1.    13 Aug 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10

    C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade


    Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this.

    So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware).
    Today I was fiddling around and customizing it, when I noticed that all of my files that were previously saved on my C: Drive were now on my D: drive, like my Program Files and, well, basically everything I ever downloaded.
    Should I be worried? I've heard that things like Program files are MEANT to be on the C: Drive, whereas the D: drive is meant for windows files...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 354
    Widows 10/Linux

    Please post a couple of screenshots of file explorer open at your c and d drives.

    Something like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fe.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	31126
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Aug 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	31127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	31128

    All of my downloaded programs are located in the D: Drive
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,251
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.483

    Looks like you have Windows 10 on C: and Vista on D: (going by the dates of the folders shown).

    Make sure you check that Windows 10 is Activated as not doing an upgrade means it will not activate is it's the free version from Microsoft.

    Right clik on This PC and go to the bottom of the window.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    13 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,624
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0nn0se View Post
    Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this.

    So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware).
    Today I was fiddling around and customizing it, when I noticed that all of my files that were previously saved on my C: Drive were now on my D: drive, like my Program Files and, well, basically everything I ever downloaded.
    Should I be worried? I've heard that things like Program files are MEANT to be on the C: Drive, whereas the D: drive is meant for windows files...
    The default is to have the OS on C:, and program files there as well. 64 bit programs go in Program Files, and 32 bit ones in Program Files (X86).

    The mess that you have now may be partly related to it not being allowed to upgrade Vista to Windows 10. Your new 10 installation is in the default location. Whoever installed 10 should have tidied things up for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Aug 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    Looks like you have Windows 10 on C: and Vista on D: (going by the dates of the folders shown).

    Make sure you check that Windows 10 is Activated as not doing an upgrade means it will not activate is it's the free version from Microsoft.

    Right clik on This PC and go to the bottom of the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    The default is to have the OS on C:, and program files there as well. 64 bit programs go in Program Files, and 32 bit ones in Program Files (X86).

    The mess that you have now may be partly related to it not being allowed to upgrade Vista to Windows 10. Your new 10 installation is in the default location. Whoever installed 10 should have tidied things up for you.
    Thank you to both of you for replying.

    Ztruker, I did as you said, and went to the Properties of This PC and it said that Windows is activated, though I'm still not clear on what that means.

    Now that I understand the situation better, can someone tell me the necessary steps to fix it? Should I transfer all of my program files/files that are on D: to C: ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,624
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0nn0se View Post
    Thank you to both of you for replying.

    Ztruker, I did as you said, and went to the Properties of This PC and it said that Windows is activated, though I'm still not clear on what that means.

    Now that I understand the situation better, can someone tell me the necessary steps to fix it? Should I transfer all of my program files/files that are on D: to C: ?
    You want Windows to be activated. Win 10 will run for a time without activation, but I don't know for how long.

    It's not easy to move program files if they were installed. (Installed programs make entries in the Windows Registry. Experts can move them; I can't.) Do the programs still run at all?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Aug 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    You want Windows to be activated. Win 10 will run for a time without activation, but I don't know for how long.

    It's not easy to move program files if they were installed. (Installed programs make entries in the Windows Registry. Experts can move them; I can't.) Do the programs still run at all?
    When I say, "move," I mean copy program files from D: to C:, then possibly delete the D: drive original copy.

    No, when I try to access programs located in D: from the file explorer, they simply fail to open. No process appears in the task manager, nothing. However, programs I re-downloaded on Windows 10 are able to use program files from the D:/Vista drive just fine.

    Should I just reinstall all programs I want/need on Windows 10? Should I leave the Vista side alone... or should I clean it all up?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to migrate files without confusing One Drive
I have a question which I just can't seem to find a straight answer to. I even tried contacting Microsoft support about it, but regretted that rather quickly, sadly. My question is this: I have circa 200 GB of files fully synced with...
General Support
Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive?
Hi, I've newly installed W10 Pro and am constantly being pestered with permission nags (see attached) while attempting to reorganise files within the Local Disk. I've tried changing the User permissions via "Properties>Security" but...
General Support
Win 8.1 / Win 10 Program Files on another drive
Hello, Since a few weeks i have a new pc with 256GB SSD and 1TB hdd. My windows is installed on the ssd. My problem is that my ssd becomes in a few days full when i install all my programs. I tried several ways to get my programs to another...
Installation and Upgrade
Change default program files location to drive other than C?
There is the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion but changing the location in there, doesn't appear to be doing anything. I have a relatively small SSD and I can not install everything to my C drive. I...
Installation and Upgrade
No Google Drive files in Windows search results
I am also asking this question on the Google Product Forums. Basically, the Google Drive folder is synced onto my data partition. Files are present on my HDD, the whole folder is indexed, but nothing inside it comes up in my Windows search...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:51.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums