Windows unrepairable broken files (No solution worked)


  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
       #1

    Windows unrepairable broken files (No solution worked)


    Hello,
    I have Windows 10 Version 2004 (Build 19041.329).
    Now my problem is, I was overclocking the last days. You probably know that overclocking includes many many bluescreens.
    This is what happened, but what I didn't think of was, that the bluescreens are causing damage to my Windows installation and other files.
    I tried running "sfc /scannow" (also tried it in safemode) but there are files it cannot repair.
    So I tried the dism checkhealth command and ran sfc again. Still couldn't repair everything.
    It got worse, after some time dism couldn't find a source anymore, so I tried adding a source with an Windows ISO, but it wouldn't accept it still saying, that it needs a source.

    Basically I have an kinda broken installation now and the repair commands are not working anymore. (No hope with sfc and dism. I litterally tried EVERYTHING with these).

    I really want to avoid an reinstallation at all cost.

    Also I cannot ignore the broken files, because my Windows is kinda glitchy right now. Sometimes my explorer just restarts multiple times when doing something for example.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35,443
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    Hi,
    Now my problem is, I was overclocking the last days. You probably know that overclocking includes many many bluescreens.
    Stop overclocking.

    First check your disk and file system.
    E.g. HDTune (free) v2.55 Health and Error Scan e.g. from Softpedia.com
    If ok, run
    chkdsk c: /scan
    from an admin command or Powershell prompt.
    If ok, now you have stopped overclocking, similarly run
    SFC /SCANNOW

    If that still fails, attempt an in-place upgrade repair install which, like any upgrade, keeps progs and data. Tutorial available.

    You need a compatible build 2004 iso file, freely downloadable - tutorial available if needed.Short instructions:
    Rt click the iso file, click Mount, open the new drive letter in file explorer, double click setup.exe.


    I really want to avoid an reinstallation at all costs.
    As that's important to you, you should follow the so, so often given advice to routinely use disk imaging.
    E.g. Macrium reflect (free) + large enough external storage for image files.
    Can save you from unbootable cases, failed disk, stolen PC.. (you can restore to a new PC and your OS may well run again)....
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Hi,

    Stop overclocking.

    First check your disk and file system.
    E.g. HDTune (free) v2.55 Health and Error Scan e.g. from Softpedia.com
    If ok, run
    chkdsk c: /scan
    from an admin command or Powershell prompt.
    If ok, now you have stopped overclocking, similarly run
    SFC /SCANNOW

    If that still fails, attempt an in-place upgrade repair install which, like any upgrade, keeps progs and data. Tutorial available.

    You need a compatible build 2004 iso file, freely downloadable - tutorial available if needed.Short instructions:
    Rt click the iso file, click Mount, open the new drive letter in file explorer, double click setup.exe.



    As that's important to you, you should follow the so, so often given advice to routinely use disk imaging.
    E.g. Macrium reflect (free) + large enough external storage for image files.
    Can save you from unbootable cases, failed disk, stolen PC.. (you can restore to a new PC and your OS may well run again)....
    I did the check with HDTune, ran chkdsk and sfc scannow, but still unrepairable files.
    I'm gonna try to make an in-place upgrade repair now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    Hi,
    If that still fails, attempt an in-place upgrade repair install [B]which, like any upgrade, keeps progs and data. Tutorial available.
    This actually fixxed everything! And I really kept everything.
    Thank you soo much! You actually saved me lol.
    I never knew, that this feature is actually a really good repairing method.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 35,443
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #4

    Great- you're lucky this time.

    Now, before anything breaks- or you break something (surely not..) start using disk imaging and make it a regular habit.

    E.g. select all partitions comprising Windows, create a backup job to make it easy in future, and create a disk image file (a compressed copy of the used parts of those partitions) on external storage.

    Thereafter you can use e.g. differential imaging (smaller, faster) until the next feature update or in-place upgrade repair, when you start again. E.g Macrium Reflect (free- paid).
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    dalchina said:
    Now, before anything breaks- or you break something (surely not..) start using disk imaging and make it a regular habit.
    I will definitly do that, thanks alot!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 625
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x64
       #6

    Your error messages are very likely unstable RAM, including, but not limited to false file-not-found errors. File errors when in Windows=Most likely need to back off on the DDR4 SDRAM frequency or latencies too low, if you changed the DDR4 SDRAM latencies!

    Core instability usually looks like this:

    "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD, (0x0000000A) usually rears its ugly head in games.
    This is a common BSOD error code with CPU-multi-only overclocking.
    Or a hard freeze under a processor-taxing task. Also, a buzzing sound is common during a crash with an unstable CPU.

    If Linpack fails with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD, then increase the Vcore or back off on the CPU core frequency.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 7,122
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #7

    Savvy overclockers always ensure they have a full working backup to recover from!
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    RJARRRPCGP said:
    Your error messages are very likely unstable RAM, including, but not limited to false file-not-found errors. File errors when in Windows=Most likely need to back off on the DDR4 SDRAM frequency or latencies too low, if you changed the DDR4 SDRAM latencies!

    Core instability usually looks like this:

    "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD, (0x0000000A) usually rears its ugly head in games.
    This is a common BSOD error code with CPU-multi-only overclocking.
    Or a hard freeze under a processor-taxing task. Also, a buzzing sound is common during a crash with an unstable CPU.

    If Linpack fails with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD, then increase the Vcore or back off on the CPU core frequency.
    "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" makes sense.. I saw it often but I thought it's impossible to find out which OC was causing it, without disabling every OC.
    But this was a while ago, I fixxed it already.

    Thanks for letting me know!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Steve C said:
    Savvy overclockers always ensure they have a full working backup to recover from!
    Normally yes. I think I've learned from it now.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 18,152
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1766 (x64) [21H2]
       #9

    Definitely start using backups, and probably the most important part of any backup software is the ability to make bootable media (CD or USB), so you can access your backups when Windows won't boot.

    /e I like Macrium Reflect 7 the best. It's free and only runs one process and one service.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:43.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums