Copying file compresses it


  1. Posts : 93
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Copying file compresses it


    I'm copying some jpg photo files from one folder to another on the same drive and instead of just copying it the system compresses it first then copies. Of course, it's now altered from the original file. What causes this behavior and can I stop it from happening? Thanks.

    Win 10 Home 20H2 build 19042.928
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,607
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #2

    larrydonline said:
    I'm copying some jpg photo files from one folder to another on the same drive and instead of just copying it the system compresses it first then copies. Of course, it's now altered from the original file. What causes this behavior and can I stop it from happening? Thanks.

    Win 10 Home 20H2 build 19042.928



    I'm not sure "how" you're copying those files... but I just copied 10 .jpg files, from one folder, (taken with my Canon DSLR), and pasted them in another folder on the same drive. I don't see any compression at all.


    I also don't see any changes to those images, when opened in an editor.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 93
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I copied by dragging the file from one folder to another. Windows says "compressing file" as it proceeds to copy it. There's certainly no need to compress to save space as there's more than 900 GB available on the drive.

    I've never seen it happen before but then I can't remember the last time I copied photos from one folder to another.

    The problem with the changes made by compressing is that the option to rename the file isn't available.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,607
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #4

    larrydonline said:
    I copied by dragging the file from one folder to another. Windows says "compressing file" as it proceeds to copy it. There's certainly no need to compress to save space as there's more than 900 GB available on the drive.

    I've never seen it happen before but then I can't remember the last time I copied photos from one folder to another.

    The problem with the changes made by compressing is that the option to rename the file isn't available.


    I always use copy/paste. Then delete the source if I don't want it anymore.
    You have something else going on though. I just tried drag/drop and again... no compression.

    Are you using something other than the normal File Explorer?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 93
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    I found the problem. I was copying to an archived file (zip) without realizing it. Thanks for the help.
    Larry
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,607
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #6

    larrydonline said:
    I found the problem. I was copying to an archived file (zip) without realizing it. Thanks for the help.
    Larry


    That would do it. I thought maybe you had the entire drive compressed.


    Good job...
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums