Is changing the Default Installation Drive a bad practice?


  1. Posts : 132
    Windows 10 & Ubuntu Studio
       #1

    Is changing the Default Installation Drive a bad practice?


    I did it via regedit with these instructions.
    But now some of my apps' shortcuts in the Start up menu are no longer working. It's no big deal, I just removed them from the Start up menu, found their respective executable files, and put them in the taskbar instead. It's not ideal, but the new shortcut does call the executable successfully.
    I hope I won't find any serious issues down the road.
    Does anyone know if this is a known bad practice that will affect Windows 10 in an important way?

    Thanks in advance guys

    DPC
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 18,045
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #2

    Hello @drpeppercan,

    drpeppercan said:
    I did it via regedit with these instructions.
    But now some of my apps' shortcuts in the Start up menu are no longer working. It's no big deal, I just removed them from the Start up menu, found their respective executable files, and put them in the taskbar instead. It's not ideal, but the new shortcut does call the executable successfully.
    I hope I won't find any serious issues down the road.
    Does anyone know if this is a known bad practice that will affect Windows 10 in an important way?

    The C:\Program Files(x86)\ folder and the C:\Program Files\ [ x64 ] folder are integral and important to the OS. You would be better off relocating the Users folder or your Data to a separate Partition.

    Is there a specific reason that you want to do this?

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 132
    Windows 10 & Ubuntu Studio
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Yes, this helps!
    Yes, I need to free space in the C: drive

    Now, in the meantime while I get another drive, can I still put the C: drive as the Default installation drive? Or is it too late to revert any issues that came as a result of that?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 18,045
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #4

    Hello @drpeppercan,

    drpeppercan said:
    Yes, this helps!
    You are VERY welcome.

    drpeppercan said:
    Yes, I need to free space in the C: drive.(
    Have you tried the Win 10 built-in Disk Cleanup [ I would suggest Option 2 ] . . .

    > How to Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

    drpeppercan said:
    Now, in the meantime while I get another drive, can I still put the C: drive as the Default installation drive? Or is it too late to revert any issues that came as a result of that?
    Sorry, I Don't understand what you mean!

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 42,496
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #5

    That is a very old hack which is unsupported by MS.

    Whilst Windows will function, both upgrades and an in-place upgrade repair install will fail.

    Nor will it save significant space. Why? Medium to larger programs don't just create folders there, they create them in a number of other places on C: as well.

    There are far far better ways to save space on C: and make use of other drives on your PC.

    a.
    Free Up Drive Space in Windows 10

    b. Move personal data off C:

    But now some of my apps' shortcuts in the Start up menu are no longer working.
    Correct. And all the folders and registry entries for them remain as a mess on your disk.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,621
    Windows 10 Home
       #6

    In the old old days of WfW 3.11 and earlier, Norton Utilities had a function which would scan all the shortcuts, scan for the EXEs and COMs "mentioned" in said shortcuts, any/all miss-matches would be coughed up on a display, and we users could re-associate shortcut[s] with their respective executables. Those days are long gone.
    Now, one has to either, shortcut after shortcut, manually write in each respective correct path, or, reinstall ornery 3rd programs divorced from their shortcuts. I'm wondering if a Repair Install would even work in this situation, even my W7 Repair Install did not fix any 3rd party miss-matches.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 42,496
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #7

    Please re-read my first 2 lines.

    Plus it wouldn't fix anything related to installed programs even if it could complete with that hack done.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,621
    Windows 10 Home
       #8

    dalchina said:
    Please re-read my first 2 lines. Plus it wouldn't fix anything related to installed programs even if it could complete with that hack done.
    I was agreeing with you indirectly :)
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 132
    Windows 10 & Ubuntu Studio
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Wow, after reading your posts, I think I'll restore to a recent past date then.
    And never do that again!

    I found an available and larger HD I could throw in to the mix to help out. I'll try to restore to this HD.

    Thanks a bunch everyone!!! :)

    DPC
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums