Well, does anyone know what this stuff is or relates to?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 23,435
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4412 (x64) [22H2]
    Thread Starter
       #21

    Well I found the .zh file extension. Zelda Classic (written for the PC)


    Well, does anyone know what this stuff is or relates to?-image1.png
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 919
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 19045.3324
       #22

    Ghot said:
    Not intentionally.
    Many times I try to open files with notepad... like maybe something in a game.
    But I haven't assigned anything to notepad specifically.
    I'm actually quite interested in this, cause I've been seeing it for a while now.

    As a general rule I do a clean install with every major release and will see them soon after, once I've made the file associations with my programs like Notepad++ and Xnview.

    Then once deleted they don't normally return. But if there's a new file association months later it can happen. I'm just now seeing the connections and recently have been monitoring what I call my "after 'zune' list" of oddities.

    I suspect many other's might have them, but who scrolls ALLL the way to the end HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and past 'zune' to see them?

    Once we get to 21H1 soon, I'll more closely watch as I install all my utilities to see when they appear and by what program.

    I'll post back any findings.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 23,435
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4412 (x64) [22H2]
    Thread Starter
       #23

    Farvatten said:
    I'm actually quite interested in this, cause I've been seeing it for a while now.

    As a general rule I do a clean install with every major release and will see them soon after, once I've made the file associations with my programs like Notepad++ and Xnview.

    Then once deleted they don't normally return. But if there's a new file association months later it can happen. I'm just now seeing the connections and recently have been monitoring what I call my "after 'zune' list" of oddities.

    I suspect many other's might have them, but who scrolls ALLL the way to the end HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and past 'zune' to see them?

    Once we get to 21H1 soon, I'll more closely watch as I install all my utilities to see when they appear and by what program.

    I'll post back any findings.



    How do I UN - associate notepad with .zh files?



    brb gotta reboot.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 919
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 19045.3324
       #24

    Ghot said:
    How do I UN - associate notepad with .zh files?
    You ask a good question sir...

    I did find this but have never used it:

    https://docs.microsoft.comd/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/assoc


    Other than:

    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>assoc > assoc.txt
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 23,435
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4412 (x64) [22H2]
    Thread Starter
       #25

    Farvatten said:
    You ask good questions sir.

    I found this but have never used it:

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...commands/assoc



    Well with careful butchering of the registry, notepad is no longer associated with .zh files.
    And... Zelda Classic still works.

    But, the Chinese characters are still there.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 7,606
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #26

    I am now running Chinese Windows PE. The characters in question are displayed as junk characters rather than Chinese characters.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 23,435
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4412 (x64) [22H2]
    Thread Starter
       #27

    Matthew Wai said:
    I am now running Chinese Windows PE. The characters in question are displayed as junk characters rather than Chinese characters.


    Yeah, the translator said some were Korean (auto-detect)

    I think I'm gonna try the backup, then butcher the registry method.
    Thanks for the assists.


    When I went through the registry deleting zh_auto_file entries, and then decided to make a backup, I ran CCleaner as usual, and noticed that one of those fake Chinese entries went away.

    Anyway, I'm now gonna try just deleting them and see what happens.



    /edit

    Well... the computer didn't blow up.
    Last edited by Ghot; 15 Feb 2021 at 02:21.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 7,606
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #28

    Ghot said:
    How do I UN - associate notepad with .zh files?
    See whether .zh is associated with Notepad.

    REG query HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zh\OpenWithList


    PS No one is competing for rep. Thanks for the rep anyway!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 23,435
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4412 (x64) [22H2]
    Thread Starter
       #29

    Matthew Wai said:
    See whether .zh is associated with Notepad.

    REG query HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zh\OpenWithList


    PS No one is competing for rep. Thanks for the rep anyway!


    I already found out how to unassociate it, and it was associated with notepad, and is again.
    I deleted the fake Chinese keys, and then deleted those files in my user name folder (.blf and .regtrans-ms) except the current ones. Then rebooted and the fake Chinese keys aren't back.

    I checked all the programs that I thought might be related to those entries, and all seem fine.

    So, I'll keep an eye on it, I guess.

    And I know there's no rep contest bro... I was just kidding.


    /edit

    I'm gonna mark this as resolved, but like I said, I'm gonna keep an eye on those reg entries.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 7,606
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #30

    Ghot said:
    I checked all the programs that I thought might be related to those entries, and all seem fine.
    I have installed a Chinese program that will create a scheduled task which will re-download some unwanted stuff if it has been removed. The solution is to delete the scheduled task. You may have to check Task Scheduler too.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums