wake from sleep but not hibernation

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 7,522
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #21

    apb said:
    The only thing I can think of is that I had been using the machine on battery for some time prior to the wake time, and the machine was put into hibernation while on battery, and only plugged in afterwards. So, maybe what happens is that in order to avoid waking the machine at all, the wake timer is turned off whenever the machine is on battery, and if it hibernates in that state, thus it sits even if later plugged in, until later awakened manually (or by a task that says it's ok to wake if on battery).
    An interesting observation.
    - I've just tested on mine and it behaved itself [power removed, hibernated, power reconnected - it woke up correctly].
    But I did also observe one unexpected behaviour - the laptop's display did not turn on until I moved my mouse. So that's one more item on the list of things to investigate in the fullness of time.
    I repeated this using sleep instead of hibernate and the result was the same.
    I've seen people reporting this lately but have never noticed it myself before. I've probably been grabbing the mouse ready to do something so not noticed the screen waiting for that until it came on.

    Denis
      My Computer

  2. Technewbie's Avatar
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.867
       #22

    Try3 said:
    But I did also observe one unexpected behaviour - the laptop's display did not turn on until I moved my mouse. So that's one more item on the list of things to investigate in the fullness of time.
    I repeated this using sleep instead of hibernate and the result was the same.
    I've seen people reporting this lately but have never noticed it myself before.
    I encountered this when experimenting with the task scheduler too. My display was not turned on sometimes when i took too long like 10+ minutes(which is the time set for display to go to sleep) in both sleep & hibernate. I brushed this off as the default behavior for tasks to wake up the pc or my power setting "balanced".
    -Just to add another to the list, even tho I manually wake up the pc powercfg -lastwake shows the reason as the failed task which couldn't wake it:
    Code:
    C:\Users\srive>powercfg -lastwake
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
      Wake Source Count - 1
      Wake Source [0]
        Type: Device
        Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15BC&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_10\3&11583659&0&FE
        Friendly Name: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
        Description: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
        Manufacturer: Intel
    Last edited by Technewbie; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:32.
      My Computer


  3. apb
    Posts : 61
    win 7 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #23

    I haven't checked whether the display turns on on return from hibernate because the laptop is always closed when hibernating, and opening it always causes the screen to come on, as expected.

    However, my guess is that the observed behavior is probably a feature. What I have noticed in win 7 is that whenever my always plugged in desktop pc comes out of sleep to run a task manager task, it turns the display on, even if no user activity for many hours. It's very annoying, a waste of power, and wears out the monitors. Maybe MS realized there is no point turning on the display if there is no user to look at it.

    --peter
      My Computers

  4. Technewbie's Avatar
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.867
       #24

    apb said:
    Any ideas on that?

    Meanwhile, I did run some tests on a simple task, and everything worked as expected, EXCEPT the start if missed feature seemed to not work when checked sometimes, and occur when not checked sometimes. I will have to see if I can repeat the unexpected behavior.
    I think you probably did, but just to confirm, did you 'enable' 'Allow wake timers' in power settings? some companies like hp tend to disable this by defualt to save power in laptops

    - - - Updated - - -

    apb said:
    However, my guess is that the observed behavior is probably a feature. What I have noticed in win 7 is that whenever my always plugged in desktop pc comes out of sleep to run a task manager task, it turns the display on, even if no user activity for many hours. It's very annoying, a waste of power, and wears out the monitors. Maybe MS realized there is no point turning on the display if there is no user to look at it.
    --peter
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. Sorry I forgot to link this ->
    Wake the computer to run this task not working

    see the last comment about connected standby & the ms thread he shared, I don't know much about modern standby ;~;, hope that link helps you c:
      My Computer


  5. apb
    Posts : 61
    win 7 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #25

    Technewbie said:
    I think you probably did, but just to confirm, did you 'enable' 'Allow wake timers' in power settings? some companies like hp tend to disable this by defualt to save power in laptops
    As I mentioned in my previous*2 post, ""powercfg -waketimers" indicates that the expected wake timer is indeed set." So, I didn't need to turn the wake timers on.
      My Computers

  6. Technewbie's Avatar
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.867
       #26

    apb said:
    As I mentioned in my previous*2 post, ""powercfg -waketimers" indicates that the expected wake timer is indeed set." So, I didn't need to turn the wake timers on.
    I think you got the wrong idea about turning on wake timers, just to be sure I tested a scheduled task by disabling & then re-enabling the "Allow wake timers" in power settings. As I initially thought, that option was meant to deactivate all custom wake timers when disabled.

    My powercfg -waketimers when it was disabled:

    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -waketimers
    Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume6\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe expires at 4:00:00 AM on ꀀ빰♫.
    
    Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume6\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 12:14:31 PM on 3/30/2021.
      Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Scheduled Task' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.
    My powercfg -waketimers when it was enabled:

    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -waketimers
    Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume6\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe expires at 4:00:00 AM on 倀䚿2.
    
    Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume6\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 12:19:31 PM on 3/30/2021.
      Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Scheduled Task' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.
    
    C:\Windows\system32>
    As you can see the powercfg -waketimers reported the scheduled task in both cases but failed to wake up when it was disabled, I'm pretty sure this is why your task didn't wake up the pc from hibernation :D
    Last edited by Technewbie; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:51.
      My Computer


  7. apb
    Posts : 61
    win 7 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #27

    You're right that "powercfg -waketimers" is not affected by the "allow wake timers" setting. Thanks for educating me on that.

    However, that is not the source of my problem.

    That setting in advanced power settings is disabled on my machine by default, so I enabled it (easier than digging through the registry each time). It shows that wake timers are enabled on AC power, and disabled on battery power.

    Since the computer was on AC power when it was supposed to wake, the issue is not what that setting is set to, but rather what the machine does if it has been hibernated under battery, then plugged in.

    Today, because I had hibernated the machine while it was plugged in, the desired task ran correctly at the appointed hour, without my changing anything about wake timers.

    My conclusion is that while the machine is on battery power, wake timers are disabled. To change that state, apparently the machine has to be running in a more active state than hibernation. Since that did not occur, the wake timers stayed disabled even though the machine was on AC power at the scheduled time.

    --peter
      My Computers

  8. Technewbie's Avatar
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.867
       #28

    apb said:
    However, that is not the source of my problem.

    That setting in advanced power settings is disabled on my machine by default, so I enabled it (easier than digging through the registry each time). It shows that wake timers are enabled on AC power, and disabled on battery power.
    No problem :D. I assume you did not enable wake timers while "on battery" before hibernating.

    apb said:
    Since the computer was on AC power when it was supposed to wake, the issue is not what that setting is set to, but rather what the machine does if it has been hibernated under battery, then plugged in.

    Today, because I had hibernated the machine while it was plugged in, the desired task ran correctly at the appointed hour, without my changing anything about wake timers.

    My conclusion is that while the machine is on battery power, wake timers are disabled. To change that state, apparently the machine has to be running in a more active state than hibernation. Since that did not occur, the wake timers stayed disabled even though the machine was on AC power at the scheduled time.
    --peter[/COLOR]
    If this was s3 sleep then it I guess this would be the expected behavior as you did not enable wake timers "on battery" and when you put the pc to sleep/hibernation then windows will probably detect that you were on battery power and that that wake timers are not allowed in battery mode before going into sleep, as s3 sleep is just "sleep" with no cpu so it had no way of knowing that now your connected to ac power when it is either in sleep/hibernate and follows the options you setup before you put the pc to sleep/hibernate.

    Sorry, I don't know how modern standby works but #21 suggests that denis had either enabled wake timers on battery, if not this is the expected behavior like you concluded :o.
      My Computer

  9. Megahertz's Avatar
    Posts : 2,446
    Windows 7 HP 64 - Windows 10 Pro - Lubuntu
       #29

    Try3 said:
    apb,

    Task scheduler can wake the computer from hibernation just as well as it can wake the computer from sleep if mains power is available.

    Denis
    Denis, how can it be possible to Task scheduler ( a OS service) wake up a computer that is off (No OS running or in memory) ?
      My Computers

  10. Technewbie's Avatar
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.867
       #30

    Megahertz said:
    Denis, how can it be possible to Task scheduler ( a OS service) wake up a computer that is off (No OS running or in memory) ?
    I tested this but I was surprised as well lol, I want to know the process too :O, does it work the same way like a scheduled shutdown /s /t xx command work?
      My Computer


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums