Power Options Keep Resetting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 140
    Windows 10
       #11

    Well, the Event Viewer should show these power plan resets, so at least you'll at least be able to see exactly when it happens and what other apps and Windows functions may be running at the same time.

    There should be entries of the form
    {whatever did it} reset policy scheme from {previous plan} to {current plan}.

    You can just search for "reset" in Event Viewer to find all the reset events.

    If Windows is doing it, then powercfg should be what reset the policy scheme.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 167
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Eksy61 said:
    Well, the Event Viewer should show these power plan resets, so at least you'll at least be able to see exactly when it happens and what other apps and Windows functions may be running at the same time.

    There should be entries of the form
    {whatever did it} reset policy scheme from {previous plan} to {current plan}.

    You can just search for "reset" in Event Viewer to find all the reset events.

    If Windows is doing it, then powercfg should be what reset the policy scheme.
    I'm going to examine this for a bit then I'll get back to you. I just reset my power plan to what I want it to and I'll see if I can track when it changes and why. Thanks for the tip.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Eksy61 said:
    Well, the Event Viewer should show these power plan resets, so at least you'll at least be able to see exactly when it happens and what other apps and Windows functions may be running at the same time.

    There should be entries of the form
    {whatever did it} reset policy scheme from {previous plan} to {current plan}.

    You can just search for "reset" in Event Viewer to find all the reset events.

    If Windows is doing it, then powercfg should be what reset the policy scheme.
    I think the culprit is Bitdefender. I did a search for "reset" a you said, once I noted that the Power Options were changed again. The weird thing about it is, is that the Event Viewer says my power options have been reset from <key name> to <key name>. Both Keys are identical.

    After searching the internet, I cannot find an actual solution. Any suggestions that are known to work?
      My Computer

  3. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,737
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1266
       #13

    Uninstall Bitdefender, use Windows Defender. Does the problem go away?
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 167
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Ztruker said:
    Uninstall Bitdefender, use Windows Defender. Does the problem go away?
    I'm unwilling to do that, but what I'm trying right now, is disabling an option in Bitdefender:
    1. Settings
    2. Profiles tab
    3. Disable (move the slider to the left) Activate Profiles Automatically

    I'll report back to see if that fixes the problem, and usually, that tends to be about a day or so.
    Basically when decided the culprit could be Bitdefender, I went searching around for Profile settings in Bitdefender, when I found this option. While it was set to the automatic position, I noticed that Bitdefender had the Game Profile profile in use. I clicked the Configure option, and found a checkbox, so I tried unchecking Adjust Power Plan settings for games and noticed that the setting did not retain, thus after saving the configuration and going back into it, it was checked, again. I'm wondering why that is. Furthermore, I'm wondering if this is in fact the culprit, why it decided to be a problem just lately.
      My Computer

  5. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,737
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1266
       #15

    Curious, why are you unwilling to uninstall Bitdefender for testing purposes? Windows Defender is an excellent AV program so you are not exposing your system to security problems.

    Anyway, good luck, hope you can nail this down soon.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 167
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Ztruker said:
    Curious, why are you unwilling to uninstall Bitdefender for testing purposes? Windows Defender is an excellent AV program so you are not exposing your system to security problems.

    Anyway, good luck, hope you can nail this down soon.
    Probably just being lazy. LOL

    But I'm pretty sure Bitdefender is/was the culprit. A day later after disabling automatic profiles and the problem seems to have gone away. That is, my Power Options have not reset themselves. It woud've happened by now.
      My Computer

  7. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,737
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1266
       #17

    That's great, glad you go it fixed.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 167
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Ztruker said:
    That's great, glad you go it fixed.
    I'm not 100% sure I fixed it but I do keep checking my Windows power profile and it seems to stick. I'll give it a couple of days before I decide this was the actual fix.

    One thing that remains a mystery to me is, in Bitdefender, why I cannot uncheck Adjust Power Plan settings and have the setting stick. I'll take that up with Bitdefender, though. My computer is fast enough that I don't have to depend on profiles being adjusted, anyways. It's nearly 6 years old, I believe and still going strong (knock on wood). In fact, the only thing I can't handle right now is any of the new RTX features, whatever they bring to the table. i don't have any interest in games that used that, actually.
      My Computer

  9. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 15,893
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1469 (x64) [21H2]
       #19

    JOSHSKORN said:
    I'm unwilling to do that, but what I'm trying right now, is disabling an option in Bitdefender:
    1. Settings
    2. Profiles tab
    3. Disable (move the slider to the left) Activate Profiles Automatically

    I'll report back to see if that fixes the problem, and usually, that tends to be about a day or so.
    Basically when decided the culprit could be Bitdefender, I went searching around for Profile settings in Bitdefender, when I found this option. While it was set to the automatic position, I noticed that Bitdefender had the Game Profile profile in use. I clicked the Configure option, and found a checkbox, so I tried unchecking Adjust Power Plan settings for games and noticed that the setting did not retain, thus after saving the configuration and going back into it, it was checked, again. I'm wondering why that is. Furthermore, I'm wondering if this is in fact the culprit, why it decided to be a problem just lately.
    I run Bitdefender Internet Security 2020 (I don't use profiles at all). It has never messed with my power settings.
    It's good to know however, what using profiles will do.

    The ONLY modules I use in BDIS are the AV, the firewall, and the Advanced Threat Defense. Everything else is disabled.
      My Computer

  10. Stigg's Avatar
    Posts : 509
    Windows 10 Pro
       #20

    Eksy61 said:
    A while back, my Power Plans also started getting changed for no obvious reason. But in my case, it had nothing to do with Windows. It turned out that a third-party application, ASUS AiSuite, was resetting the power plans to be consistent with the power settings it had created for my CPU. I found this out by running Event Viewer and noting when the power plan was getting reset.

    If you have AiSuite or any other third-party app that tries to optimize performance on your PC, it may be resetting the power plans itself.
    My ASUS Zephyrus M laptop power plan keeps changing from Balanced to High Performance. I'll have to check this when I am on it.

    I thought it must have been the Windows 10 v2004 update. Maybe not.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums