General UEFI Question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 63
    win10 insider
       #11

    Surely even with fast boot on you can still access the bios from a cold start (not a restart) by pressing F12 or DEL or whatever your mobo requires? I can anyway.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 472
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit v1803 build 17133.73
       #12

    Shut down pc/laptop. press and hold down f2. Restart pc/laptop while still holding f2 down, release when you see bios. enjoy.

    note: IMPORTANT. DON'T BE REFLASHING THE BIOS FOR THIS. warned.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 14,601
    Windows 10 IoT
       #13

    If it's a laptop, power down, remove the battery, unplug the power pack, press and hold the power button for say 10 seconds. Then plug everything back in and power up, pressing your BIOS access key. If it's a desktop PC it's the same only no battery to remove. This should kill what ever hibernation state your in and give you an actual cold boot.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
       #14

    brianwall said:
    Surely even with fast boot on you can still access the bios from a cold start (not a restart) by pressing F12 or DEL or whatever your mobo requires? I can anyway.
    I've been having trouble with restart as well from inside the Windows environment. Weirdly enough, when I do a cold start F12 does nothing - no option to do so even presents itself. However, if I restart from the Windows login screen it does actually restart and I can F12 from there.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4,457
    Win 11 Pro 22000.708
       #15

    brianwall said:
    You do this in the BIOS so don't need windows loaded.
    If "rezpower" referred to the settings in the Power control panel, it's definitely in Windows.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 14,601
    Windows 10 IoT
       #16

    brianwall said:
    You do this in the BIOS so don't need windows loaded.
    Don't confuse the BIOS Fast Boot option with Windows Fast Startup option. Two totally different things, you can't turn off Windows Fast Startup from the BIOS. One issue with it is, it puts the PC in a hybrid sleep mode instead of a complete shutdown. Coming out of this mode bypasses the option to enter the BIOS. For a lot of PC's it does anyway. It's been an issue for me so I turn it off. I have an SSD so its not going to speed thing up to where it would be noticeable anyway. What rezpower posted is how you turn it off in Windows. It won't work though if you can't actually boot into windows.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 14,601
    Windows 10 IoT
       #17

    lopedoggie said:
    Shut down pc/laptop. press and hold down f2. Restart pc/laptop while still holding f2 down, release when you see bios. enjoy.

    note: IMPORTANT. DON'T BE REFLASHING THE BIOS FOR THIS. warned.
    That's not universal across all laptops though. F2 won't do anything on boot on my laptop.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 12,733
    Windows 11 Pro
       #18

    alphanumeric said:
    Don't confuse the BIOS Fast Boot option with Windows Fast Startup option. Two totally different things, you can't turn off Windows Fast Startup from the BIOS. One issue with it is, it puts the PC in a hybrid sleep mode instead of a complete shutdown. Coming out of this mode bypasses the option to enter the BIOS. For a lot of PC's it does anyway. It's been an issue for me so I turn it off. I have an SSD so its not going to speed thing up to where it would be noticeable anyway. What rezpower posted is how you turn it off in Windows. It won't work though if you can't actually boot into windows.

    It can also cause problems when you have a separate OS installed on another disk. The Hybrid Sleep option does not dismount the disks. It wanted to run check disk on every hard drive I had with it on. I turned it off in the OS, and now I have no problem.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 471
    Windows 10 Pro
       #19

    I placed two .bat files on my desktop. One to completely shutdown the pc, on to take advantage of the hybrid shutdown. Now if I want to boot into my Linux OS I use the .bat for complete shutdown, otherwise I chose the hybrid shutdown one.
    Last edited by altae; 14 Aug 2015 at 07:26.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums