Desktop Operating System

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 18
    Win 8.1; Win 10
       #1

    Desktop Operating System


    Am I alone, or are there others out there who would like a DESKTOP operating system to use with their DESKTOP computers? Swiping, pinching, tapping, chanting arcane spells to your Cortana crystal ball, ... -- all these may be OK on a phone or tablet, but don't they just add to the effort of using a desktop computer?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 23,195
    Windows 10
       #2

    My 10 has a desktop, works almost identical to previous versions of windows
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4,054
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    Not only is there a desktop but windows 10 offers multiple desktops.

    TC :)
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 18
    Win 8.1; Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    tcman50 said:
    Not only is there a desktop but windows 10 offers multiple desktops.

    TC :)
    That's one feature of Win 10 that I really like!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 219
    10 (Free upgrade)
       #5

    Am I alone...
    No you aren't.

    I, for one, don't need the childish tiles and data gathering browsers on my computer. I don't need the stupid games and connections to XBox, either. I don't need TV, music and video players assaulting me with Taylor Swift and infantile boy band hype. If I want the weather update I'll look out the window!

    My computer isn't a toy.

    Thankfully, with knowledge, patience and online forums like this at my disposal, it's possible to remove (almost) all traces of the Microsoft attempt to Apple-fy my brain!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 11,210
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #6

    Hi there

    I sometimes SCREAM at the PC or bash a monitor if a Stock trade goes wrong !!! -- Not sure a Mobile phone would put up with such abuse -- I know a Tablet wouldn't -- just even LOOKING at a tablet probably makes the glass want to shatter.

    Nothing wrong with W10 for 100% Desktop operation -- you can turn off Cortana, remove all the metro stuff from the start menu and make it run identically to W7 (albeit a bit faster).

    I don't think things like Cortana would be very popular in that Scourge of the 20th century - carried forward into this one -- "The Open Plan Office". I'm sure Enterprise versions will disable those sorts of things in any case.

    For Visually impaired people Cortana could be a great improvement over stuff that's already there but for the rest of us -- no thanks if I'm in an Office workplace.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    teachermark said:
    No you aren't.

    I, for one, don't need the childish tiles and data gathering browsers on my computer. I don't need the stupid games and connections to XBox, either. I don't need TV, music and video players assaulting me with Taylor Swift and infantile boy band hype. If I want the weather update I'll look out the window!

    My computer isn't a toy.

    Thankfully, with knowledge, patience and online forums like this at my disposal, it's possible to remove (almost) all traces of the Microsoft attempt to Apple-fy my brain!
    You forgot "And get off my grass!"
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 11,210
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #8

    Mystere said:
    You forgot "And get off my grass!"
    Hi there

    Some people used to have other ideas. -- Glad W10 has essentially moved away from that W8 type of Kiddy Interface (Back to the Future !!!).

    Remember THIS !!!!!

    Desktop Operating System-aol.png

    I suspect there are some younger members of this forum who thinks DOS means Desktop Operating System too !!!!! probably never having ever booted up a Pre windows OS. !!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 103
    32-bit Windows 10 Pro - Build 1607/14393.51
       #9

    Turning off the live tiles helps a lot. Right click on the tile to turn off the live part, then Unpin From Start if it still bugs you (I did this with Xbox).

    You can then, if that still bugs you, go all the way back with Classic Shell or Start10.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 33
    Windows11 Pro
       #10

    paulsalter said:
    My 10 has a desktop, works almost identical to previous versions of windows
    +1 to that
    I was showing someone my new operating system running its desktop, they said "it looks great ,but I thought you had this new windows 10"
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums