Windows 10: Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD Solved

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    19 Aug 2015 #1

    Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD


    Hi
    My problem is that I can't access UEFI Firmware settings or Boot from USB/DVD in the Advanced startup.
    They are missing. What can I do? I want to go back to windows 8.1 (Don't have windows.old folder), but it gives me an error when I install it when windows is running. That's why I want to boot from DVD, but I can't.
    Help?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    19 Aug 2015 #2

    Famazed said: View Post
    Hi
    My problem is that I can't access UEFI Firmware settings or Boot from USB/DVD in the Advanced startup.
    They are missing. What can I do? I want to go back to windows 8.1 (Don't have windows.old folder), but it gives me an error when I install it when windows is running. That's why I want to boot from DVD, but I can't.
    Help?
    Access to BIOS - HP Support Forum - 1504303
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    19 Aug 2015 #3

    By RTC Cell he means just the normal battery? And what does it even do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    19 Aug 2015 #4

    Famazed said: View Post
    By RTC Cell he means just the normal battery? And what does it even do?
    It will reset your Bios so that fast boot is not enabled and it should then allow you to see the the press X key for setup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    19 Aug 2015 #5

    Just unplug your computer while it's running and it should now show the bios when rebooted for the first time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       19 Aug 2015 #6

    socklosk said: View Post
    Just unplug your computer while it's running and it should now show the bios when rebooted for the first time.
    Although unlikely, this method could directly cause damage or failure of hardware components. Much better to use a method that does not have that potential for damage
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    19 Aug 2015 #7

    Bazz said: View Post
    It will reset your Bios so that fast boot is not enabled and it should then allow you to see the the press X key for setup.
    Like resets the BIOS settings etc? It doesn't rollback to the default BIOS? By that I mean to the BIOS that the PC had when I bought it. The BIOS was updated like a year ago and I don't want to do it myself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       19 Aug 2015 #8

    Famazed said: View Post
    Like resets the BIOS settings etc? It doesn't rollback to the default BIOS? By that I mean to the BIOS that the PC had when I bought it. The BIOS was updated like a year ago and I don't want to do it myself.
    No. Removing the battery will NOT roll back the bios version. The update is permanent. Removing the battery will merely return the bios to it's default state for the CURRENTLY installed bios version. Nothing to worry about
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1
    xp,win 7, win 8.1 ,win 10
       19 Aug 2015 #9

    This worked for me.

    Note: Some system SBIOS's incorporate a feature called compatibility boot. These systems will detect a non-UEFI-enabled firmware VBIOS and allow the user to disable secure boot and then proceed with a compatibility boot. If the system contains a system SBIOS the supports compatibility boot, the user will need to disable secure boot when asked during boot process
    Instructions for manually disabling secure boot:
    1) Power down the system
    2) Remove the NVIDIA Add-in card
    3) Boot the system using integrated graphics
    4) Enter CMOS settings. CMOS settings can usually be accessed during boot, typically by pressing one of F1, F2, F8, F12, or Delete (depends on the system firmware) Alternatively they can be accessed in Windows 8 as follows: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...ws-8-computer/
    5) Set Secure Boot to disabled
    6) If there is an option, set CSM (or compatibility or legacy mode) to enabled.
    7) Save the new settings
    8) Power down the system
    9) Install the NVIDIA Add-in card
    10) The system should now boot


    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    19 Aug 2015 #10

    Famazed said: View Post
    By RTC Cell he means just the normal battery? And what does it even do?
    No, he means the little silver disc cell that powers the CMOS, which is the BIOS memory. Disconnecting this battery should clear all user settings and the BIOS will be reset to the default values.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTC.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	32537
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Hi Just tried to install the latest W10 as a boot with W7 on SSD , installation failed and now will not complete installation. Will not reboot and reinstall, and prevents access to the BIOS to change boot to CD? Any thoughts, suggestions or...
Solved Bios again in Drivers and Hardware
Hi, Does Bios get automatically updated like Windows or do I have to do it manually? If so, how do I check if my Bios needs upgrading? I see the version/date, American Megatrend inc v10.7, 22.07.2014, but have no idea whether it is outdated or...
Dual boot 10 & 7 BIOS/UEFI possible issues in Installation and Upgrade
I dual boot to 2 different windows 7 installs. I have my primary for day to day stuff and the second install is for my DAW. I don't want to update the DAW to 10 because of the issues it may cause. I do want to update my primary install to 10. Can...
So, basically if we have a computer that doesn't have a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot, then we can't upgrade to Windows 10? Am I right or wrong here?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:53.
Find Us