What is the proper way to close unresponsive processes?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,120
    Win 11 x 64 Home. Pro x 64 on Surface.
       #31

    Jaylob4 said:
    Erm, what happened to using, Ctrl+Alt+Delete to shut a process?
    thats what I said - 'three finger'
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 165
    Win10 Pro
       #32

    elbmek said:
    thats what I said - 'three finger'
    Sorry mate, you did.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 541
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 19042.1415
    Thread Starter
       #33

    LMiller7 said:
    The Windows function used to terminate a process is "TerminateProcess" which ultimately calls the native function "NtTerminateProcess"...............
    That's a great answer, unfortunately no solution! Freezes happen to me a lot, there are some games which are more buggy and freeze more often. It is happening from time to time. SFC/DISM musn't necessarily repair anything and it is annoying to restore from backup every time something like this happens. Unfortunantely process won't respond to graceful termination, when it is frozen But taskkill is still better than hardrestart

    Matthew Wai said:
    Yes, forcefully.

    Because I suspect something is wrong with your Windows. Something causes the freezing.
    No it is not. It is maybe not happening to you as often if you don't play PC games. Consistently this have been happening since Windows XP on multiple computers. Sometimes if you alt-tab, or if you alt-tab back. Game freezes and you can't bring up even task manager on top, even log out/log in doesn't work. Nothing works! Games freeze sometimes, this is pretty common. So can we please move on to the point?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 7,456
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #34

    Code:
    Powercfg -SetACvalueIndex SCHEME_CURRENT 4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347 7648efa3-dd9c-4e3e-b566-50f929386280 "1"
    The above will set "Power button settings" to "Sleep".
    When I press the power button, Windows will go to sleep.
    Can you do the same when Windows has frozen?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,120
    Win 11 x 64 Home. Pro x 64 on Surface.
       #35

    when I right click on desktop I get this: see top command (I think it may be from 'winaerotweak')

    What is the proper way to close unresponsive processes?-taskkill.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 56,050
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #36

    @empleat

    Just a thought..... you have said several times the system will freeze while playing games, more likely to when gaming. Since gaming is graphics intensive, and getting more so, there may be a possibility the freeze is occurring do to your GPU card. A possibility.

    Next time this happens, try the standard GPU reboot key sequence. It works for any and all GPUs.

    Win+Ctrl+Shift+B

    You'll hear a beep, screen goes blank, then comes back up. This is GPU reboot only, not system.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 541
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 19042.1415
    Thread Starter
       #37

    Matthew Wai said:
    Code:
    Powercfg -SetACvalueIndex 
    SCHEME_CURRENT 4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347 
    7648efa3-dd9c-4e3e-b566-50f929386280 "1"
    The above will set "Power button settings" to "Sleep".

    When I press the power button, Windows will go to sleep.

    Can you do the same when Windows has frozen?
    Sometimes I can press ctrl+shift+del, other times even that doesn't work - literally everything is frozen! No idea how putting computer to sleep would close frozen application, or help unfroze it!!! But can try.

    f14tomcat said:
    @empleat



    Just a thought..... you have said several times the system will freeze while playing games, more likely to when gaming. Since gaming is graphics intensive, and getting more so, there may be a possibility the freeze is occurring do to your GPU card. A possibility.



    Next time this happens, try the standard GPU reboot key sequence. It works for any and all GPUs.



    Win+Ctrl+Shift+B



    You'll hear a beep, screen goes blank, then comes back up. This is GPU reboot only, not system.
    Not several times! I said: that it happening a lot and from time to time. Don't even remember when it frozen last during gaming. It freezes in 99% cases on alt tab! Interesting had no idea, that you can do that. I will try next time to do this instead of taskkill and see if it helps or not!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 56,050
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #38

    empleat said:
    Sometimes I can press ctrl+shift+del, other times even that doesn't work - literally everything is frozen! No idea how putting computer to sleep would close frozen application, or help unfroze it!!! But can try.


    Not several times! I said: that it happening a lot and from time to time. Don't even remember when it frozen last during gaming. It freezes in 99% cases on alt tab! Interesting had no idea, that you can do that. I will try next time to do this instead of taskkill and see if it helps or not!
    You can do it right now, just to see what it does.

    How to restart your graphics driver instantly with a key combination
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 15,985
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #39

    Hello @elbmek,

    elbmek said:
    when I right click on desktop I get this: see top command (I think it may be from 'winaerotweak')

    What is the proper way to close unresponsive processes?-taskkill.png

    If it is, and you want to remove it, use this in a REG file, but check the Registry Key FIRST . . .

    Code:
    
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\KillNotResponding]

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,120
    Win 11 x 64 Home. Pro x 64 on Surface.
       #40

    I just tried to shut down for the night, it refused, so I checked task manager and found these processes blocking it. What is it, never noticed these before?

    Edit: I have found out what it is, its not bad. For a long time now my pc has been number crunching for BOINC; this is that scientific process, (I used to use SETI) but its not supposed to be running whilst pc is 'busy' - so I will need to check settings.

    What is the proper way to close unresponsive processes?-taskkill1.png
    Last edited by elbmek; 16 Apr 2021 at 07:52.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums