Missing icons in 2 places for devices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #1

    Missing icons in 2 places for devices


    Never seen this before in other OS, just noticed when i hook up my external WD Ultra Passport no icon shows in Devices and Printers just square white icon, same happens in notification area under Safely Remove. Also in Devices and Printers my Epson Printer no longer shows as a Printer Icon but a Folder icon with name of the printer. Maybe with printer it is driver or software related to Windows 10, but both of these devices never had this happen in Windows 8.1.

    Both devices work properly and is seen in Device manager correctly.

    Missing icons in 2 places for devices-untitled2.jpgMissing icons in 2 places for devices-untitled3.jpg
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #2

    sn00ker said:
    Hi... What you need to do is left click the Start, Settings, System ... click on the Notifications and actions ... then click Select which icons appear on the taskbar , then you can either show all by selecting On or off , have it on ON ... Always show all icons in the notification area ... You can select which you want to be viewable or not
    Not idea of me wanting or not wanting it there in notification area, that part i know how to do, does not change lose of icon you see in first picture i posted in my post and in the Device and Printers the drive icon is missing too.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
       #3

    jds63 said:
    Not idea of me wanting or not wanting it there thaty part i know how to do does not change lose of icon you see in forst picture i posted in my post and in the Device and Printers the drive is missing too.
    Yeah I just caught that lol I was looking at your pic for taskbar
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #4

    sn00ker said:
    Yeah I just caught that lol I was looking at your pic for taskbar
    Thanks anyway that just hide safely remove icon
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
       #5

    I just try my external usb drive and I can see it okay . Actually mine isn't a brand . What I bought was an empty external usb enclosure and add what ever drive I want . The first one on the left is it

    Missing icons in 2 places for devices-drives.jpg
    Last edited by sn00ker; 18 Aug 2015 at 14:43.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #6

    sn00ker said:
    I just try my external usb drive and I can see it okay , hang on and I will show a pic
    Wondering which brand,thanks.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
       #7

    Do you use a usb mouse ? I was thinking to try refreshing your usb in the Devise manager by refreshing I mean go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers expand it and delete what ever is listed in there if you can, you might not be able to use your mouse or keyboard if its usb but by deleting that area it will refresh the usb ports and it might do the trick . If your able to delete everything in there restart the computer afterwards when windows loads up again it will reload all the usb stuff fresh again
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #8

    sn00ker said:
    Do you use a usb mouse ? I was thinking to try refreshing your usb in the Devise manager by refreshing I mean go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers expand it and delete what ever is listed in there if you can, you might not be able to use your mouse or keyboard if its usb but by deleting that area it will refresh the usb ports and it might do the trick . If your able to delete everything in there restart the computer afterwards when windows loads up again it will reload all the usb stuff fresh again
    One process i was thinking about doing also. Seems i finally got them back by removing the device in Device and Printer and letting them redetect them again once plugged in external or turned on for printer, seemed to work best for external drive then the printer. Printer icon is default windows one, not one use to see in Windows 8.1 which was an image of exact printer. Now i believe this icon for printer comes from the software driver.

    All in all printer always worked fine as just happen to notice it now ans printer has 2 flash card drives which were also blank white icons in This PC in explorer. Weird thing is when i run diagnostics on printer it says it is on a USB 3.0 port and be best to be on USB 2.0 as it's required by this printer being USB 2.0, weird part is, it is on a USB 2.0 port, only the USB external Drive is on a USB 3.0 port.

    Driver issue with Epson since they have not updated since 2013, but say it is fine with Windows 10 and printer works fine so does USB External drive, pics below.

    Missing icons in 2 places for devices-untitled.jpgMissing icons in 2 places for devices-untitled2.jpg
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 550
    10 pro 64
       #9

    Glad you got it fixed . I'm sure there going to be fixes for things like this from Microsoft and from the manufacturers once they all get the drivers updated . In the mean time we just have to wait it out
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #10

    sn00ker said:
    Glad you got it fixed . I'm sure there going to be fixes for things like this from Microsoft and from the manufacturers once they all get the drivers updated . In the mean time we just have to wait it out
    Thank you, thank you for helping. Yes, i know this is probably the issue new OS. When i see anything i try myself to fix it and post here for any help i can receive. And they complained about Windows 8.1 then too
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums