Is there a specific way to set up windows search?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 49
    windows 10 pro
       #1

    Is there a specific way to set up windows search?


    I'm having problems with searching for files and folders in windows search and would like to know if there is a specific way to set things up to make searching easier.

    At the moment searching for files is pretty much non-functional and unless I know the location of a file I am unable to find it.

    For example I've just done a basic search through the search bar in file explorer in which I searched for my girlfriends name - a 5 letter word which is the title of numerous folders and photos on my computer that are in an easy to find location (the photos folder and the desktop) - something that should be extremely easy to find and I suspect would represent a common thing to search for. However the search returns only 1 text document with this name in the title. Files plainly visible to me on the desktop are not returned in the search as are many many other files I know contain the search term. Search is simply not functional.

    Can anybody explain to me what I am doing wrong and what the correct method is to find files and folders by name in windows 10?


    Windows 10 pro
    Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 21,421
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #2

    Hello silverz ,
    Check to see if your Windows Search settings is set to Enhanced first.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 21,421
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #3

    Can you create some test folders and/or files so we can both try the same searches that you are doing - fake girlfriend names
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 93
    Windows 10 pro 64 Bit Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.844)
       #4

    I personally dont use windows file explorer much anymore. Third party software and ive tested alot of different ones seem to work better anyway. I know Microsoft is really working hard to make it better but..anyway check out QDir or FreeCommander XE or XYPlorer..used them all love FreeCommander the most. But if you dont want to try that idea then check and see if you have Windows Indexing set to ON.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 21,421
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #5

    imanalien said:
    I personally dont use windows file explorer much anymore. Third party software and ive tested alot of different ones seem to work better anyway. I know Microsoft is really working hard to make it better but..anyway check out QDir or FreeCommander XE or XYPlorer..used them all love FreeCommander the most. But if you dont want to try that idea then check and see if you have Windows Indexing set to ON.
    I use Windows Search, File Explorer, and third party Agent Ransack as necessary (which is very rarely). Windows Search and File Explorer work quite well and meet most of my needs.

    Windows Search is more efficient for me to find installed apps, settings, index folders and files, etc than any third party tools.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 30
    Windows 10 enterprise
       #6

    Treesize free software or do full indexing options on windows. Go to control panel and search for indexing, enable all and do on main c drive select all folders in root and go to properties right click go to options or so find allow indexing for files and software or so disable it cancel the green process look and then close select all folders again and re select allow indexing all and wait for process to finish or u can do same on c main drive properties i think just disable cancel applying and re enable wait till finiah.U may wanna get windows 365 defender
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 21,421
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #7

    exzo said:
    Treesize free software or do full indexing options on windows. Go to control panel and search for indexing, enable all and do on main c drive select all folders in root and go to properties right click go to options or so find allow indexing for files and software or so disable it cancel the green process look and then close select all folders again and re select allow indexing all and wait for process to finish or u can do same on c main drive properties i think just disable cancel applying and re enable wait till finiah.U may wanna get windows 365 defender
    It's generally not necessary to index to entire C: drive. The index file will get too large. I've found the locations that search indexes by default to generally be sufficient.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 18,045
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #8

    Hello @silverz,

    As an alternative, you might like to have a look at this . . .

     Everything - FREE

    Everything [ FREE ] is an extremely quick search engine that locates files and folders by filename instantly. Unlike Windows search, it initially displays every file and folder for which the criteria of the search matches.

    About Everything:

    • Small installation file.
    • Clean and simple user interface.
    • Quick file indexing.
    • Quick searching.
    • Minimal resource usage.
    • Share files with others easily.
    • Real-time updating.

    > Website & Download => Everything - VoidTools

    I hope this helps!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 30
    Windows 10 enterprise
       #9

    steve108 said:
    It's generally not necessary to index to entire C: drive. The index file will get too large. I've found the locations that search indexes by default to generally be sufficient.
    Yup
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,426
    Windows 10
       #10

    Paul Black said:
    Hello @silverz,
    As an alternative, you might like to have a look at this . . .
     Everything - FREE

    Everything [ FREE ] is an extremely quick search engine that locates files and folders by filename instantly. Unlike Windows search, it initially displays every file and folder for which the criteria of the search matches.
    > Website & Download => Everything - VoidTools
    I hope this helps!
    +1 Is there a specific way to set up windows search?-thumbs.gif
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums