Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    16 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10

    file explorer windows 10 pdf preview pane


    can anyone help me in windows 7, I was able to to go into file explorer and would be able to see the document in the preview pane using PDF viewer Plus. Now I am unable to see anything. I cant seem to see any way to configure the file explorer to see any pdf files. Word files ok just seems to be the pdf files.
    Any help would be great thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 212
    10 (Free upgrade)

    Find any PDF file.
    Right click on it.
    Select 'Open with...'
    Select 'Choose another app'
    Select 'More apps'
    Choose the app you like (PDF viewer Plus)
    Check 'Always use this app to open .pdf files'
    Click OK.

    Hopefully Explorer can now find and open these files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    16 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Already set pdf files to open with PDF Viewer Plus and will open files no problem only cannot see in the preview pane in Explorer when highlighted in detail mode. If I double click on the file it will open no problem, but I used to be able to highlight each file and preview what was in the file in the preview window in Explorer without opening the file. I hope that explains myself a little better. Thanks again for the quick reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by teachermark View Post
    Find any PDF file.
    Right click on it.
    Select 'Open with...'
    Select 'Choose another app'
    Select 'More apps'
    Choose the app you like (PDF viewer Plus)
    Check 'Always use this app to open .pdf files'
    Click OK.

    Hopefully Explorer can now find and open these files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    20 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Microsoft Said


    Hi Folks,
    Anyone with the same problem viewing their PDF files in the new File Explorer?

    After some hours waiting for Microsoft on the phone. I have been told that File Explorer will not support PDF files in the Preview Pane at this stage, maybe in upcoming updates and they would let me know. Can't believe they didn't think about this as everyone I know has PDF files and to see them in the preview pane is the best way to go instead of opening each one to see what is in them. I think the File Explorer in Windows 7 was far better than this one.

    If anyone has a work around until such time as its fixed that would be great. I will look around for another file viewer that might work if there is one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    20 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 145
    Win 10 preview 10074

    Quote Originally Posted by Charwend View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Anyone with the same problem viewing their PDF files in the new File Explorer?

    After some hours waiting for Microsoft on the phone. I have been told that File Explorer will not support PDF files in the Preview Pane at this stage, maybe in upcoming updates and they would let me know. Can't believe they didn't think about this as everyone I know has PDF files and to see them in the preview pane is the best way to go instead of opening each one to see what is in them. I think the File Explorer in Windows 7 was far better than this one.

    If anyone has a work around until such time as its fixed that would be great. I will look around for another file viewer that might work if there is one.
    It works fine on my Win10 system. I click on pdf file and the preview view shows its contents.



    I tried four or five pdfs they all worked but one - so it may be dependent of the pdf file/version itself.
    I have no other pdf views installed except the standard Adobe pdf program and Office 2013.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for the reply


    It seems you have more skills than Microsoft. Many thanks for the reply.

    Did you upgrade on a new install?

    I wondering if there maybe some problems there as i have had a couple of small problems I been able to fix.

    Will have a look at Adobe again but it didn't want to work for me either. Seems MIcrosoft Support don't know their own software even after contacting one of their supervisors.

    If you did a clean install I might have to go down that track. New operating systems can be a pain.

    Thanks again for the reply and info as it gives me something to work with now.

    Kindest Regards

    Charlie


    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
    It works fine on my Win10 system. I click on pdf file and the preview view shows its contents.



    I tried four or five pdfs they all worked but one - so it may be dependent of the pdf file/version itself.
    I have no other pdf views installed except the standard Adobe pdf program and Office 2013.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 145
    Win 10 preview 10074

    Quote Originally Posted by Charwend View Post
    It seems you have more skills than Microsoft. Many thanks for the reply.

    Did you upgrade on a new install?
    Charlie
    I'm the latest Win10 Pro version. Maybe Home version acts differently.
    All of the Windows updates available have been installed. I did an upgrade (not clean install) from Win8.1 Pro and had Adobe Reader on the system before going to Win10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks CountryBumkin

    Only difference is upgrading from 7 instead of 8.1 so must be fixable issue in my upgrade. Many thanks for confirming the problem and gives me some ammunition if I get back to Microsoft again.

    Kindest Regards
    Charlie

    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
    I'm the latest Win10 Pro version. Maybe Home version acts differently.
    All of the Windows updates available have been installed. I did an upgrade (not clean install) from Win8.1 Pro and had Adobe Reader on the system before going to Win10.
    Great News changed PDF viewer to Adobe then opened Adobe and it asked for Adobe to be the default reader.. I accepted this and now I can see my files in the preview pane.

    I was also able to change back to my reader without a problem so must have had a glitch. But happy to share what fixed the problem.
    Last edited by Charwend; 21 Aug 2015 at 02:06.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Sep 2015 #9
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 1
    win 10

    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
    It works fine on my Win10 system. I click on pdf file and the preview view shows its contents.



    I tried four or five pdfs they all worked but one - so it may be dependent of the pdf file/version itself.
    I have no other pdf views installed except the standard Adobe pdf program and Office 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charwend View Post
    It seems you have more skills than Microsoft. Many thanks for the reply.

    Did you upgrade on a new install?

    I wondering if there maybe some problems there as i have had a couple of small problems I been able to fix.

    Will have a look at Adobe again but it didn't want to work for me either. Seems MIcrosoft Support don't know their own software even after contacting one of their supervisors.

    If you did a clean install I might have to go down that track. New operating systems can be a pain.

    Thanks again for the reply and info as it gives me something to work with now.

    Kindest Regards

    Charlie
    I am experiencing the same problem since upgrading to win 10 however I think that the problem is associated with the softwarre that creates the PDF - for example all PDF files I have created using my HP ENVY 7640 scanner show up in the preview pane without problem but all PDF files I have downloaded from my online banking DO NOT SHOW UP correctly, PDF files created by Quickbooks show small parts of the file which are images - logo but now text

    Would also welcome a workaround if anyone has found such a solution
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Pro - what ever the latest Insider build is

    I have the same problem with the latest build (what ever it is I will have it). I have gone into the Default App tool and set the default file opener for PDFs but Windows still doesn't display the file in the preview pane.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer
How to I turn on Thumbnail Preview for my JPEG 's in File Exploere?
General Support
Solved File names in Left Panel of File Explorer
A brief apology: I'm probably too old to mess with this stuff (pulling 80,) but I like to try. Please be patient with me, and ask for details if I am not stating my problem clearly. I have searched, but could not find this problem already...
General Support
Solved Windows/File Explorer Issue
Hello, This is my first post, I am currently having issues browsing my files due to Windows File Explorer Every time I try to look at any files via either File explorer or try to upload files to web, Windows/File Explorer Immediately crashes...
General Support
Solved blue File menu on File Explorer
The File menu on Explorer has some useful shortcuts 11606 . If you select / highlight a folder in File Explorer and and then pick Open Command Prompt, then the Current Directory (CD) in Cmd is the folder selected in file Explorer. You don't...
General Support
Share from File Explorer in Windows 10 Technical Preview
Source...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums