Clean Up Notification Items for Uninstalled Software

  1. Homer712's Avatar
    Posts : 176
    Windows 10, 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928)
       #1

    Clean Up Notification Items for Uninstalled Software


    Is there any way to clean up, as in delete, entries in the Notification Settings for software that has been uninstalled. Third item in the list, SyncBackPro has been uninstalled, yet still shows up in the list, with a "generic" icon no less, so Windows must know its gone. Was uninstalled via Revo Uninstaller Pro.

    So far what I tried was reinstalling the software and then trying the uninstall via "Programs and Features" Control Panel. That didn't work. Not a big deal, just one of those annoying Microsoft "gifts" that gets left behind.

    Any ideas?

    Clean Up Notification Items for Uninstalled Software-image_85.png
      My Computer

  2. BubbaW's Avatar
    Posts : 72
    Win 10 Pro 19043.1237 (X64) (21H1)
       #2

    Those entries are stored in the below registry key for the current signed on user !

    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings


    Turn On or Off Notifications from Apps and Senders in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
      My Computer

  3. Homer712's Avatar
    Posts : 176
    Windows 10, 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    BubbaW said:
    Those entries are stored in the below registry key for the current signed on user !

    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings


    Turn On or Off Notifications from Apps and Senders in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
    Thanks, I found an entry in that location for SyncBackPro (actually, 2BrightSparks) and deleted it. Rebooted. Nothing, the entry is still there.

    On a hunch that the leftover entry had to be there somewhere in the registry I downloaded Wise Registry Cleaner and ran that. Bam, SyncBackPro entry is gone! So, once I restore my SSD from this morning's Macrium Reflect image backup, I guess I could try just installing Wise Registry Cleaner again, doing just a scan and see if I can pick out the correct registry entry out of the hundreds of invalid entries it finds.
      My Computer

  4. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 15,100
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #4

    Hello @Homer712,

    Homer712 said:
    I found an entry in that location for SyncBackPro (actually, 2BrightSparks) and deleted it. Rebooted. Nothing, the entry is still there.

    On a hunch that the leftover entry had to be there somewhere in the registry I downloaded Wise Registry Cleaner and ran that. Bam, SyncBackPro entry is gone! So, once I restore my SSD from this morning's Macrium Reflect image backup, I guess I could try just installing Wise Registry Cleaner again, doing just a scan and see if I can pick out the correct registry entry out of the hundreds of invalid entries it finds.

    Just a word of warning!

    Unless you are familiar with the Registry, you should NOT touch it. There are many so called Registry Cleaners available, so free, and some paid for.

    In your situation I can understand why you used one. It is highly recommended that BEFORE you use a Registry Cleaner that you create a System Image and Backup the Registry, just in case.

    In normal circumstances, cleaning the Registry has NO impact on the computers performance.

    Have you tried running Disk Cleanup? . . .

    > How to Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer

  5. Homer712's Avatar
    Posts : 176
    Windows 10, 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928)
    Thread Starter
       #5

    @Paul Black Thanks! I make a Macrium Reflect image before I do anything with the laptop. I do stay away from registry cleaners (all cleaners, actually) and I'm too much of a novice to try my hand at editing the registry on my own. So, I guess like with many other little annoyances with Windows, I'll just let it go rather than break something else finding a solution for this one.

    PS: I like your quotes at the bottom of your responses. I'm now retired (Electrical Engineer) and always told others . . . if you can't come up with a formula or put it in a spreadsheet, don't bother me with it.
      My Computer

  6. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 15,100
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #6

    Hello @Homer712,

    Homer712 said:
    @Paul Black Thanks! I make a Macrium Reflect image before I do anything with the laptop. I do stay away from registry cleaners (all cleaners, actually) and I'm too much of a novice to try my hand at editing the registry on my own. So, I guess like with many other little annoyances with Windows, I'll just let it go rather than break something else finding a solution for this one.

    PS: I like your quotes at the bottom of your responses. I'm now retired (Electrical Engineer) and always told others . . . if you can't come up with a formula or put it in a spreadsheet, don't bother me with it.

    You are VERY welcome.

    I was inspired by the film => Pi
      My Computer



 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums