Spectre


    Hey all!

    What are your opinions on the custom windows 10 iso installs such as the Ghost Spectre version.

    I had a look and it looks really neato dorito, keeping out most if not all the bloaty programs we never usually use.

    You all know me and my OCD, a super clean windows sounds super sweet.

    Thoughts? :)
      My Computer

  2. bobkn's Avatar
    Posts : 3,741
    Win 10 X64 Pro 21H1 19043.1052
       #2

    Maybe a Linux distro would make more sense.

    I know nothing about it. "Ghost spectre" is entirely redundant, though.
      My Computers

  3. Vellaura's Avatar
    Posts : 278
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Hmmm, wanted to make sure it was simply windows without some of the features. I will do some further research, seems pretty legitimate so far.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 338
    Windows 10 20H2 (19042.685)
       #4

    I would say this is only relevant for those building extremely low-end PCs, specifically with very little hard drive space, such as simply using salvaged parts from old low-end PCs.

    In my case, the Windows folder takes about 16GB. The C: drive altogether is about 72 GB. This does not include any of my data - I don't keep my data on the system drive. Now, on the "Ghost Spectre" website they have a screenshot with drive C: properties and their whole drive C: is 15GB. I don't even know where to get such a small hard drive, except for taking apart some very old computers (I think I have a few old laptop drives lying around, but the smallest one is 30GB). Just for perspective, I am actively using Wofram Mathematica, which by itself takes up 11 GB of space in C: drive.

    As for "privacy" tweaks, you can easily turn off all the features you don't like (for example, I have the search indexer, search service, Cortana, etc. turned off), just search the multitude of tutorials on this forum. Removing the corresponding code completely can save you space, but unless you are limited by those ancient hard drives, this should not give you much of an advantage.

    At the end of the day, this is an admirable effort to save ancient computers but not much more. Personally, I would not gain anything at all by using such a version. And I'm not even discussing security. That depends on what is it that you do with your PC, but I would not trust any sensitive information to unknown modders.
      My Computer

  5. Vellaura's Avatar
    Posts : 278
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    unifex said:
    I would say this is only relevant for those building extremely low-end PCs, specifically with very little hard drive space, such as simply using salvaged parts from old low-end PCs.

    In my case, the Windows folder takes about 16GB. The C: drive altogether is about 72 GB. This does not include any of my data - I don't keep my data on the system drive. Now, on the "Ghost Spectre" website they have a screenshot with drive C: properties and their whole drive C: is 15GB. I don't even know where to get such a small hard drive, except for taking apart some very old computers (I think I have a few old laptop drives lying around, but the smallest one is 30GB). Just for perspective, I am actively using Wofram Mathematica, which by itself takes up 11 GB of space in C: drive.

    As for "privacy" tweaks, you can easily turn off all the features you don't like (for example, I have the search indexer, search service, Cortana, etc. turned off), just search the multitude of tutorials on this forum. Removing the corresponding code completely can save you space, but unless you are limited by those ancient hard drives, this should not give you much of an advantage.

    At the end of the day, this is an admirable effort to save ancient computers but not much more. Personally, I would not gain anything at all by using such a version. And I'm not even discussing security. That depends on what is it that you do with your PC, but I would not trust any sensitive information to unknown modders.
    Yea I know what you mean, I just like it's for its simplicity and "liteness" I guess.
      My Computer

  6. Lance1's Avatar
    Posts : 718
    Windows 10 Professional x64 21H1 Spectre
       #6

    Interesting post! I found and downloaded Ghost Spectre and am in the process of installing into my VM for testing. If your a gamer it would be advantages to install a striped down version of Win 10. Here's a video comparing a standard Win 10 with Tech YES City and Ghost Spectre builds. Also a link to the download if you so desire.

    Ghost Spectre Windows 10 Superlite Version




    - - - Updated - - -

    Here's a few shots of Ghost Spectre to give you an idea of the UI. This is it as a clean install. Note the processes in Task Manager. 86! I ran a debloat script on my main system for a test and I'm running 158! My system runs fine by the way after running the script and YES! Image the system. It actually runs better! I think I like Ghost Spectre BUT! More investigation into this build is needed. But at first glance, I like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 10 Lite - Ghost Spectre-file-explorer.png   Windows 10 Lite - Ghost Spectre-ghost-toolbox.png   Windows 10 Lite - Ghost Spectre-start-menu.png   Windows 10 Lite - Ghost Spectre-task-manager.png  
    Last edited by Lance1; 4 Weeks Ago at 18:03.
      My Computers

  7. Vellaura's Avatar
    Posts : 278
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Lance1 said:
    Interesting post! I found and downloaded Ghost Spectre and am in the process of installing into my VM for testing. If your a gamer it would be advantages to install a striped down version of Win 10. Here's a video comparing a standard Win 10 with Tech YES City and Ghost Spectre builds. Also a link to the download if you so desire.

    Ghost Spectre Windows 10 Superlite Version




    - - - Updated - - -

    Here's a few shots of Ghost Spectre to give you an idea of the UI. This is it as a clean install. Note the processes in Task Manager. 86! I ran a debloat script on my main system for a test and I'm running 158! My system runs fine by the way after running the script and YES! Image the system. It actually runs better! I think I like Ghost Spectre BUT! More investigation into this build is needed. But at first glance, I like it.
    Wow! Your incredible! You went through so much effort!

    Yes definitely, as someone who is a gamer and will be streaming soon it looks like a really good OS!

    I've also seen a ton of people say its runs much faster and snappier.

    I've also been doing some investigating and honestly I haven't found a single fault with it, no ones said anything negative about it, its pretty popular. I've even joined the discord and the people are really helpful.

    It honestly looks to be just a very fat free windows 10. It is also legitimate in that your product key and everything is still used to maintain credibility, I am in no way condoning piracy, just like the idea of having my windows trimmed down . I believe you can even continue to update as per usual however that may bring back some of that fat.

    Which version did you install @Lance1? I'm looking to try the Superlite version.

    Also happy to hear more from you on your findings!
      My Computer

  8. jbcarreon123's Avatar
    Posts : 1,346
    Windows 10 Pro v21H1 x64 (19043.1052), Linux (LiveUSB)
       #8

    I don't know if Recommend that software:
    Here at this forum:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-8f7586c27998

    One said it was modified by unknown person and delete all UWP apps.
      My Computers

  9. Vellaura's Avatar
    Posts : 278
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    jbcarreon123 said:
    I don't know if Recommend that software:
    Here at this forum:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-8f7586c27998

    One said it was modified by unknown person and delete all UWP apps.
    There are a few Windows ISO's out there, of which are a bit sketchy, the one I'm referring to is Ghost Spectre.

    Yea I think those apps are the ones that might be hogging resources.
      My Computer

  10. jbcarreon123's Avatar
    Posts : 1,346
    Windows 10 Pro v21H1 x64 (19043.1052), Linux (LiveUSB)
       #10

    Vellaura said:
    There are a few Windows ISO's out there, of which are a bit sketchy, the one I'm referring to is Ghost Spectre.

    Yea I think those apps are the ones that might be hogging resources.
    That's why I'm not using UWP apps but if that's no choice, I will use it.

    Also, that's was a bit sketchy Windows 10+ ISOs that scammed. example, Windows 12 Lite that is a modified version of Linux Lite.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also, there was a modified version of Windows 10 that the C drive is 1 GB of used space.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:47.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums