Windows 10: Music folder 'arrange by' function Solved

  1.    14 Aug 2015 #1

    Music folder 'arrange by' function


    Hello,

    There is a great feature in win7 explorer that you can arrange your music in the music folder by a few options such as albums, genre and artist.
    There is a way to get it again in win10 explorer?


    Example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2O8Zx6n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	31368
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       14 Aug 2015 #2

    d00msword said: View Post
    Hello,

    There is a great feature in win7 explorer that you can arrange your music in the music folder by a few options such as albums, genre and artist.
    There is a way to get it again in win10 explorer?
    Libraries are still in Win10. You might have to right click the navigation pane of File Explorer and select Show Libraries. Then you have to put the folders with the music in the Music Library - nothing has really changed.

    edit: a little bit has changed - there's a manage library tab on explorer that open a manage library on the ribbon - that's how you configure libraries - you used to do that on the properties page.

    Tip: In File Explorer, right click on the folder you want to include in a Library, select Include in Library > and then pick which library from the expanded list.
    Last edited by Slartybart; 14 Aug 2015 at 19:00.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Aug 2015 #3

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Libraries are still in Win10. You might have to right click the navigation pane of File Explorer and select Show Libraries. Then you have to put the folders with the music in the Music Library - nothing has really changed.

    edit: a little bit has changed - there's a manage library tab on explorer that open a manage library on the ribbon - that's how you configure libraries - you used to do that on the properties page.

    Tip: In File Explorer, right click on the folder you want to include in a Library, select Include in Library > and then pick which library from the expanded list.
    Still, I can't see the arrange by option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       15 Aug 2015 #4

    I don't think this has changed since Libraries were introduced, but ... try this

    Navigate to the Music Library, right click an open area

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	libContextMenu.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	31555

    This only works in Libraries - you're screen shot in post 1 shows the Music Library - just wanted to make sure that you're not trying to arrange objects in a normal folder

    Post a screen shot showing what you see when you right click the open area of the Library if that doesn't help
    Grab the entire screen (PrtScrn key) so the context menu is included (it's tricky to get those sometimes )

    Sometimes it's a just matter of fiddling with the Arrange by and View. You could also try right clicking Libraries in the navigation pane and select Restore default libraries, but then you'll have to add the folders you want presented back into the library.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	libRestDefs.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	31558
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Aug 2015 #5

    Slartybart said: View Post
    I don't think this has changed since Libraries were introduced, but ... try this

    Navigate to the Music Library, right click an open area

    This only works in Libraries - you're screen shot in post 1 shows the Music Library - just wanted to make sure that you're not trying to arrange objects in a normal folder

    Post a screen shot showing what you see when you right click the open area of the Library if that doesn't help
    Grab the entire screen (PrtScrn key) so the context menu is included (it's tricky to get those sometimes )

    Sometimes it's a just matter of fiddling with the Arrange by and View. You could also try right clicking Libraries in the navigation pane and select Restore default libraries, but then you'll have to add the folders you want presented back into the library.
    OK, I think I got it.
    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       16 Aug 2015 #6

    d00msword said: View Post
    OK, I think I got it.
    Thanks.
    Glad you got it sorted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Arrange your Windows in a Snap in Windows 10 News
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/04/arrange-your-windows-in-a-snap/ https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4343-aero-snap-turn-off-windows-10-a.html ...
I have mu music collection on a QNAP NAS. This is mapped as a network drive. I can add this a loacation for Groove to get it's music from but while it accepts this is doesn;t actualkly find any music even though it's there. Odd thing the old...
When I had Windows 7, I had literally every single thing in My Documents. Every song, every file, every tax record, every picture...literally everything. That way, when I backed up my hard drive, I just plugged in the My Passport Ultra drive,...
Most of my folders don't even have an "Arrange by" option when saving photos in Firefox but one particular folder does. This folder has a lot of folders in it and I sort by date modified so I can see the last images saved, but with this "Arrange by"...
Source: Access your personal music collection from OneDrive with the Xbox Music app
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45.
Find Us