My laptop battery drains when completely shutdown

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 5
    10
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Thank you all for your replies. Laptop is 1 year old. Very seldom used, as in maybe once every few weeks. That's why I wake up with a completely discharged battery when I don't use it for about 2 weeks.

    Laptop is a MSI GL65 9SD. The battery is built in and it would take a lot of effort it seems to unplug (as in 12+ screws and prying out the case open with a sharp knife). Battery is good and solid if I would use the laptop daily, meaning when it's discharging it will last me a few hours when doing light browsing.

    IMO this has to do with Windows 10. Unfortunately the laptop is too new and it has no drivers for anything other than Windows 10 so I don't have the chance to install Win 7 and see how it works with that.

    It still has the factory Win 10 installation. I was going to format it and re-install everything since I'm having a few other issues with it, including svchost.exe (Network Service -p) keep downloading and killing my bandwith allotment and Civ 6 not loading, but no time

    MisterEd said:
    Open Command prompt with Admin privileges. Run this to get a battery report:

    Code:
    powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html
    How to generate a Battery Report in Windows 10
    How to generate a Battery Report in Windows 10 | Windows Central
    Installed batteries
    Information about each currently installed battery
    BATTERY 1
    NAME BIF0_9
    MANUFACTURER MSI
    SERIAL NUMBER -
    CHEMISTRY LION
    DESIGN CAPACITY 53,236 mWh
    FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 49,435 mWh
    CYCLE COUNT -


    Battery capacity history
    Charge capacity history of the system's batteries
    PERIOD FULL CHARGE CAPACITY DESIGN CAPACITY
    2020-02-09 - 2020-02-20 50,369 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2020-02-20 - 2020-02-29 50,369 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2020-02-29 - 2020-03-29 50,391 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2020-03-29 - 2020-04-19 51,390 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2020-04-19 - 2020-05-20 - -
    2021-03-03 - 2021-03-10 51,487 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-03-10 - 2021-03-17 51,487 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-03-17 - 2021-03-24 49,732 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-03-24 - 2021-03-31 49,320 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-03-31 - 2021-04-07 47,773 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-04-07 - 2021-04-14 49,779 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-04-14 - 2021-04-21 49,869 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-04-21 - 2021-04-28 49,404 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-04-29 48,968 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-04-30 48,968 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-01 48,968 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-02 48,968 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-03 49,067 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-04 49,370 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-05 49,370 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-06 49,393 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-07 49,476 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-08 49,456 mWh 53,236 mWh
    2021-05-09 49,456 mWh 53,236 mWh

    I use MSI Dragon Center and set my battery to charge below 50% and stop at 60%. So my battery will reach 0 and be dead if I try to turn on the laptop after about 2 weeks, so my option is to first plug it in to get it going. If I would charge it to 100%, I might get close to 4 weeks.

    Something seems to be draining the battery at about 2-3% per day when it's completely turned off. And I do believe it's turned off.

    If there is anything else I can check besides hibernation - which I turned off, which in turn made the fast startup option disappear completely that many online guides say to un-check, please let me know.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #12

    messerschmitt said:
    Thank you all for your replies. Laptop is 1 year old. Very seldom used, as in maybe once every few weeks. That's why I wake up with a completely discharged battery when I don't use it for about 2 weeks.
    Laptop is a MSI GL65 9SD. The battery is built in and it would take a lot of effort it seems to unplug (as in 12+ screws and prying out the case open with a sharp knife).

    You're most welcome.



    I would suggest you explore using something other than a knife for disassembling the case. I likely have a similar style of case on my MSI GP-72 laptop.

    I've been using a thin plastic scraper or credit card with great success. The process is very tedious but horribly simple. GO SLOWLY!

    I'll see if I can find the directions I wrote for another user but searching YouTube will produce many suitable results. If I didn't mention it enough, go slowly.



    messerschmitt said:
    It still has the factory Win 10 installation. I was going to format it and re-install everything since I'm having a few other issues with it, including svchost.exe (Network Service -p) keep downloading and killing my bandwidth allotment and Civ 6 not loading, but no time.

    Installed batteries
    Information about each currently installed battery
    BATTERY 1
    NAME BIF0_9
    MANUFACTURER MSI
    SERIAL NUMBER -
    CHEMISTRY LION
    DESIGN CAPACITY 53,236 mWh
    FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 49,435


    Those results show your battery condition to be at more than 92% of design. I'd investigate more deeply into your shutdown state. I have an old Dell with an aftermarket battery that survives months with no use. The battery decay was 20% at most.


    Open a Command Prompt, type or copy & paste the following and post results;

    Code:
    powercfg /availablesleepstates


    messerschmitt said:
    I use MSI Dragon Center and set my battery to charge below 50% and stop at 60%. So my battery will reach 0 and be dead if I try to turn on the laptop after about 2 weeks, so my option is to first plug it in to get it going. If I would charge it to 100%, I might get close to 4 weeks.


    I'm a bit fanatical about battery maintenance. Li batteries that are placed in storage for extended periods are best kept between 40 & 60%. If you're planning to use this battery every 4 weeks, I'd suggest using a different charging routine.

    I always try to maintain laptop batteries between ~43% & 90%. I've had great success with this process on my daily driver (MSI) and on my old Dell that might sit for 4 months.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5
    10
    Thread Starter
       #13

    W10 Tweaker said:
    You're most welcome.



    I would suggest you explore using something other than a knife for disassembling the case. I likely have a similar style of case on my MSI GP-72 laptop.

    I've been using a thin plastic scraper or credit card with great success. The process is very tedious but horribly simple. GO SLOWLY!

    I'll see if I can find the directions I wrote for another user but searching YouTube will produce many suitable results. If I didn't mention it enough, go slowly.







    Those results show your battery condition to be at more than 92% of design. I'd investigate more deeply into your shutdown state. I have an old Dell with an aftermarket battery that survives months with no use. The battery decay was 20% at most.


    Open a Command Prompt, type or copy & paste the following and post results;

    Code:
    powercfg /availablesleepstates






    I'm a bit fanatical about battery maintenance. Li batteries that are placed in storage for extended periods are best kept between 40 & 60%. If you're planning to use this battery every 4 weeks, I'd suggest using a different charging routine.

    I always try to maintain laptop batteries between ~43% & 90%. I've had great success with this process on my daily driver (MSI) and on my old Dell that might sit for 4 months.
    Apologies for the late reply.

    This is what powercfg shows

    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /availablesleepstates
    The following sleep states are available on this system:
        Standby (S3)
    
    The following sleep states are not available on this system:
        Standby (S1)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    
        Standby (S2)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    
        Hibernate
            Hibernation has not been enabled.
    
        Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    
        Hybrid Sleep
            Hibernation is not available.
    
        Fast Startup
            Hibernation is not available.
    I'm not familiar with it, but "Standby (S3)" doesn't sound good. It seems my windows 10 laptop is still standing by instead of completely shutting down? Google says "Save to RAM", so if the RAM keeps getting power, that would explain the battery drain.

    How can I make windows to completely shut down like all my Windows 7 laptops I had before?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,156
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v21H2
       #14

    messerschmitt said:
    Apologies for the late reply.

    This is what powercfg shows

    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /availablesleepstates
    The following sleep states are available on this system:
        Standby (S3)
    
    The following sleep states are not available on this system:
        Standby (S1)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    
        Standby (S2)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    
        Hibernate
            Hibernation has not been enabled.
    
        Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)
            The system firmware does not support this standby state.
    
        Hybrid Sleep
            Hibernation is not available.
    
        Fast Startup
            Hibernation is not available.
    I'm not familiar with it, but "Standby (S3)" doesn't sound good. It seems my windows 10 laptop is still standing by instead of completely shutting down? Google says "Save to RAM", so if the RAM keeps getting power, that would explain the battery drain.

    How can I make windows to completely shut down like all my Windows 7 laptops I had before?
    That only means your computer hardware support the S3 state. This is the normal sleep state that most computers have.

    If you never want your computer to ever sleep just go into the settings and disable it.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 405
    Windows 10 21H1
       #15

    How exactly are you shutting down your computer?

    I know it sounds like a silly question, but it seems you need to establish whether your laptop is indeed shot down or sleeping when you are not using it. However, it could also be that the battery discharges even when the laptop is shut down, my old Windows 7 laptop would be the prime example, but firstly, my battery is old, and secondly, I believe Acer screwed up the design (meaning my next laptop won't be Acer). If that's the case, there is nothing you can do, unfortunately.

    Another example is my new desktop. I don't know if that's the feature of the power supply or of the motherboard, but when the PC is completely shut down, the keyboard can still lit up if I touch it. Meaning, power is being used. Go figure.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4,573
    Windows 10 Pro
       #16

    "How can I make windows to completely shut down like all my Windows 7 laptops I had before" ?

    Are you serious ? Are you not shutting down your laptop between usage ????

    Your thread is titled

    My laptop battery drains when completely shutdown




      My Computers


  7. Posts : 5
    10
    Thread Starter
       #17

    unifex said:
    How exactly are you shutting down your computer?

    I know it sounds like a silly question, but it seems you need to establish whether your laptop is indeed shot down or sleeping when you are not using it. However, it could also be that the battery discharges even when the laptop is shut down, my old Windows 7 laptop would be the prime example, but firstly, my battery is old, and secondly, I believe Acer screwed up the design (meaning my next laptop won't be Acer). If that's the case, there is nothing you can do, unfortunately.

    Another example is my new desktop. I don't know if that's the feature of the power supply or of the motherboard, but when the PC is completely shut down, the keyboard can still lit up if I touch it. Meaning, power is being used. Go figure.
    Start - Shutdown.

    On my desktop (which also uses win 7), no lights are on inside the computer and nothing happens if I touch the keyboard.

    Until windows 10 (and this laptop that only supports windows 10), I never heard of those state powers other than standby (sleep), hibernate and complete shutdown.

    I had a Dell and a Lenovo T320 on Windows 7 and never had this problem. And when I shut it down, I could not use my laptop for months and still come back to almost the same battery charge, maybe a few percentages lower. Meanwhile with Windows 10, the battery drains 2%/day when I shut it down (via start - shutdown), including other problems with Windows 10 (always downloading and using my bandwidth in the background trying to update via Svchost networkservice -p, and no option to turn off updates)
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #18

    Did you notice when approximately this battery problem first appeared?

    This may be completely unrelated, however; my MSI GP-72 has just suddenly developed a battery issue. Mine is about 2.5 years old and I've been using primarily Sleep since installing an SSD.

    When I wake it from sleep for the past few days, the battery SOC has discharged to about 30% from about 85%, the night before.

    Usually, the drop is only about 5-10% over a couple of days. Maybe my battery has just suddenly expired or have we both been fouled by updates from M$ or MSI.

    I should also mention, this battery issue is a stark change from last week. About a month or two ago, it was operating just slightly above original design to slightly below.

    Lithium packs are known to fail suddenly but I've never witnessed the failure to be this rapid.

    I've likely had about 10 laptops in the past 30 years.
    Last edited by W10 Tweaker; 21 May 2021 at 09:04. Reason: typo
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5
    10
    Thread Starter
       #19

    W10 Tweaker said:
    Did you notice when approximately this battery problem first appeared?

    This may be completely unrelated, however; my MSI GP-72 has just suddenly developed a battery issue. Mine is about 2.5 years old and I've been using primarily Sleep since installing an SSD.

    When I wake it from sleep for the past few days, the battery SOC has discharged to about 30% from about 85%, the night before.

    Usually, the drop is only about 5-10% over a couple of days. Maybe my battery has just suddenly expired or have we both been fouled by updates from M$ or MSI.

    I should also mention, this battery issue is a stark change from last week. About a month or two ago, it was operating just slightly above original design to slightly below.

    Lithium packs are know to fail suddenly but I've never witnessed the failure to be this rapid.

    I've likely had about 10 laptops in the past 30 years.
    The battery drain happened day 1 since I bought it new. Since I used it so little, I always tried to do some short google research to figure it out.

    I think in the end if there is nothing obvious to do with Windows 10, maybe I will be lucky and it will fix some issues when I format my computer and install my own Win 10. Everything on this computer is how it came from the factory, so who knows what kinks this Win 10 OEM has.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #20

    Hi messerschmittt,

    sorry for the late reply. My GF has had a very bad reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine and the past month has been very busy with hospital visits.

    I have made an interesting discovery with the battery issue on my MSI GP-72. I've started keeping records of the state of charge (SOC) at the end of the night with the type of shutdown used, and then the SOC the next time I use the PC.

    Whenever I've used sleep recently, the discharge rate has been unusually significant, 40-50% drop overnight or ~12 hours later.

    Yesterday at 11:30 I performed a full shutdown, when I started the PC again just over 11 hours later, the SOC had decayed by 40%.

    That evening I charged it up to about 91% and used a command line to log off & shutdown. The next start today after about 7 hours, the SOC has decayed by only 2%. That's more like the value I've come to expect.

    Could you please perform the following test and record SOC before and after the next start? Include shutdown & start times/dates with the before & after SOC.


    Charge the battery to between 80 & 95%, record details, save & close all open apps and from an elevated Command Prompt, enter the following or copy & paste;

    Code:
    shutdown /s /f / t 0

    On your next restart, record time/date and SOC. Then update this thread with your results. I'm going to spend time (when I have it) to investigate further.


    I updated the command line arguments to be current with the procedure I'm now using.
    Last edited by W10 Tweaker; 21 May 2021 at 09:10.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums