An operating system wasn't found

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 65
    Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OC Build 18363.592)
       #1

    An operating system wasn't found


    An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.

    That's the message. I've tried to restore it from a USB file but it didn't work.

    How it happened.
    I installed a new diver to a scanner, hoping to improve improvement. It didn't.
    I tried to run Macrium to restore to earlier in the day. Corrupt file.
    Rebooted and I got this message.
    Ran diagnostics and all is well. CPU, Hard Drive Connection Test, Boot test, SMART test, Memory test... all Passed.
    I tried to restore from an image on a network, but the machine told me the path was wrong.

    Please help if you've run into this yourself.

    Computer Type:PC/DesktopSystem Manufacturer/Model Number:HP p6745fOS:Windows 10 Version 1909 Build 1863.259CPU:Intel Core i5-2300 @ 2.80 MHzMotherboard:Pegatron Corporation 2AB6 V 1.04Memory:6 GBGraphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6700 SeriesSound Card:IDT High Def Audio CODEC/AMD High Def Audio Device (Using Toslink output)Monitor(s) Displays:LG 22MP56Screen Resolution:1920x1080Keyboard:LogitechMouse:LogitechPSU:550W generic (cheap)Case:HPCooling:FanHard Drives:WDC WDSS500G2B0A-00SM50Browser:ChromeAntivirus:Windows Security/Malwarebytes
    Last edited by pxfragonard; 18 Feb 2021 at 10:22. Reason: Title error
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 13,983
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint
       #2

    The last time I got that message was when I pulled a second HDD from a computer, found that the Win10 install had picked up the AHCI/RAID setting in the BIOS and the boot process was broken by that removal, required a reinstall. It's been pretty well documented on this site and others that having 2 or more drives connected during Win10 install creates issues. When booting up and seeing that message it usually means the BIOS can't find the boot files on a drive and is searching all connected drives for them. Could be the drive Win10 was installed on is having issues.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 18,044
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #3

    Hello @pxfragonard,

    Berton said:
    The last time I got that message was when I pulled a second HDD from a computer, found that the Win10 install had picked up the AHCI/RAID setting in the BIOS and the boot process was broken by that removal, required a reinstall. It's been pretty well documented on this site and others that having 2 or more drives connected during Win10 install creates issues. When booting up and seeing that message it usually means the BIOS can't find the boot files on a drive and is searching all connected drives for them. Could be the drive Win10 was installed on is having issues.

    Just to add to the post above . . .

     Disconnect ALL Other Disks

    It is highly recommended that you disconnect [ temporarily unplug ] ALL other Disks [ HDD's/SSD's/USB's ] BEFORE installing Windows. The reasons for this are . . .

    • You CAN'T accidentally OVERWRITE a connected Disk.
    • The BOOTLOADER [ boot configuration files ] will get installed on the correct Disk [ because Windows has the tendency to install the bootloader rather randomly on ANY connected Disk ], and therefore STOP problems with booting once the installation is complete.

    Once the installation is complete . . .

    • Check that the OS boots correctly.
    • Check if the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI settings are correct [ if NOT, adjust accordingly ].
    • Reconnectthe other Disks.

    EXPLANATION:

    Windows uses a different partition structure for BIOS/UEFI. During the installation process, Windows asks which Disk / Partition you want to use for the Windows C:\ drive, it does NOT however, necessarily use the same Disk for the other Partitions, and can therefore incorrectly create the hidden recovery partition on ANY attached Disk.

    Additionally, for BIOS, if another Disk is left attached, and at a latter stage you remove that Disk, you will find that the OS will NOT boot. If you check the BIOS, you will see that the OS has assigned the AHCI/RAID setting instead of the LEGACY setting and set it up as RAID, therefore breaking the boot process.

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 41,452
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #4

    The HP desktop has drivers and / or BIOS up to 2012.
    HP did not test / support it for Windows 10.
    The last tested / supported drivers were for Windows 8.

    Find a bootable flash drive with free space.
    On a working computer download and install onto the flash drive:
    HP UEFI hardware diagnostics:
    https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/.../pc-diags.html

    Insert the flash drive into any compatible USB port.
    Power on the problematic computer and repetitively click F2.
    Run the extensive > loop until error test > after 2 runs click esc > take pictures with a smartphone camera > upload images into this thread


    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7,606
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #5

    pxfragonard said:
    An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system.
    Months ago, when my HDD was dying, I saw the same message as shown below:

    Place to store small batch files for use in the BSOD forum

    The solution was to replace the HDD.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 18,430
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    @pxfragonard,

    Have you tried booting from a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive created with Microsoft's own Media Creation Tool?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 65
    Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OC Build 18363.592)
    Thread Starter
       #7

    zbook said:
    The HP desktop has drivers and / or BIOS up to 2012.
    HP did not test / support it for Windows 10.
    The last tested / supported drivers were for Windows 8.

    Find a bootable flash drive with free space.
    On a working computer download and install onto the flash drive:
    HP UEFI hardware diagnostics:
    https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/.../pc-diags.html

    Insert the flash drive into any compatible USB port.
    Power on the problematic computer and repetitively click F2.
    Run the extensive > loop until error test > after 2 runs click esc > take pictures with a smartphone camera > upload images into this thread


    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
    I don't have UEFI. I have legacy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    NavyLCDR said:
    @pxfragonard,

    Have you tried booting from a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive created with Microsoft's own Media Creation Tool?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    I don't have a license key. This was a factory installed windows 7 that they upgraded to win 10.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Berton said:
    The last time I got that message was when I pulled a second HDD from a computer, found that the Win10 install had picked up the AHCI/RAID setting in the BIOS and the boot process was broken by that removal, required a reinstall. It's been pretty well documented on this site and others that having 2 or more drives connected during Win10 install creates issues. When booting up and seeing that message it usually means the BIOS can't find the boot files on a drive and is searching all connected drives for them. Could be the drive Win10 was installed on is having issues.
    OK. So what's the solution, please?
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 18,430
    Windows 11 Pro
       #8

    pxfragonard said:
    I don't have UEFI. I have legacy.

    I don't have a license key. This was a factory installed windows 7 that they upgraded to win 10.

    OK. So what's the solution, please?
    You don't need a license key. The first step to your solution would be to download the Media Creation Tool on another Windows computer, click the Download Tool Now button to get the Media Creation Tool:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    Run the Media Creation Tool that is downloaded, have an 8 GB or larger USB flash drive that is or can be erased, and use the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 USB flash drive. Then boot your computer from that. Skip entering a product key, if asked. Select the same edition of Windows 10 you had before (Home or Pro), and you can do a clean install, or with that USB flash drive we can also do some more troubleshooting.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 41,452
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #9

    pxfragonard said:
    I don't have UEFI. I have legacy.
    Please proceed with the steps in the earlier post.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 65
    Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OC Build 18363.592)
    Thread Starter
       #10

    zbook said:
    The HP desktop has drivers and / or BIOS up to 2012.
    HP did not test / support it for Windows 10.
    The last tested / supported drivers were for Windows 8.

    Find a bootable flash drive with free space.
    On a working computer download and install onto the flash drive:
    HP UEFI hardware diagnostics:
    https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/.../pc-diags.html

    Insert the flash drive into any compatible USB port.
    Power on the problematic computer and repetitively click F2.
    Run the extensive > loop until error test > after 2 runs click esc > take pictures with a smartphone camera > upload images into this thread


    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
    Thanks. Should I use the HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY or the VISION DIAGNOSTICS which works outside the operating system?
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums