How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 737
    Windows 10 x64 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Matthew Wai said:
    For testing only, run the following line of commands via an elevated Command Prompt after creating the Testing key:

    Code:
    Echo \Registry\machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Testing [0]>"%Temp%\T.txt" & REGINI "%Temp%\T.txt"

    See whether you can write into the Testing key.
    Testing key after running the cmd
    How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?-image.png

    How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?-image.png

    question is how to return it to default/normal if it were modified in order to (apparently?) remove all write permissions from the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers key?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,200
    Windows 11 Home
       #12

    klepp0906 said:
    Do I Convert or Remove?
    Remove to start clean.

    klepp0906 said:
    Also what would I do to reverse the process/put it back to the way it was as far as those converted or removed inheritance options go?
    Enabling Inheritance will restore it back to default.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7,484
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #13

    klepp0906 said:
    question is how to return it to default/normal if it were modified in order to (apparently?) remove all write permissions from the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers key?
    Regain the permissions:

    Echo \Registry\machine\HARDWARE\Testing [1 19]>"%Temp%\T.txt" & REGINI "%Temp%\T.txt"


    BTW, thanks for the rep!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 737
    Windows 10 x64 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Matthew Wai said:
    Regain the permissions:

    Echo \Registry\machine\HARDWARE\Testing [1 19]>"%Temp%\T.txt" & REGINI "%Temp%\T.txt"


    BTW, thanks for the rep!
    unfortunately that didnt seem to restore permissions, at least not to the Testing key.

    How to prevent writing to a specific registry key?-image.png
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7,484
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #15

    klepp0906 said:
    unfortunately that didnt seem to restore permissions, at least not to the Testing key.
    Sorry, the path was wrong in the previous one. The following one should work.

    Code:
    Echo \Registry\machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Testing [1 19]>"%Temp%\T.txt" & REGINI "%Temp%\T.txt"
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 737
    Windows 10 x64 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Matthew Wai said:
    Sorry, the path was wrong in the previous one. The following one should work.

    Code:
    Echo \Registry\machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Testing [1 19]>"%Temp%\T.txt" & REGINI "%Temp%\T.txt"
    oof, i should have checked the path. Checked the key name but that was it. That time it worked fine, thank you again. Will make some batch files and add that to my kit for ease of use and/or reference :)

    Is there any way to combine those into a single batch that would remove/add permissions or will I need two separate?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 7,484
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #17

    Any commands can be combined into a single batch script. You just have to add options into the script like the one below:



    Reference: Add or Remove Personalize Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 737
    Windows 10 x64 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Matthew Wai said:
    Any commands can be combined into a single batch script. You just have to add options into the script like the one below:



    Reference: Add or Remove Personalize Desktop Context Menu in Windows 10
    perfect, learning how to do this will go a long way. I cant tell you how many separate batch files that I have that I could use to combine :)

    Thanks again! Will mark this as solved now considering I have a few options at my disposal and its likely as good as its gonna get from a user standpoint.

    Appreciate everyone who contributed <3
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 16,139
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #19

    klepp0906 said:
    Thanks again! Will mark this as solved now considering I have a few options at my disposal and its likely as good as its gonna get from a user standpoint.

    Appreciate everyone who contributed.
    You are VERY welcome.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 7,484
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #20

    klepp0906 said:
    I cant tell you how many separate batch files that I have that I could use to combine :)
    I can tell you that even PowerShell can be combined into a batch file, for example, Restart-Time.bat.

    It actually uses PowerShell to measure the restart time.

    Reference: Restart Time - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums