Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    16 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 16
    windows 10

    Why is the "change only text size" greyed out?


    I'm logged in an admin account and it's greyed out. I searched online and it seems some people have this issue as well but I couldn't find a solution.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bitmap Image.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	31699
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,036
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Click on "set a custom scaling level" and change it to say 125%. Click Apply, Sign Out, Sign back in. You should be able to change the Text Size.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    18 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 624
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Click on "set a custom scaling level" and change it to say 125%. Click Apply, Sign Out, Sign back in. You should be able to change the Text Size.
    It will still be grayed out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 624
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bl View Post
    I'm logged in an admin account and it's greyed out. I searched online and it seems some people have this issue as well but I couldn't find a solution.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bitmap Image.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	31699
    Yes, this has been broken since the beginning of Previews. If you are comfortable working with regedit, go to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

    and you can tweak the xxxFont entries. Just change the first hex byte - I use eb instead of the default f1. You'll need to sign out/sign in for it to take effect.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    18 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 31,426
    Dual boot Windows 10 Pro x 64 CU build 15063 & Insider Build 16273

    Looks as though the system may not be activated, therefore personalization is blocked.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    18 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 624
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Looks as though the system may not be activated, therefore personalization is blocked.
    That has nothing to do with it. In my fully activated and verified system, I see the same thing, and have since Technical Preview 1 back in October.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    18 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 616
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Yes, this has been broken since the beginning of Previews. If you are comfortable working with regedit, go to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

    and you can tweak the xxxFont entries. Just change the first hex byte - I use eb instead of the default f1. You'll need to sign out/sign in for it to take effect.
    Lies!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	32262

    I clicked "set a custom scaling level" and changed it from 125% to 100% and it's no longer grayed out. Donno why it was set to 125%, I didn't change it and see no difference after changing and re-login.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    18 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 31,426
    Dual boot Windows 10 Pro x 64 CU build 15063 & Insider Build 16273

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    That has nothing to do with it. In my fully activated and verified system, I see the same thing, and have since Technical Preview 1 back in October.
    Ok. I was talking generally and not necessarily directing it at you, but also the OP. It does have everything to do with it if a system is not activated. Just went through that due to losing activation. Once I got it activated this is no longer greyed out and indeed works as seen below. However, I see it's not the case with you.

    Is yours a fresh installed system?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP Settings Snip.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	32266
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    18 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 624
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    I upgraded from 8.1 Pro, then used the ISO to do a clean install. All validated, verified, and activated. Did you change the overall scaling? I have to use 125% (my poor broken eyes). I think the individual font size dropdown thing might work if you never touched that setting...


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Ok. I was talking generally and not necessarily directing it at you, but also the OP. It does have everything to do with it if a system is not activated. Just went through that due to losing activation. Once I got it activated this is no longer greyed out and indeed works as seen below. However, I see it's not the case with you.

    Is yours a fresh installed system?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP Settings Snip.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	32266
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    18 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 624
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    Excuse me? "Lies!"?

    Quote Originally Posted by fracking4oil View Post
    Lies!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	32262

    I clicked "set a custom scaling level" and changed it from 125% to 100% and it's no longer grayed out. Donno why it was set to 125%, I didn't change it and see no difference after changing and re-login.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How Can I Change The "From" Email When "Sharing" A Scan?
I'm using the Scan app that came with Windows 10. Scanning with a Canon MG5520. When I complete a scan, and I'm offered the opportunity to Share the screenshot, the "From" email defaults to my GMail address. I have nothing against GMail,...
Network and Sharing
How to edit "All apps" icon and text in Windows 10 Start Menu
Hello I wonder if there is a way (through editing system files or registry) to change Windows 10 Start Menu "All apps" to something else like "My Programs". Also where is the icon file located in the system and how to change the default icon. ...
Customization
Does anyone know if we can change "All Apps" back to "All Programs"?
I really don't like the term "All Apps" on the new Start menu. I would like to put it back to "All Programs". Does anyone have any idea if this can be changed? I don't use "apps". I'm not a mobile device user; I have a custom-built tower and I...
Customization
"Advanced sizing of text…" does not work.
Hello, Trying to change the text size - and I was able to, to 24 across the board, under "advanced sizing of text and other items". Now when I try to change it again, to make it smaller, 24 is too large, the only thing that happens is the task...
General Support
Solved How do you remove "Shortcut" text from link
The Windows 7 registry mod to remove the "Shortcut" text from shortcut links does not seem to work in Windows 10 Build 1074. Is there a mod for Windows 10 to remove "Shortcut" text from links?
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums