Surge Protector Recommendations

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,097
    Windows 10
       #1

    Surge Protector Recommendations


    Anyone have good recommendation for surge protector? Looking at amazon and there are tons of them... but i notice in many of these great reviews... lot of top comments seem to say negative about it.


    Don't want to spend a ton on one like 50+ dollars etc. I notice many that are 20 dollars and under... are those fine? I know joules is what you need to look at. The current one im using has 600 joules and work good but im using one that I bought outside the US which im at right now.


    Like to get a good recommended one in the US on amazon/best buy etc when I use it in the US.
      My Computer

  2. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 9,912
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19043.985 (x64) [21H1]
       #2

    paulyjustin said:
    Anyone have good recommendation for surge protector? Looking at amazon and there are tons of them... but i notice in many of these great reviews... lot of top comments seem to say negative about it.


    Don't want to spend a ton on one like 50+ dollars etc. I notice many that are 20 dollars and under... are those fine? I know joules is what you need to look at. The current one im using has 600 joules and work good but im using one that I bought outside the US which im at right now.


    Like to get a good recommended one in the US on amazon/best buy etc when I use it in the US.


    If you are talking about plug strips that are also surge protectors... Tripplite
    ...and the top of the line Tripplite are the Isobar surge protectors.

    Amazon.com

    https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/3...4&ref_=ast_bln

    ISOBAR: Amazon.com



    What Are Surge Protector Joules and How Many Do I Need?



    /edit

    ALL Tripplite surge protectors are good.




    I saw your mention of prices. If it were me, I would get this one for a fully loaded desktop...

    https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Pr...jaz10cnVl&th=1
      My Computer

  3. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,485
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 (19042.928)
       #3

    paulyjustin said:
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=arial]Anyone have good recommendation for surge protector? Looking at amazon and there are tons of them...
    FYI... Surge Protectors vs. UPS: Do You Really Need a Battery Backup for Your PC?

    BTW, always take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt. Many people post simply from lack of understanding or unrealistic expectations. And I'm not necessarily dishing on Amazon as I have many reviews there myself. I'm simply saying not all are legitimate. Or even relevant.

    Anyway, I post the FYI info above to you know what's what in making a decision. I myself us a UPS but the one I have is way above your posted budget, so it's probably something you wouldn't be interested in. However, there are less costlier UPS options.

    Good luck
      My Computers

  4. MisterEd's Avatar
    Posts : 591
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v20H2
       #4

    I have a number of Tripplite power strips myself. They have an indicator to verify active protection. Cheaper power strips probably don't have this. I assume a power strip can have its surge protection stop working after a big surge but the power strip itself still works. Does this seem reasonable? If so are there a lot of people out there with a false sense of security? In other words does having an active protection indicator a plus for power strip?
      My Computers

  5. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 3,930
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2
       #5

    Surge Protectors are Surge protectors, a Power strip is a Power strip.

    Never plug your PC into a Power strip.

    Unless it`s connected to a Surge Protector

    I use Trtipp-Lites along with Steren surge protectors.
      My Computers

  6. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 9,912
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19043.985 (x64) [21H1]
       #6

    MisterEd said:
    I have a number of Tripplite power strips myself. They have an indicator to verify active protection. Cheaper power strips probably don't have this. I assume a power strip can have its surge protection stop working after a big surge but the power strip itself still works. Does this seem reasonable? If so are there a lot of people out there with a false sense of security? In other words does having an active protection indicator a plus for power strip?


    Yep. Tripplite has been around for 100 years. Very well known company that makes very good products.


    Well, 99 years. They started in 1922.
    Last edited by Ghot; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:33.
      My Computer

  7. ignatzatsonic's Avatar
    Posts : 2,492
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #7

    I pity the fool who ever tries to collect for equipment damages under the warranty terms of a surge protector.

    There are millions of words spilled all over the Internet about these things.

    Few minds, if any, have been changed.

    As I understand it:

    Buy as high a joules rating as you can afford.

    If you just can't help yourself, pay attention to the clamping voltage.

    Engage in as much self-congratulation as possible about all the care you took in making the proper selection.

    Keep telling yourself it was money well spent even though you'll likely never know if it did you any good.

    I've got 2 of them. Tripplite 3345 joules and CyberPower 2850 joules. 30 bucks and 14 bucks on sale, respectively.

    I'm ecstatic. Just beside myself with joy.
      My Computer

  8. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,789
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #8

    AddRAM said:
    Surge Protectors are Surge protectors, a Power strip is a Power strip.
    I have power strips with built-in surge protection. I don't understand why you say that you cannot have both together.

    Mine are made by MasterPlug [part of Luceco] and have a 3 year £1,000 connected-equipment guarantee.
    - I bought them from Amazon [UK] who honour manufacturers' guarantees if a manufacturer ever tries to evade responsibility.


    Denis
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 163
    Win10 Pro
       #9

    If we had 1 choice and one choice only, would it be a decent SP or a decent UPS?

    Think I'd go for the UPS.
    Last edited by Jaylob4; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:32.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,302
    X
       #10

    I plug directly into the wall. But if there are lots of things plugged in I use a cheap power strip. In 25 years I've not had any surge-induced failures.

    Surge protectors are a scam. If you in a location where the power is especially "dirty", don't fix your outlet with a snake-oil surge protector. Fix the house instead.

    But most of us need neither. The civilized world has better power supplies. And products are tolerant of what surges we get.

    Keep in mind that consumer surge protectors are products built around fear, uncertainty, and doubt. That's why they lure suckers in with their million dollar guarantees. (How could anyone collect on such a warranty? It's a sham.)

    I have no fear, nor any uncertainty, nor any doubt. I don't need them. I don't use them.

    Now ... the OP, pauli, claimed two years ago that he lives in a location where power outages are frequent. He tied up a thread on the board for a year before deciding which power conditioner to use. He met every suggestion with questions. He replied to every answer with more questions. So this thread might be just another fruitless pursuit.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums