DISM and bootrec / bootbcd questions  


  1. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    DISM and bootrec / bootbcd questions


    #1. Can you only use DISM to service an online Windows installation and not an offline one (neither being image files), and you can only service offline if it's in the form of an image file? There's no way to service a non-image Windows installation unless you're logged into it ?

    #2. Is using bcdboot only to repair an already-installed Windows environment, or would it also work to repair a USB Windows installation media that no longer boots ?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,491
    win10 home
       #2

    Dism is used to access clean files direct from Microsoft.If you use it offline,then you could end up using corrupted files to "repair" themselves.
    There are Recovery Drives used to try to fix damage.Windows has one or Kyhi's available on this site.
    For a "system no longer boots",does that mean bios or Windows?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    joeandmarg0 said:
    Dism is used to access clean files direct from Microsoft.If you use it offline,then you could end up using corrupted files to "repair" themselves.
    There are Recovery Drives used to try to fix damage.Windows has one or Kyhi's available on this site.
    For a "system no longer boots",does that mean bios or Windows?

    I'm having trouble finding a direct answer to my first question. I have an install.wim accessible in Command Prompt, so I'm asking if the offline Windows that I want repaired has to be in the form of a file in order to use DISM on it.

    As for my 2nd question, I have a USB Windows install stick, but it no longer boots to install after Automatic Repair was run in Windows RE to try to repair hard drive.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4,173
    several
       #4

    I'm asking if the offline Windows that I want repaired has to be in the form of a file in order to use DISM on it.
    No, it can also service an image that has already been applied/installed.


    USB Windows install stick
    That should be a winpe entry pointing at sources\boot.wim. You could repair it manually, or just replace the bcd hive.

    You could copy Windows\Boot\DVD\EFI\bcd
    and paste that bcd into efi\microsoft\boot\ folder on your usb stick
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    What do you mean when you say a WinPE entry? How do I make an entry ?

    - - - Updated - - -

    SIW2 said:
    No, it can also service an image that has already been applied/installed

    I'm doing this in Windows RE, so just to confirm you understand that I can't be in regular Windows (which I guess is online). But what command syntax would I use, cuz I tried setting Image path to C:\Windows and that never works, along with the other options.

    - - - Updated - - -

    joeandmarg0 said:
    Dism is used to access clean files direct from Microsoft.If you use it offline,then you could end up using corrupted files to "repair" themselves.
    There are Recovery Drives used to try to fix damage.Windows has one or Kyhi's available on this site.
    For a "system no longer boots",does that mean bios or Windows?
    I'm using a USB Windows installation media too, problem is, after running Automatic Startup Repair to try to fix another drive, the USB no longer boots to anything.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 40,987
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #6

    With a bootable windows 10 iso flash drive you can run commands that are dism.
    And with a bootable windows 10 iso flash drive you can run bootrec and bcdboot commands.
    With a bootable windows 10 iso these are performed in Windows Recovery Environment (RE).

    The source of the iso is important for some commands.
    The iso can be in different formats which alters some commands.


    Download Windows 10 ISO File
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10
    See Full Details about a Windows 10 ISO file or USB
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 4,173
    several
       #7

    I'm doing this in Windows RE, so just to confirm you understand that I can't be in regular Windows (which I guess is online). But what command syntax would I use, cuz I tried setting Image path to C:\Windows and that never works, along with the other options.
    While you are booted into Winre, your windows installation on the hard drive is offline.

    1. Boot into winre

    2. Find the letter that winre has assigned to your windows partition on the hard disk ( it might not be C ).

    3. If winre has allocated letter E to your windows partition on the hard disk, and the install.wim is on M the command goes like this:

    Dism /Image:E:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:M:\install.wim
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #8

    SIW2 said:
    While you are booted into Winre, your windows installation on the hard drive is offline.

    1. Boot into winre

    2. Find the letter that winre has assigned to your windows partition on the hard disk ( it might not be C ).

    3. If winre has allocated letter E to your windows partition on the hard disk, and the install.wim is on M the command goes like this:

    Dism /Image:E:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:M:\install.wim

    Would /Image:C:\offline do the same as /Image:C:\Windows ? The command says to point to the root directory of Windows. In either case, both output "Unable to access the image." When I change it to just C:\ it says cleanup-image option is unknown. Here is the related part of the DISM logfile. It says that no providers were found that support the command(cleanup-image):

    DISM and bootrec / bootbcd questions-img_20210305_081007662.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    zbook said:
    With a bootable windows 10 iso flash drive you can run commands that are dism.
    And with a bootable windows 10 iso flash drive you can run bootrec and bcdboot commands.
    With a bootable windows 10 iso these are performed in Windows Recovery Environment (RE).

    The source of the iso is important for some commands.
    The iso can be in different formats which alters some commands.


    Download Windows 10 ISO File
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10
    See Full Details about a Windows 10 ISO file or USB

    Yes, I've written that I have a USB installation media, and it booted to it, but when I tried Startup Repair with it, then it rebooted and would never boot from it again. But I can still access those USB files from Command Prompt when loading Windows RE from the USB NVMe that I'm trying to repair. And I've copied both install.wim and boot.wim to a safe place on the C drive just in case.
    Last edited by DariusGalaxyz; 05 Mar 2021 at 09:17.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 4,173
    several
       #9

    In either case, both output "Unable to access the image."
    Possibly it is corruption that cant be repaired.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #10

    SIW2 said:
    Possibly it is corruption that cant be repaired.

    I've updated my last posting with more info. It seems to read more when I use the root directory, but then a command isn't recognized.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums