A required privilege is not held by the client // help please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 10.0.19043 (Build 19043) 07aug2021
       #1

    A required privilege is not held by the client // help please


    My problem: A required privilege is not held by the client shows up when I try to run any executable file. I am the only administrator on all household PC's. I have at least five Windows 10 PC's in the household.

    For a couple of months I had my problem on only one desktop PC (v1909) which I have dealt with by using Safe Mode when I absolutely had to do so. As of today I can add one laptop (v2004) to my list with this problem. I read the one post that I could find and I tried the suggestion today on both of the problem PC's to no avail. (Tweaking.com's cautious repair tool, observing the cautious steps, and apply only the relevant fixes for permissions.) I have at least one other PC with v2004 and no privilege problem and at least one other PC with v1909 and no privilege problem.

    Previously I had tried these six methods:
    1. Run the Program as Administrator
    2. Use Command Prompt to run the file
    3. Disable The Admin Approval Mode
    4. Disable UAC using Registry Editor
    5. Change Sharing Permission
    6. Take ownership of the Root Drive

    Thank you for any new suggestions or known fixes . . . .
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 26,993
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #2

    Do you run multiple anti virus or anti malware programs?

    What is the list of newly installed software (since the problem begun)?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 5,097
    21H1 64 Bit Home
       #3

    yrralrellim said:
    I read the one post that I could find and I tried the suggestion today on both of the problem PC's to no avail. (Tweaking.com's cautious repair tool, observing the cautious steps, and apply only the relevant fixes for permissions.)
    I tried that in the past and it totally screwed up permissions especially on regedit.

    yrralrellim said:
    Previously I had tried:
    6. Take ownership of the Root Drive
    If you did that then the fix is to reinstall windows.

    Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10

    Note   Note
    The Take Ownership context menu will not be available when you right click or press and hold only on the specific C: drive, C:\Program Files folder, C:\Program Files (x86) folder, C:\ProgramData folder, C:\Users folder, and C:\Windows folder. This was done by design since taking ownership of the Windows "C:" drive and these specific system folders can make Windows unstable as it would also take ownership of all their content at the same time
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 10.0.19043 (Build 19043) 07aug2021
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Thank you, thank you!


    Yes I run Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarebytes AntiMalware. (Those same programs are also on all of my other PC's which do not have any permission problems.) The list of newly installed software is empty -- none installed on the laptop which just recently gave me the problem message. The desktop has had the problem for at least several weeks so I won't try to make a list.

    The desktop is no doubt due for a Windows re-install as Callender pointed out. I guess I was hoping for a magic wand solution but instead I will have to just bite the bullet.

    Thanks again to both of you for responding!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 26,993
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #5

    yrralrellim said:
    Yes I run Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarebytes AntiMalware. (Those same programs are also on all of my other PC's which do not have any permission problems.) The list of newly installed software is empty -- none installed on the laptop which just recently gave me the problem message. The desktop has had the problem for at least several weeks so I won't try to make a list.

    The desktop is no doubt due for a Windows re-install as Callender pointed out. I guess I was hoping for a magic wand solution but instead I will have to just bite the bullet.

    Thanks again to both of you for responding!
    Try In-place repair install first. Of course, if you don't mind some work, clean install is fine

    In-place repair could fix that, but not 100%. On the positive side, only takes about 20 mins, and all programs are left intact

    It is not a good idea to run multiple anti virus / malware programs at the same time. Speaking of real time versions..
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 10.0.19043 (Build 19043) 07aug2021
    Thread Starter
       #6

    An in-place repair install sounds like a great idea, especially because of retaining apps, programs, and personal data. I was not familiar with that method but I will give it a try and see what develops. I'll report back and post my results.

    Thank you!

    - - - Updated - - -

    My thanks to you who have tried to help! The in-place repair install went well but to my dismay, the permission problem still exists. I will first try to redo my previous steps [except I will skip the Tweaking.com repair] before I give-in to reinstall windows. I will mark this thread as solved.

    Again, kudos to Callender
    and AndreTen!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 26,993
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #7

    yrralrellim said:
    An in-place repair install sounds like a great idea, especially because of retaining apps, programs, and personal data. I was not familiar with that method but I will give it a try and see what develops. I'll report back and post my results.

    Thank you!

    - - - Updated - - -

    My thanks to you who have tried to help! The in-place repair install went well but to my dismay, the permission problem still exists. I will first try to redo my previous steps [except I will skip the Tweaking.com repair] before I give-in to reinstall windows. I will mark this thread as solved.

    Again, kudos to Callender
    and AndreTen!
    Sorry it didn't work. Don't think it's solved...

    Check if any security policy is changed in Local Group policy. One thing that isn't fixed with In-place repair are group policies.

    Open Group policy, and navigate to all Administrative templates - All settings. Open this and sort by setting to check if anything is changed. Do it for both, Computer and User
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 10.0.19043 (Build 19043) 07aug2021
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Thank you. I definitely will try your Group Policies suggestion. I will do most anything reasonable to avoid a Windows reinstall where I will lose my Programs which must then be reinstalled.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I am stymied in gpedit . . . . I have attempted to check the computer and the user but I am totally lost. I readily admit that I am simply not knowledgeable enough to know which settings to check. Am I looking for just a few serttings or many settings.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 26,993
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #9

    Check policies in the picture below. Beside that, check applocker, and security options in Local policy - anything suspicious

    Update. you can reset all policies to default by deleting folders with these settings.:

    Tutorial by Brink: tutorials reset-local-group-policy-editor-settings-default-windows-10

    Read more at Minitool

    A required privilege is not held by the client // help please-image.png

    A required privilege is not held by the client // help please-image.png
    Last edited by AndreTen; 15 Apr 2021 at 08:02.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 61
    Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 10.0.19043 (Build 19043) 07aug2021
    Thread Starter
       #10

    I have no idea what changed but now I cannot run any exe files rather than just a few exe's that would not run.. When I try to open the file explorer, windows "says" cannot find explorer.exe [even when I browse to the actual C:\Windows\Explorer.exe file. As you can see, this is uncharted territory for me. I did not change anything that I am aware of.

    In Computer section, these are the only thee entries that have other than "not configured".
    Attachment 327656

    In User section, these three UAC entries are enabled so they may not be as they should:
    Attachment 327657

    AppLocker is blank - it looks exactly as your photo.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Thank you for your patience!! On top of the existing PC problems, I just experienced a very brief power interruption at my residence. To go back in time when I could execute most files, currently I am restoring the problem desktop PC to the windows image created today at 2 a.m.

    When that image is complete, I'll see where I stand and then check back here.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Image restore was successful. I am now back to just a certain few exe files that will not open -- pop-up is as at the beginning, "a required privilege is not held by the client".

    Since my "non-runable" exe files deal with disabling items such as the Edge browser and Windows Updates, is it possible that a Microsoft update has addressed these types of issues and possibly installed an update that is affecting the operations. I only am aware now of two exe files that will not run (Wub_x64.exe & Privatezilla.exe). A very similar tweaking file (OOSU10.exe) runs as expected.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums