Can't do shortcut--Disk full?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. spunk's Avatar
    Posts : 2,834
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit 20H2
       #11

    You cannot create shortcuts to an .exe file under C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files (x86) you can save a shortcut to your Desktop.
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,836
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #12

    As I understand it the target for creating the shortcut is the desktop, exactly as you said.
    Told it can't be done here, but can go onto the desktop, click OK. And, that's when I get the message that the disk is full.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 252
    windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #13

    spunk said:
    You cannot create shortcuts to an .exe file under C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files (x86) you can save a shortcut to your Desktop.
    Yes, that's true and it is where the problem arises. Forever I have been making shortcuts there, and then being told that a shortcut can't be made there, but it can be sent to the desktop...to which, I say OK. The shortcut now appears on the desktop. The present problem is that instead of being told that the shortcut is going to the desktop, I am being told a shortcut can't be meade due to a full disk????
      My Computer

  4. Pejole2165's Avatar
    Posts : 745
    Windows 10 Pro 1909
       #14

    Is this a private PC or a works PC?
    Are there any disk quotas in play here?
    Try the following two methods and report back any success / failure and any error messages received.
    Method one : If you open a window to your app (the one you want to create a shortcut for) and right-click, hold and drag to the Desktop you should get a menu to "move, copy, create shortcut here", can you make the shortcut this way?
    Method two : Can you right-click the desktop, choose "new shortcut" and browse to the app you want the shortcut to point to?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 252
    windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #15

    Pejole2165 said:
    Is this a private PC or a works PC?
    Are there any disk quotas in play here?
    Try the following two methods and report back any success / failure and any error messages received.
    Method one : If you open a window to your app (the one you want to create a shortcut for) and right-click, hold and drag to the Desktop you should get a menu to "move, copy, create shortcut here", can you make the shortcut this way?
    Method two : Can you right-click the desktop, choose "new shortcut" and browse to the app you want the shortcut to point to?
    This is a private PC, and as far as I know, there are no disk quotas. Perhaps you could tell just where I find the quota info?

    Neither worked. For method 1, absolutely nothing happened. For method 2, "Paste Shortcut" was greyed out.
      My Computer

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,614
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #16

    flycaster said:
    Neither worked. ... For method 2, "Paste Shortcut" was greyed out.
    The instructions were to choose New shortcut, not paste shortcut.

    Can't do shortcut--Disk full?-image.png
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 252
    windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Bree said:
    The instructions were to choose New shortcut, not paste shortcut.

    Can't do shortcut--Disk full?-image.png

    New only gives me Folder. Nothing about "new shortcut"
      My Computer

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,614
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #18

    flycaster said:
    New only gives me Folder. Nothing about "new shortcut"

    Were you right-clicking on your Desktop? It should work there.

    'New' should only be limited to just 'Folder' when you right-click in restricted folders such as the root of the C:\ drive or in 'C:\Program Files'.
      My Computers

  9. Pejole2165's Avatar
    Posts : 745
    Windows 10 Pro 1909
       #19

    You can find the quota information by right-clicking a drive in the This PC (My Computer) on the desktop and choosing properties, quota page. Not sure if it is available on Windows Home though, but unless you have set a quota there should not be any regardless, I was asking just in case this was a works PC that might be shared between employees.
    Assuming you tried to create the shortcut the ways I suggested and still no joy and if you have missing options in your context menu then I can only think that either your registry has been altered or is corrupted or certain permissions have been altered to prevent certain actions.
    Try running SFC / Scannow from an admin command prompt (find command in the Windows system folder on the start menu, right-click and run as admin).
    Once SFC has finished try creating the shortcut again by finding an app or file, right-click, hold, drag to the Desktop and see if you have the "create shortcut here" menu option.
    If that fails again we may have to investigate your Windows Defender settings next.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 252
    windows 10 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #20

    Bree said:
    Were you right-clicking on your Desktop? It should work there.

    'New' should only be limited to just 'Folder' when you right-click in restricted folders such as the root of the C:\ drive or in 'C:\Program Files'.
    Yes, I was assuredly right clicking on the desktop and only Folder was available when selecting New. There was nothing else other than Folder after choosing New.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums