Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    17 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10

    Blank Start Menu Icons


    Since my upgrade from windows 7, all my start menu icons are blank. I've tried deleting the icon cache.db file, doesn't help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K83CCs4.png 
Views:	367 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	32180
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    19 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Bump, please help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    19 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Try this first https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-icon-cache-rebuild-windows-10-a.html


    Does not help try option 3 here, also use DISM command in blue notes after, then reboot PC

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    19 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Try this first https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-icon-cache-rebuild-windows-10-a.html


    Does not help try option 3 here, also use DISM command in blue notes after, then reboot PC

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
    I already tried rebuilding the icon cache, as I said. Didn't help. I'll try the second option, thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    19 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by userX01 View Post
    I already tried rebuilding the icon cache, as I said. Didn't help. I'll try the second option, thanks
    Yeah, rebuild icon cache always first try did not know if followed all steps or just deleted. db file, let us know, your welcome !
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Yeah, rebuild icon cache always first try did not know if followed all steps or just deleted. db file, let us know, your welcome !
    I used the bat file to rebuild the icon cache, did sfc /scannow, the DISM command, and used the reg file to re associate the .ico file type. Icons are still blank, it did not work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by userX01 View Post
    I used the bat file to rebuild the icon cache, did sfc /scannow, the DISM command, and used the reg file to re associate the .ico file type. Icons are still blank, it did not work.
    Do say every programs icon is blank there, even Microsoft apps to the right, do not see them in pic you captured ? Are you suing any Start Menu programs like Classic Shell or Start10 ? Saying this happened exactly after upgrade was finished ? Wanted to know, if any restore points before this exactly looked this way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Do say every programs icon is blank there, even Microsoft apps to the right, do not see them in pic you captured ? Are you suing any Start Menu programs like Classic Shell or Start10 ? Saying this happened exactly after upgrade was finished ? Wanted to know, if any restore points before this exactly looked this way.
    1. Microsoft apps are ok. Maps, Camera, ect are fine.
    2. I am not using Classic Shell or Start10.
    3. Yes, this happened right after my upgrade from windows 7.
    4. And, no. I don't have any restore points where the icons are ok. As I said, it happened as soon as I got windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,057
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Besides the ADOBE programs in that same list there are also ones not pinned to the right of the Start menu,also system programs and MS ones, you say they are fine it is just only all third party software on system from upgrade you had already ? If so either try a reinstall of those programs will just modify the install and overwrite existing program or other option be to try a refresh. If it is every third party program was on it before, except for any MS.

    If no restore points, SFC or Dism did not help along with doing icon cache rebuild done correctly, not sure what else yet to try.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Besides the ADOBE programs in that same list there are also ones not pinned to the right of the Start menu,also system programs and MS ones, you say they are fine it is just only all third party software on system from upgrade you had already ? If so either try a reinstall of those programs will just modify the install and overwrite existing program or other option be to try a refresh. If it is every third party program was on it before, except for any MS.

    If no restore points, SFC or Dism did not help along with doing icon cache rebuild done correctly, not sure what else yet to try.
    I tried to reinstall one program already, the icon was still blank. as you can see here, MS programs are fine. So far windows 10 has not impressed me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fljVyvs.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	32831
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Start Menu Custom Icons?
Is it possible to swap out the default icon with custom one? I use to use a app called OblyTile within Windows 8 and would swap out my icons with custom ones. Is there anyway to do this in W10? Thanks.
Customization
Icons for many apps not showing in Start menu
As per the image below - why are many of my apps not showing their icons? There's not options to change them and I've tried pinning the original .exe and shortcuts to the app but there is no difference. Any clues? 27160
General Support
Windows 10 Start-Menu Icons broken ?
Hello community, I just installed Windows 10 and its nice and all, just that the icons in the start menu and the system settings for programs are broken. You dont know what I mean? This is a screenshot: http://prntscr.com/7ygrd5 Hope you can...
General Support
Start menu icons
Im having this weird issue when i make icons small on start screen, Has anyone encountered or resolved this issue. They seem to be cut in half. 27997
Customization
10061 Start Menu Icons
Hi, Anyone else having this problem, since I upgraded to Windows 10061 the start menu icons don't work, apart from the ones included with Windows. Example - Photoshop CC 2014, VLC Media Player, Office 2013 don't work and yet some do like...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums